Best Guard Animal for Cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

Taurus":1ch1xj4r said:
I would say that you don't need some ear or horns in the cows to just protect their calves from the predators. All one thing you needs is a great momma cow, no matter what breed she is.

Agree! My Brangus will protect ALL the babies in the herd, not only their own. Some of them will even nurse each others calves also. :D

branguscowgirl":28vwuula said:
Taurus":28vwuula said:
I would say that you don't need some ear or horns in the cows to just protect their calves from the predators. All one thing you needs is a great momma cow, no matter what breed she is.

Agree! My Brangus will protect ALL the babies in the herd, not only their own. Some of them will even nurse each others calves also. :D

:nod: Funny you say that... I had the momma of a heifer I kept... nurse her calf and the heifer's calf this year. Talk about throwing you for a loop.

I worked for a guy who raised pure bred Angus cattle. Sold bulls and heifers. When I went to work for him he told me he averaged about 10% loss on his calf crop every year. It blew my mind. After working there a while I realized why. His momma had no protective blood in them. You could grab calves and they wouldn't even hardly look at you. If you worked cattle and separated the calves from the cows, you had to keep the mommas penned or they would leave. We turned them out one time and had to trailer their calves back to them in the pasture. Twice I found calves stuck in the mud and the mommas were no where to be found. :???:

Brimmer calf will survive. Loose the cow and the rest will let the calf steal a meal.
I can lead my girls anywhere, you had better leave that newborn calf alone.
You hear that low growl your fixin to have Brimmer all over your ass.

Brute, I had a calf fall in a bear hole under the blackberry bushes one time. Momma kept balling and going back to that spot. WE could see nothing! We thought she was crazy. Finally found the calf in a 4 foot deep hole! My cows will not leave them no matter what. If they hide them while they are off grazing, they sure as heck still know if someone or something is getting close to them and come running!

Sometimes they hide them to well and get to screwy, sold a good cow last year.
She have a calf wouldn't bring it up and would stay hid out for 4 to 6 weeks.

Latest posts