best creep feed mix for my situation

Help Support CattleToday:

redangus

Reaction score
I started last year placing 8-9 month old heifers in a registered sale. I didn't creep my calves at all but others did starting at 2 months of age. I've decided to do the same since I'm selling these girls at weaning.

What's the best creep feed mix for red angus calves? What would you change with the mix after weaning?

Dun...pm

None!!

And stay the hell away from folks that do use creep at that age.

mtnman

mtnman":11vw8tpq said:
None!!

And stay the be nice away from folks that do use creep at that age.

mtnman
Now THAT is an educational and informative bit of rhetoric!

Paragraph 1 - Why?

Paragraph 2 - Why?

What DIRE consequences will befall one who does not follow your parameters?

Will the "Creeps" de-materialize in front of our very eyes?

Will their progeny in future generations suffer untold Genetic malfunctions which will persist - thereby influencing future procreative anomalies?

mtnman - please elaborate on your working hypothesis.

DOC HARRIS

mtnman":3rfzgm79 said:
DOC,

You've been around long enough to know.

mtnman

Sir, with all due respect, it's the rest of us, well a lot of us, anyway, that haven't been around long enough to know. And, we'd like to know and get suggestions from those that have been around long enough to know. This is a rather convoluted statement, isn't it... :p Hopefully, you can make some kind of sense of it. :)

Alice

If tehy are registered stock, supposedly bred to make money for commercial folks, they how are we testing their ability to gain weight on grass and milk if we are creep feeding them?

It might be a great managment tool for commercial folks, but there ought to be a law against registered folks using creep feed.

mtnman

mtnman":3ltd85t9 said:
If tehy are registered stock, supposedly bred to make money for commercial folks, they how are we testing their ability to gain weight on grass and milk if we are creep feeding them?

It might be a great managment tool for commercial folks, but there ought to be a law against registered folks using creep feed.

mtnman
mtnman- If you had responded to the original question in this manner, it might have precluded misunderstandings at the outset.

Creep feeding calves is almost as controversial a practice and subject as "What Beef Breed is - - Best?" The subject is similar as the time-worn question - "Have you stopped beating your wife?" Those subjects cannot be answered briefly in a few words, or with - "yes" or "no". Creep feeding comes under the same purview.

Let's review this subject of "Creep Feeding" quickly and succinctly, and attempt to decide if it is a 'procedure' for which YOU, as a Beef Producer, should consider utilizing. The practice of beginning a feeding program for calves in addition to and concurrent with their nursing their dams early on in their lives depends on many variables - such as the availability of natural forage, the price of seed stuffs, natural forage, time of the year, the percent of protein their available forage contains - -and on and on - - the PRICE of feed being a commanding factor once the decision is made to put the practice in operation.

The reasons for making the decision to creep feed or not to creep feed are numereous - some of which have been specified above. It would seem simple enough on the face of it to prepare an area for feeding whereby the calves could have access to feed and the dams could NOT. The mechanism for initiating this practice of supplementing grass and nutritional intake for the calves in addition to the Dam's milk is reasonably easy. The decisions to do so are a little more complicated.

The technical justifications and formulae for creep feeding can be found in many publications and on the internet, and are too extensive to be listed in this post. However, the price of feed and the market calf prices are two very important factors to consider in either a cow-calf or terminal operation. The individual producer would be in a decisive position to make the final judgement.

As mntman mentioned, a purebred (Registered) operation would have a different and compelling set of reasons for creep feeding or for NOT creep feeding, and I don't have a dog in THAT fight. But I do understand the reasons put forth on BOTH sides of the argument. Whether it be a Registered operation or a Terminal or cow-calf program, the justification is to provide the least expensive and most profitable production system for the beef producer, wherever his ranch is located and in whatever geographical area he is operating.

The Canadian Gelbvieh Association has published a list of pros and cons of creep feeding which I think are apropos for this discussion. Options vary on the merits of creep feeding.

ADVANTAGES ARE:
1- When pastures dry up in Sept. and Oct., not even the best milking cow will give enough milk for an early March calf. Calves will often lose weight for the last two months before weaning if they are on poor pasture.
2- Creep feeding makes the weaning changeover easier because calves are already started on feed.
3- Gains are put on very efficiently, without danger of overfeeding at an early age.
4- Creep feeding may reduce "stealing" which many calves of the larger breeds seem to do.
5- Pasture management can be improved since a calf receiving grain will consume less grass.

DISADVANTAGES ARE:
1- Creep feeding can distort the production record of the cow and the performance information on the calf. The weaning weight no longer reflects the cow's milking ability, but also the amount of grain the calf consumed. (As per mntman's comments)
2- Feedlot operators may discriminate against calves that appear to have some degree of finish, as often is the case with creep fed calves.
3- Some calves eat a fair amount of creep feed while some will not eat any.
4- The added cost of creep feeders, grain and labor may not be justified if feed prices are high or pasture conditions are good.
5- Heifer calves that are over-fed in the creep feeder may fatten excessively. Some of this fat will be deposited in the udder resulting in reduced milk production when they start to produce calves themselves, leading to reduced weaning weights.

