Best angus sire on Herefords. ??

Help Support CattleToday:

Josher

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions for the best black angus bull for Herefords. My goal is to keep baldy replacements. On another thread Charlo was mentioned. Any thoughts or experiences are welcome.

What do the Herefords need to sustain or improve? Learn to use the AAA Sire Search and find a group of potentials.

Lots of choices, just depends on what your individual goals are. Both breeds have quite a range from toads to behemoths. We run predominantly Hereford cows, and black bulls with some of them. I've sold a lot of BWF heifers for replacements. as well as keep some too. BWF can make some real good cows, but over all, I prefer straight bred Hereford or Angus cows and cross them to get a BWF as more of a terminal cross. Reason being they tend to be bigger at maturity than the parent breeds and usually heavier milking and require a bit more nutrition to keep them breeding back on time. Our markets don't react well to toady type cattle so the calves have to have some me frame. The flip side is behemoth type cows aren't very practical to maintain so a balance has to be struck. I try to have towards the upper end of moderate cows and breed them to a bull that is similar to a littler larger framed when selling market calves.

These Herefords are nice size and shape. There as calm as any I've been around. Nice uddered. One down side to them is think they could use some help with fertility and I always like a good fleshy animal so I might look to add a bit more flesh too. I want to maintain there size around 1400 lbs. 1500 max

It is hard to get advice on mature size on the same cattle in the SE USA versus your area. They will be bigger there every time. Whatever you have will be smaller here every time. Plenty of research on that.

Latest posts