Best cross breed with an angus

Help Support CattleToday:

I have an Angus cow that was bred to a Beefmaster. I don't know what the calf will look like, but the little guy/gal is due any time now according to the vet. I'll post some pics as soon as it arrives.

I own and like herefords and have a few red angus.
but for what you're looking for - I would say a cross with char or murray grey should give you a well rounded quality animal.

Daisy452":2yecoh7u said:
Nowland Farms":2yecoh7u said:
What if the Angus cross "Steer" turns out to be an Angus Cross Hefier?

I think you are the only one who can answer your question. What do you want in the cross? What are you looking for? Pick the breed that has the traits you are looking for, breed it to the Angus and hope you get a bull calf that you can make into a steer.

If I were you and I knew what I was looking for, I'd go buy it. You might not ever breed and get a steer with the exact look you are wanting. Too many ifs......

No, im not breeding my own. Im going to order an angus steer and not sure what to cross it with. I like the maine anjou or shorthorn.

If you order an Angus steer how are you going to cross it with anything? I am not following exactly what you are talking about here? :? Are you planning on breeding this steer once you get it?

chiangus cross with your angus would make a nice steer
but a bit of a waste of decent genes just for the freezer.

Bullbuyer":8voo2wkf said:
cfpinz":8voo2wkf said:

I thought that was a dance.

Herf or Char

No its a japanese steer, said to have the most tenderous beef ever. you can cut it with a fork. The japanese raise them on beer and some secret feeds no one knows what.

aplusmnt":2ly030a7 said:
Daisy452":2ly030a7 said:
Nowland Farms":2ly030a7 said:

I think you are the only one who can answer your question. What do you want in the cross? What are you looking for? Pick the breed that has the traits you are looking for, breed it to the Angus and hope you get a bull calf that you can make into a steer.

If I were you and I knew what I was looking for, I'd go buy it. You might not ever breed and get a steer with the exact look you are wanting. Too many ifs......

No, im not breeding my own. Im going to order an angus steer and not sure what to cross it with. I like the maine anjou or shorthorn.

If you order an Angus steer how are you going to cross it with anything? I am not following exactly what you are talking about here? :? Are you planning on breeding this steer once you get it?

OK, i give my friend a call who lives in Kansas and i tell her what type of steer i want. I want an Angus/Murray Grey. Shes says ok i'll find it. she searches all the ranches she knows and then calls me with a price. i say ok, she ships it out to me and i pay her. No i cant breed a steer(he is castrated) i will be showing him at the San Bernardino County Fair in May of 2008. Then he will come home, the butcher will do his job and in 2-3 weeks he'll be in my freezer.

JbarL":25htmeq7 said:

He will be showed but i still se what you mean. But thats the way the world turns. With that tye of steer he may win the whole fair but it all depends on the judge.

Daisy452":ocv75p17 said:
aplusmnt":ocv75p17 said:
Daisy452":ocv75p17 said:
Nowland Farms":ocv75p17 said:

OK, i give my friend a call who lives in Kansas and i tell her what type of steer i want. I want an Angus/Murray Grey. Shes says ok i'll find it. she searches all the ranches she knows and then calls me with a price. i say ok, she ships it out to me and i pay her. No i cant breed a steer(he is castrated) i will be showing him at the San Bernardino County Fair in May of 2008. Then he will come home, the butcher will do his job and in 2-3 weeks he'll be in my freezer.

Ok I see! When we go looking for a steer we just look for a good one. Why not tell your friend to just find you a good one and not worry about what it is crossed with. There are good steers crossed lots of different ways.

But if you must pick a breed various combinations of Simmental, Maine, Chi, Angus, Shorthorn and Charolais when all over the country. My favorite being Angus x Maine x Simmental lots of nice steers with these three breeds in their blood.

Daisy - is that a Normande dairy cow in the photo
beside your name? I sure would like to have one of
those for a family milk cow.

Daisy452":9ydrw37y said:
Bullbuyer":9ydrw37y said:
cfpinz":9ydrw37y said:

I thought that was a dance.

Herf or Char

No its a japanese steer, said to have the most tenderous beef ever. you can cut it with a fork. The japanese raise them on beer and some secret feeds no one knows what.

Watusi is a Japanese steer ? Well I learn something new every day. :D

Where does Wagyu cattle come from ??

OK Jeanne":1ubivvxj said:
Daisy - is that a Normande dairy cow in the photo
beside your name? I sure would like to have one of
those for a family milk cow.

Im not sure what type of cow it is. I just took the pic, from this website(the one provided) i liked the look of her.

Latest posts