Best Grass Fed Beef Breeds

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch

Reaction score
Just thought this might be of interest to Grass Fed Beef Breeders.

Thousand Hills Cattle Company is a well respected producer of 100% Grass Fed Beef here in Minnesota.
They pay a nice premium for cattle that meet their criteria.
The following was taken from their website https://www.thousandhillscattleco.com/index.asp

Genetics:
No Brahman (eared) influenced cattle accepted.
100% British breed cattle Strongly PREFERRED [in alphabetical order] Angus black/red, British White, Devon, Galloway, Hereford, Murray Grey, Shorthorn.
Cattle crossbreds Typically Not Eligible are Continental French breeds, Charlois, Limousin, Simmental ect.

Not all British Cattle or crosses are automatically accepted, they must pass visual inspection for proper phenotype.
1 moderate frame, short, deep, thick, well muscled
2 small dense cannon bones, small refined knee and hock joints
3 broad flat back or top line
4 soft supple hide, healthy oily hair and skin
5 functional endocrine system (glandular functionality)
6 calm disposition - low head set

(As a footnote, last month I saw a beautiful group of grass fed red Salers sell at our local sales barn)
They must have been the exception to the rule of no French Continental cattle need apply.

There is all kinds of cattle with in the breeds. Mostly get what you select for as long as you know where to start. I have limousin that will fit there rules.

I believe that these Murray Greys would fit the requirements. The cattle shown below are extremely docile. They all enjoy a good scratch on their poll, even the bull. All they get is grass.
4 1/2 year old Murray Grey Cow
IMG_1860_zps7200ae69.jpg

6 year old Murray Grey cow
IMG_1951_zps40ba8d8c.jpg

Murray Grey first calf heifer
IMG_1118_zps8d60d09a.jpg

20 month old Murray Grey Bull (both photos are of the same bull)
IMG_3257_zpse61b3398.jpg

IMG_3193_zps983352b8.jpg

Backbone Ranch":72cgyeij said:
I believe that these Murray Greys would fit the requirements. The cattle shown below are extremely docile. They all enjoy a good scratch on their poll, even the bull. All they get is grass.
IMG_1860_zps7200ae69.jpg

IMG_1951_zps40ba8d8c.jpg

IMG_1118_zps8d60d09a.jpg

IMG_3257_zpse61b3398.jpg

IMG_3193_zps983352b8.jpg

I really, really like that bull.......and the cows too. Thanks for posting.

Polled Herefords! Not horned, there's too big of a difference between the two!!! :mrgreen:

Son of Butch":2kmikxuj said:
Just thought this might be of interest to Grass Fed Beef Breeders.

Thousand Hills Cattle Company is a well respected producer of 100% Grass Fed Beef here in Minnesota.
They pay a nice premium for cattle that meet their criteria.
The following was taken from their website https://www.thousandhillscattleco.com/index.asp

Genetics:
No Brahman (eared) influenced cattle accepted.
100% British breed cattle Strongly PREFERRED [in alphabetical order] Angus black/red, British White, Devon, Galloway, Hereford, Murray Grey, Shorthorn.
Cattle crossbreds Typically Not Eligible are Continental French breeds, Charlois, Limousin, Simmental ect.

Not all British Cattle or crosses are automatically accepted, they must pass visual inspection for proper phenotype.
1 moderate frame, short, deep, thick, well muscled
2 small dense cannon bones, small refined knee and hock joints
3 broad flat back or top line
4 soft supple hide, healthy oily hair and skin
5 functional endocrine system (glandular functionality)
6 calm disposition - low head set

(As a footnote, last month I saw a beautiful group of grass fed red Salers sell at our local sales barn)
They must have been the exception to the rule of no French Continental cattle need apply.

How much grass do they have right now on their ranch?

I am shocked, SHOCKED that they do not want Brahman for their operation in Minnesota. :lol2: The phenotypical description is fairly standard for what everyone is trying to produce outside of #2, not sure what a small refined knee has to do with anything. It would be nice to see a cost comparison of inputs for their operation vs someone who does the more traditional Minnesota area operation.

We are finished feeding hay, grass and clover are everywhere. Just for the record, my cattle are the only cattle for miles that get any feed. 99% of the photos I have posted on here are 100% grass fed. I feed mine less than a pound a day to keep them on a schedule.

As we say here, they may be putting a little too much spread on the bread with their breed list.

Backbone Ranch":2baxlvgh said:
IMG_1860_zps7200ae69.jpg

IMG_1951_zps40ba8d8c.jpg

IMG_1118_zps8d60d09a.jpg

IMG_3257_zpse61b3398.jpg

IMG_3193_zps983352b8.jpg

Backbone, do you know anyone who uses Murray Grey bulls on Tigerstripe cows?

JWBrahman, I do not know of anybody who uses Murray Grey bulls on Tigerstripe cows; I have not seen this particular cross either.

Backbone Ranch":zyckp887 said:
JWBrahman, I do not know of anybody who uses Murray Grey bulls on Tigerstripe cows; I have not seen this particular cross either.

Dang, I was hoping for some info or photos. The F1 Braford Tigerstripe has pretty much set the standard for grass fed in our part of the world. Common sense says the Murray Grey bulls would be a great option. Maybe CMF1 and I will have to set up an experiment somewhere...

The reddish colored calf sure is fancy, CMF1.

HD, hot dogs are way more tender than a good prime rib or skirt steak but I don't think anyone would argue that it tastes better. :lol2:

JWBrahman":176fe80q said:

HD, hot dogs are way more tender than a good prime rib or skirt steak but I don't think anyone would argue that it tastes better. :lol2:
Can't argue that..

JWBrahman":1qau39pp said:

But if you have the option between a tender prime rib and a tough prim rib which do you want?

ntd red":3m6a7vbo said:
JWBrahman":3m6a7vbo said:

But if you have the option between a tender prime rib and a tough prim rib which do you want?
But if you have the option between a medium cooked prime rib and an overcooked prime rib which do you want?

Latest posts