Best Gas or Battery Powered Fencing Tools/Making Life Easier

Help Support CattleToday:

NECowboy

Reaction score
Hey was wondering what everyone likes for gas or battery powered fencing tools.

Post driver - want to be able to drive in up to 4.5 inch diameter round wood posts

Staple gun - Do up to 2 inch staples including in everyone's least favorite hedge posts

Any other fencing tools I should be aware of that y'all enjoy or makes life easier?

callmefence":3liudnwz said:
To drive wood post your going to need a 3 point driver.

I build 50 to 100 miles of fence per year.
If I needed a staple right now I'd have to go to the hardware store.

That's kind of what was afraid of. Don't own a skid steer or anything and I saw up to 4 inch diameter petrol post driver on YouTube but nothing like that for sale in us. Little 2 inch diameter posts aren't going to cut it. Also number of places on ranch where not safe to drive skid steer.

So why no staples?

M-5":zpei4pl4 said:

this is what I USE

That's what I use too but am all for time saving and back saving devices. Hammered my thumbs way too many times and am way too slow especially on the hedge posts.

NECowboy":qxertqcr said:
callmefence":qxertqcr said:

That's kind of what was afraid of. Don't own a skid steer or anything and I saw up to 4 inch diameter petrol post driver on YouTube but nothing like that for sale in us. Little 2 inch diameter posts aren't going to cut it. Also number of places on ranch where not safe to drive skid steer.

So why no staples?

I can't for the life of me get one to drive into a pipe post.

My time is cheaper than fancy tools. Anyway you build fence is a lot of work, some ways are just more work than others.
Simple tools for simple minds.

callmefence":ugkd9od5 said:
NECowboy":ugkd9od5 said:
callmefence":ugkd9od5 said:

So why no staples?

I can't for the life of me get one to drive into a pipe post.

We use almost all wood posts up here.

Found something called earthquake e43 one man auger that had 8 inch diameter, since not going to be able to drive posts could make the digging easier?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tSIrseBaWH8

Yeah my time is not, got regular full time job, work a number of weekends, don't mind buying a few fancy tools to speed up the process. Limited time to check and work with cattle.

Compared to a 3 point driver, a three point auger is reasonable. You still got some tamping to do, but very little digging.

NECowboy":34qgf5o4 said:
[

Found something called earthquake e43 one man auger that had 8 inch diameter, since not going to be able to drive posts could make the digging easier?

I use the same earthquake auger more that id really like too for a few reasons I use it in my business to dig plant holes really quick. I also tend to use it quite a bit at home with fencing and lil lean too sheds. I can dig about 20 holes in my ground before even hooking up the 3pt auger of mine. They are fast and work well with my sandy loam soil. I will tell you this if you use one and hit a root rock or whatever it can break your wrist if you are not careful. I also like the portability and how cheap it is to run.

Unless your have to build a brand new fence around the whole place in a timely fashion I would not invest too much. a pto post hole digger is a good investment and I would say a staple gun would be also. all of the other tools would rarely get used. I do build several fences a yr. Not a lot but enough. I am doing HT on the one side on new property and seriously considering doing some around the other fields when it needs replacing. I put up 1000' ,5 strands , light pole end post (hand dug 5' deep) ,2 brace post , drove 20 fiberglass by hand , built all the connectors /bullnoses and tied every wire to the post in 10hrs last saturday and sunday right by myself , It was HOT and I was tired but Im itching to get started again tomorrow to finish 800 ft . I enjoy it

M-5":3he0gwrs said:
Unless your have to build a brand new fence around the whole place in a timely fashion I would not invest too much. a pto post hole digger is a good investment and I would say a staple gun would be also. all of the other tools would rarely get used. I do build several fences a yr. Not a lot but enough. I am doing HT on the one side on new property and seriously considering doing some around the other fields when it needs replacing. I put up 1000' ,5 strands , light pole end post (hand dug 5' deep) ,2 brace post , drove 20 fiberglass by hand , built all the connectors /bullnoses and tied every wire to the post in 10hrs last saturday and sunday right by myself , It was HOT and I was tired but Im itching to get started again tomorrow to finish 800 ft . I enjoy it

Into S&M huh... very sadistic

M-5":19h2pl58 said:

M5 what do you use for posts and how far space em apart?

NECowboy":g00a6fqp said:
M-5":g00a6fqp said:

On barb wire fence I use (store bought) PT wood and t post spaced 4 steps about 12' , on the HT im building the post are 50' apart. We are flat and have a sandy soil.

skyhightree1":2d9fdie8 said:
M-5":2d9fdie8 said:

NO, I enjoy working, I have to sit on my Azz more than I care too during the week at the office. I need something to keep me occupied at all times.

If the fiberglass are anything like t posts, t posts easy as heck to pound in. Need at least 6 inch diameter holes to put my big round wood posts in, have rocky root laden ground and lot of fence to replace so may look at something like a big one man auger (saw number of ones on Home Depot at 43cc for about 200 to 250 dollars but concerned would not hold up well to years of use, echo one for 700 dollars that looks more heavy duty but 700 is too much coin.).

M-5":3uaeegi4 said:
NECowboy":3uaeegi4 said:
M-5":3uaeegi4 said:

What you use for post diameter? You must alternate with the wood and t posts?

On barb wire fence I use (store bought) PT wood and t post spaced 4 steps about 12' , on the HT im building the post are 50' apart. We are flat and have a sandy soil.

M-5":2akv3z60 said:
skyhightree1":2akv3z60 said:
M-5":2akv3z60 said:

NO, I enjoy working, I have to sit on my Azz more than I care too during the week at the office. I need something to keep me occupied at all times.

Agreed, have an office job too nice to get blood pumping and flowing with the cattle and some manual labor, but my time is valuable and if I can work smart and enjoy my limited amount of free time riding horses, actually working with the cattle vs maintenance stuff, or rather than spend it doing things the slow way go in the office and do much better paying work, so much the better then.

Latest posts