best crossbreed??

Help Support CattleToday:

Brandonm2":3oyf70bt said:
Wouldn't you expect the Angus to do better at an Angus sale???

Yes, but Superior Livestock isn't an Angus sale. I've also seen it at an all breed bull sale and the state cattlemen's replacement female sale.

First off, what are your marketing plans? Salebarn, replacement heifers, grass fed beef, etc....

Secondly, you need to like what you've got in your pasture because you're gonna be taking care of them cows all year.

English x continental or vice versa is hard to beat. Now if I was gonna have grassfed beef I'd go with Red Poll x Galloway.

I'm waiting for the first calves to drop within the next 3-4 weeks out of charolais x red poll. But we have a rainbow herd as I've got char x and red polls and the hubby has angus/holstein x angus or holstein x angus and the majority of the cows we bought last fall were char x simmental.

Most pastures around here have black cows (angus, brangus and bwf) or char x and a few red cows. Most pastures have black bulls (angus or brangus), charolais and then limo.

What sells the highest at salebarn is black, bwf and gold colored calves. However if its good quality even reds do well.

I've not seen any tiger stripes in anybodys pasture and only a few at the salebarn. But around here most places only need 2 or 3 acres per cow so its not like they have to scrounge around like goats to get forage.

market what sells in your environment.

We sell grass-fed beef & I must say that we've had
outstanding beef and more than adequate performance
out of purebred murray greys. We have also had good
luck with cross calves out of murray bulls and angus
cows, as well as black baldie cows. Like the posts above
said, it's all about your market and your over-all plan.

MikeC":1en0vo9y said:
Angus registrations were over 324,000 in 2005. Your link HAS to be outdated.

It could be... I got it off the Western Illinois website. I would be intrested in a more current version.

cemf123":6torlpdr said:
I have no experience in your environment, therefore I have no opinion other that I don't think you need long ears up there like you would down this way.

If you would put your state up on the left in the avatar space it would help. At least it helps me to know what general area a person is in.

Latest posts