Best cross breed with an angus

Help Support CattleToday:

Daisy452

Reaction score
I want a angus cross, but not sure what to cross the angus with. The angus will be a show steer, and then butchered for my freezer. Any opinions?

What if the Angus cross "Steer" turns out to be an Angus Cross Hefier?

I think you are the only one who can answer your question. What do you want in the cross? What are you looking for? Pick the breed that has the traits you are looking for, breed it to the Angus and hope you get a bull calf that you can make into a steer.

If I were you and I knew what I was looking for, I'd go buy it. You might not ever breed and get a steer with the exact look you are wanting. Too many ifs......

For a nice brood cow, I like SimAngus crosses. Of course, you need the right kind of Angus cow to get a 'show steer' calf.
If you want show, then breed club, since it's just gonna be freezer beef in the end.
If the "steer" turnes out to be a heifer, show her, and then butcher her. I dont think that there is anything wrong with a Market Heifer.
What are you really looking for? A show steer? Or Highquality beef?
I'm more show-influenced, than meat, so if your looking for meat, I'm sure someone else will have an excelent cross for a better carcass.

murray grey:

bonita.jpg

But then, the above is a heifer & you wanted a steer.
Here's a murray grey/angus steer:

steersoct2.jpg

Incase you haven't got the picture yet... I'll point it out.

You could use any breed and get a quality calf. The trick is to use a good sire. Wether its a BWF, a smokie or anything else- the judge will still judge the calf, not the color. Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

oh yeah i forgot about watusi. you can expect a lot of unicorned angtusis though, being half polled and half horned like that. just something to keep in mind..

Nowland Farms":cr77iod7 said:
What if the Angus cross "Steer" turns out to be an Angus Cross Hefier?

I think you are the only one who can answer your question. What do you want in the cross? What are you looking for? Pick the breed that has the traits you are looking for, breed it to the Angus and hope you get a bull calf that you can make into a steer.

If I were you and I knew what I was looking for, I'd go buy it. You might not ever breed and get a steer with the exact look you are wanting. Too many ifs......

No, im not breeding my own. Im going to order an angus steer and not sure what to cross it with. I like the maine anjou or shorthorn.

OK Jeanne":3j8bd2vy said:
murray grey:

bonita.jpg

But then, the above is a heifer & you wanted a steer.
Here's a murray grey/angus steer:

steersoct2.jpg

Wow, thats a nice lookin heifer and steer i think i just found what i want to show next. thanks!

Latest posts