Best preventative for ticks on mature dogs??

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
This year, has seen very few ticks on my dogs--until 2 weeks ago. Anytime they get away from the house now, out into the woods, they return loaded.
I've tried the usual stuff from the vet to no avail.

I cannot tie them or lock them into the yard--they are our security and livestock watch in the pasture. (I don't believe in tying up dogs anyway)
Anyone got any suggestions?

We've used frontline and it works well but only for 3 weeks, then it needs applying again.

I don't know if you have it there or is under another name but I have had most success with Proban tablets daily especially for the paralysis ticks we have here where one tick can kill a dog if it is not found. The Proban prevents the seed tick from attaching and injecting the toxin into the dog.
Ken

greybeard":o1bdmj3c said:
This year, has seen very few ticks on my dogs--until 2 weeks ago. Anytime they get away from the house now, out into the woods, they return loaded.

I cannot tie them or lock them into the yard--they are our security and livestock watch in the pasture. (I don't believe in tying up dogs anyway)

What kind of tick?

http://www.dogsandticks.com/ticks/

Maybe try this site, will probably narrow down the options for treatments.

I double up on the tick preventatives for my dogs. I use the generic Frontline Plus (fipronil) and Preventic collars. The fipronil needs reapplying every month but the Preventic collars last all tick season up here (April-mid Nov).

greybeard":u5n72lth said:

My dad use to keep a barrel of cattle spray mixed all the time. About one a week he would drop the dog in there and let him swim for about a minute. No idea what it was.

greybeard":17f0y145 said:

GB some friends who all coon hunt over in East Texas all used Ivomec Pour=On but gave it by mouth. I have no idea what the dosage was tho...I'm sure it was pretty small tho. Another fella I know put the Ivomec on thier back and the dog ended up dieing.

TexasBred":23kvz875 said:
GB some friends who all coon hunt over in East Texas all used Ivomec Pour=On but gave it by mouth. I have no idea what the dosage was tho...I'm sure it was pretty small tho. Another fella I know put the Ivomec on thier back and the dog ended up dieing.
Ivomec will kill border collies and some of the breeds closely related to them. I lost a mcnab a few years ago a week or so after we hit the cows with pour on and that's what I suspect happened to him but I'm really careful with the dogs that I know to have collie in them. I also know of a breeder that lost a few dogs after they chewed up a box of the horse paste wormer with ivomec in it.
My catahoulas and the mutts have all been intentionally hit with pour on and they're pest free and doing fine. :nod:

TexasBred":2og7pjf6 said:
greybeard":2og7pjf6 said:

Oral ivermectin is fairly common for heart worms although some herding dog breeds have a mutated gene that can kill them if the ivermectin dosage is too high, (I think Heartguard is ivermectin but has the right dosage)
I'm 99% sure that it does do anything for external parasites if given orally and certainly wouldn't last an entire month.

cross_7":2h1nannd said:
I'm 99% sure that it does do anything for external parasites if given orally and certainly wouldn't last an entire month.

I have no idea as I've never used so can only quote them and they swore by it.

cow pollinater":bt4inhnm said:
TexasBred":bt4inhnm said:
Ivomec will kill border collies and some of the breeds closely related to them. I lost a mcnab a few years ago a week or so after we hit the cows with pour on and that's what I suspect happened to him but I'm really careful with the dogs that I know to have collie in them. I also know of a breeder that lost a few dogs after they chewed up a box of the horse paste wormer with ivomec in it.
My catahoulas and the mutts have all been intentionally hit with pour on and they're pest free and doing fine. :nod:

I know a breeder that uses ivermectin and has never had a problem but they have always used it on pups and they may have eliminated the mutated gene from there line by killing the ones that carried it and didn't realize at the time that was the cause of death.

I've used ivermectin to treat my dogs. It is cheap, unless you over do it and then it can easily be deadly. Remember, you're talking 1000 lb animals down to around 50 lbs and difference in sensitivities.

If you read, the accepted heart worm prevention dose is 6 micrograms per kilogram from several sources. 50 lb dog is 22.6 kilograms. 22.6 * 6 mcg= 136 mcg

paste is 1.8% or 18 miligram or 18000 micrograms per cc. So you can see it would only take a fraction for heartworms (0.0075 cc) and would be easy to give an excessive amount to a dog that isn't extra sensitive.

The 1% injection is 10 mg or 10,000 micrograms per cc, so the dose would be 0.014 cc's. Those are very small volumes that need to be measured.

There are variables, but I believe many liquids are estimated to have about 20 drops per 1 cc, or .05 cc per drop. So even 1 drop would be about 3 times more than necessary, at least for that dose calculated. Decrease the size of the dog and it is even more.

Latest posts