Best of the best

Help Support CattleToday:

It is hard to beleive we have Brahma blood in Minnesota. I have seen one calf with ear this year - - a rodeo bucking bull must have gotten out...

CowpokeJ":zjczv0gm said:
Proverbs 12:10":zjczv0gm said:
Get you some cheap longhorn cows and put the charolais bull on them. You'll get cream colored calves, hardiness, good maternal, efficient foragers, lots of beef, and NO HORNS if the bull is homogenous polled.
Yeah, but aren't you going to take a hit at the sale cause you are going to get some spots, I've got two longhorn cross now, and the babies look like charolais cross with longhorn spots. The babies picked up most of the charolais traits.

Roughly 90% of the ones I've crossed are solid cream...on the other I've used different bulls so maybe the color was not homogenous.

Proverbs 12:10":1lygn5ym said:
CowpokeJ":1lygn5ym said:
Proverbs 12:10":1lygn5ym said:
Get you some cheap longhorn cows and put the charolais bull on them. You'll get cream colored calves, hardiness, good maternal, efficient foragers, lots of beef, and NO HORNS if the bull is homogenous polled.
Yeah, but aren't you going to take a hit at the sale cause you are going to get some spots, I've got two longhorn cross now, and the babies look like charolais cross with longhorn spots. The babies picked up most of the charolais traits.

Roughly 90% of the ones I've crossed are solid cream...on the other I've used different bulls so maybe the color was not homogenous.
longhorn.jpg

Here is a Charolaisx longhorn mom. See spot. See spot run. Run spot run. He's approx 2mos. Now, I did have one with yellow spots that weighed 580 and brought 1.10.

Proverbs 12:10":1mzuregs said:

I think it's homozygous polled, and there is always a chance to get horns: 1:16 chance

Your are correct farmwife...it's homozygous...I was never accused of being an english major. I will by AIing most of our longhorns with the charolais bull Baldridge Kojack this year and I'll post pics as they hit the ground.

CowpokeJ":2vfewpiz said:
I'd be interested in seeing those. How well do longhorns typically milk?

Typically they milk good, and have good udder structure. Although there are some out there with poor structure or low milk production.

CowpokeJ":1a7nzw3j said:
I'd be interested in seeing those. How well do longhorns typically milk?

I'd say mine are about average and most have tight bags. The only problem I've had is teat size which on a few are too large.

he does most of the running. i just ride around and watch mostly.

i have used charolais bulls on the beefmaster cows in the past.

Latest posts