best crossbreed??

Help Support CattleToday:

Hereford x Angus is the best cross overall (maternally and market). IF you are selling by the pound, that baldie cow crossed to a Charolais bull would be the best terminal cross.

Angus X Aubrac ;-)

you will have to specify what the crossbred is used for.

Brandonm2":3emwg6xd said:
Hereford x Angus is the best cross overall (maternally and market). IF you are selling by the pound, that baldie cow crossed to a Charolais bull would be the best terminal cross.

Right on the money, even better when its a super baldie. Tigerstripe F1's are right up there too. As far as calves go, a black whiteface or mottley will always bring the best money at the salebarn followed by yellow calves out of Charolais bulls and then straight black calves.

Cow_Town":1saw7ezx said:
will always bring the best money

locality will probably influence this most.

using "always" is almost always wrong... :)

Cow_Town":2ovyy9u6 said:
Brandonm2":2ovyy9u6 said:

Right on the money, even better when its a super baldie. Tigerstripe F1's are right up there too. As far as calves go, a black whiteface or mottley will always bring the best money at the salebarn followed by yellow calves out of Charolais bulls and then straight black calves.

You're attending different sales than me. Often black baldies are discounted. Even on Superior Auctions, you'll see the auctioneer offering to seperate out the black baldies to get the price up on straight black calves. I've seen it time and again at replacement heifer sales here in OK, too.

Locality is important. Consistency is as well, and in my area your looking at 20+ years for black white face and the recent straight black craze of what, the last 5 ? Performance over years over a fad any day for me.

Frankie":2s9v5jw5 said:
Cow_Town":2s9v5jw5 said:
Brandonm2":2s9v5jw5 said:

You're attending different sales than me. Often black baldies are discounted. Even on Superior Auctions, you'll see the auctioneer offering to seperate out the black baldies to get the price up on straight black calves. I've seen it time and again at replacement heifer sales here in OK, too.

And I cant ever recall seeing black baldies discounted. Thats a new one on me. I would be willing to bet that baldies may be sorted out for the sake of group uniformity and not because anyone feels they are inferior cattle. :roll:

Frankie":24u5tsea said:
Often black baldies are discounted.

I find this hard to believe. Why would they discount animals that qualify for both CAB and CHB? Define often.

Frankie":24u5tsea said:
Even on Superior Auctions, you'll see the auctioneer offering to seperate out the black baldies to get the price up on straight black calves.

Or maybe to get the price up on the baldies. From what I've seen, black baldies usually outsell straight black of equal quality.

The best crossbred is the one tha will get the job done the best with the least effort and inputs on your part.

dun

VanC":16c2npxc said:
Frankie":16c2npxc said:

I find this hard to believe. Why would they discount animals that qualify for both CAB and CHB? Define often.

When I say "often" I'm speaking of replacement females, not feeders. The OK Cattlemens Assn started a replacement female sae several years ago. At first they ran the baldies in with the straight black. Then they started offering to separate them. I haven't been to the sale in several years now, but the last couple of times we went, there just weren't many white faced cattle for sale. At several registered sales I've been to, they sell bred heifers, too. Solid black ones generally outsell the white faced ones.

Frankie":16c2npxc said:
Even on Superior Auctions, you'll see the auctioneer offering to seperate out the black baldies to get the price up on straight black calves.

Or maybe to get the price up on the baldies. From what I've seen, black baldies usually outsell straight black of equal quality.

Maybe in your area. That's why I suggested Cow_Town and I were attending different sales. Unlike him, I can't say what sells best everywhere, but I've seen the Superior folks offer to separate out the baldies from a group in the video, same ranch, same management, maybe same sire. And I've seen it here in OK. Buyers don't always take that option, but it is made available when prices aren't where they want them to be.

Frankie":2goehofp said:
VanC":2goehofp said:

When I say "often" I'm speaking of replacement females, not feeders. The OK Cattlemens Assn started a replacement female sae several years ago. At first they ran the baldies in with the straight black. Then they started offering to separate them. I haven't been to the sale in several years now, but the last couple of times we went, there just weren't many white faced cattle for sale. At several registered sales I've been to, they sell bred heifers, too. Solid black ones generally outsell the white faced ones.

Maybe in your area. That's why I suggested Cow_Town and I were attending different sales. Unlike him, I can't say what sells best everywhere, but I've seen the Superior folks offer to separate out the baldies from a group in the video, same ranch, same management, maybe same sire. And I've seen it here in OK. Buyers don't always take that option, but it is made available when prices aren't where they want them to be.

Well by, golly, I'm just gonna chalk this one up as a simple misunderstanding then. You were talking replacements and I was talking feeders. Guess I'll have to find something else to argue about. Any takers out there? ;-)

Frankie":18e1fe2z said:
At several registered sales I've been to, they sell bred heifers, too. Solid black ones generally outsell the white faced ones.

How did it come to be that some black white face sold at the registered sale?

Wewild":3kp57nt6 said:
Frankie":3kp57nt6 said:
At several registered sales I've been to, they sell bred heifers, too. Solid black ones generally outsell the white faced ones.

How did it come to be that some black white face sold at the registered sale?

They offer an opportunity for registered bull buyers to buy commercial replacement bred heifers with a history. And it's an outlet for past bull buyers to bring some of their higher quality heifers and sell them.

It's a pretty widespread deal here in OK; I just assumed it was being done in other states, too.

Latest posts