Best Organic Grasses

Help Support CattleToday:

jrench

Reaction score
Hey,
I was wondering what would be the best organic grass seed to plant? Im in Illinois about 30 miles east of st. louis on I 70. Any help would be much appreciated :)

Didn't know there were any grasses that were not organic.
I guess you mean organically produced certified seed. What are you trying to accomplish, grazing, hay, seed? Heavy land, sandy, bottom? Cattle, horses, etc. And the big question why do you want to plant expensive organic seed when it is exactly the same as any other seed, are you planning organic production?

Eventually I would like to be certified organic for cattle. It will be for grazing. Although I wasn't sure if all grass seed was organic or if some was chemically modified. That's why I posted on here, Im new to cattle, as well as organic. I've been doing a lot of study for the past couple years and I'm about to make the leap. I have a good field now thats as organic as you can get, Im wanting to overseed it and try for a better yield of good quality grass for the cattle.

He has not answered what he is looking to do. To me an organic grass would be a native grass that would not require fertilizer like the improved grasses do??

cowboy43":18zndsc4 said:
He has not answered what he is looking to do. To me an organic grass would be a native grass that would not require fertilizer like the improved grasses do??
I had a grass listed but decided to edit it out. All grass, no matter what, needs something to eat. If the nutrients are already in place then through sustainable systems one may not have to fertilize. Fertilizer does not mean inorganic. In can be organic. It is not so much the type of grass but the availability of the nutrients needed for that particular grass. Even legumes have to have P,K, proper ph, and micro-nutrients to do well. It is not possible to say any particular grass would work not knowing about the soil conditions in which it will be growing, not to mention the climate.

Eventually I would like to be certified organic for cattle. It will be for grazing. Although I wasn't sure if all grass seed was organic or if some was chemically modified. That's why I posted on here, Im new to cattle, as well as organic. I've been doing a lot of study for the past couple years and I'm about to make the leap. I have a good field now thats as organic as you can get, Im wanting to overseed it and try for a better yield of good quality grass for the cattle.

dun":1xwftz90 said:
Eventually I would like to be certified organic for cattle. It will be for grazing. Although I wasn't sure if all grass seed was organic or if some was chemically modified. That's why I posted on here, :???: Im new to cattle, as well as organic. I've been doing a lot of study for the past couple years and I'm about to make the leap. I have a good field now thats as organic as you can get, Im wanting to overseed it and try for a better yield of good quality grass for the cattle.
:???: Something don't sound right.

novatech":3et5hodx said:
dun":3et5hodx said:
Eventually I would like to be certified organic for cattle. It will be for grazing. Although I wasn't sure if all grass seed was organic or if some was chemically modified. That's why I posted on here, :???: Im new to cattle, as well as organic. I've been doing a lot of study for the past couple years and I'm about to make the leap. I have a good field now thats as organic as you can get, Im wanting to overseed it and try for a better yield of good quality grass for the cattle.
He had psoted it but it didn;t show up at the end of the thread so I just copied his post. Should have put in the quaotes to make it look right

dun":rphhdpmx said:
novatech":rphhdpmx said:
dun":rphhdpmx said:
He had psoted it but it didn;t show up at the end of the thread so I just copied his post. Should have put in the quaotes to make it look right
Dang; I was about ready to call a doctor for you. :lol2:
The grasses that come to mind are Eastern Gramma for bottom land and bluestem for well drained or draughty conditions. I do not recommend a mono culture for either condition. A good mix will usually produce better with the change in climatic conditions from year to year. A good mix is also better for the soil.

Latest posts