If creep fed calves have access to feed starting at six weeks to two months of age, they will consume up to 500 lbs of grain mix, and may weigh up to 60 lbs more at weaning time than non-creep fed calves. The cost of the feed, equipment and labor, compared with the increased value of the heavier calf will determine whether or not creep feeding will be a profitable option for the producer.

It is not as simple as it may sound at first blush!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":2yszr31y said:
mtnman":2yszr31y said:

mtnman
mtnman- If you had responded to the original question in this manner, it might have precluded misunderstandings at the outset.

Creep feeding calves is almost as controversial a practice and subject as "What Beef Breed is - - Best?" The subject is similar as the time-worn question - "Have you stopped beating your wife?" Those subjects cannot be answered briefly in a few words, or with - "yes" or "no". Creep feeding comes under the same purview.

Let's review this subject of "Creep Feeding" quickly and succinctly, and attempt to decide if it is a 'procedure' for which YOU, as a Beef Producer, should consider utilizing. The practice of beginning a feeding program for calves in addition to and concurrent with their nursing their dams early on in their lives depends on many variables - such as the availability of natural forage, the price of seed stuffs, natural forage, time of the year, the percent of protein their available forage contains - -and on and on - - the PRICE of feed being a commanding factor once the decision is made to put the practice in operation.

The reasons for making the decision to creep feed or not to creep feed are numereous - some of which have been specified above. It would seem simple enough on the face of it to prepare an area for feeding whereby the calves could have access to feed and the dams could NOT. The mechanism for initiating this practice of supplementing grass and nutritional intake for the calves in addition to the Dam's milk is reasonably easy. The decisions to do so are a little more complicated.

The technical justifications and formulae for creep feeding can be found in many publications and on the internet, and are too extensive to be listed in this post. However, the price of feed and the market calf prices are two very important factors to consider in either a cow-calf or terminal operation. The individual producer would be in a decisive position to make the final judgement.

As mntman mentioned, a purebred (Registered) operation would have a different and compelling set of reasons for creep feeding or for NOT creep feeding, and I don't have a dog in THAT fight. But I do understand the reasons put forth on BOTH sides of the argument. Whether it be a Registered operation or a Terminal or cow-calf program, the justification is to provide the least expensive and most profitable production system for the beef producer, wherever his ranch is located and in whatever geographical area he is operating.

The Canadian Gelbvieh Association has published a list of pros and cons of creep feeding which I think are apropos for this discussion. Options vary on the merits of creep feeding.

ADVANTAGES ARE:
1- When pastures dry up in Sept. and Oct., not even the best milking cow will give enough milk for an early March calf. Calves will often lose weight for the last two months before weaning if they are on poor pasture.
2- Creep feeding makes the weaning changeover easier because calves are already started on feed.
3- Gains are put on very efficiently, without danger of overfeeding at an early age.
4- Creep feeding may reduce "stealing" which many calves of the larger breeds seem to do.
5- Pasture management can be improved since a calf receiving grain will consume less grass.

DISADVANTAGES ARE:
1- Creep feeding can distort the production record of the cow and the performance information on the calf. The weaning weight no longer reflects the cow's milking ability, but also the amount of grain the calf consumed. (As per mntman's comments)
2- Feedlot operators may discriminate against calves that appear to have some degree of finish, as often is the case with creep fed calves.
3- Some calves eat a fair amount of creep feed while some will not eat any.
4- The added cost of creep feeders, grain and labor may not be justified if feed prices are high or pasture conditions are good.
5- Heifer calves that are over-fed in the creep feeder may fatten excessively. Some of this fat will be deposited in the udder resulting in reduced milk production when they start to produce calves themselves, leading to reduced weaning weights.

If creep fed calves have access to feed starting at six weeks to two months of age, they will consume up to 500 lbs of grain mix, and may weigh up to 60 lbs more at weaning time than non-creep fed calves. The cost of the feed, equipment and labor, compared with the increased value of the heavier calf will determine whether or not creep feeding will be a profitable option for the producer.

It is not as simple as it may sound at first blush!

DOC HARRIS

:D, Alice

I agree with mtnman on the seedstock supplier side. Every situation is different of course, but in my experience. If you are trying to sell bulls, it needs to be done with grass and mommas milk alone until they are weaned. You will never know what your cows can do or which one is the best if you creep. Your customers don't want pampered genetics so why should we have them ourselves. Now, like I said, every situation is different, it may be a drought and you would like to make the grass last a little longer, or maybe your grass is extremely washy and they just don't get enough nutrients from it, or maybe you are using a bunch of average to below average recip cows for an embryo program and you don't want a bunch of 400 lbs calves. These are all example of why you should maybe creep feed your seedstock supplying cows. But in my situation, on my ranch, nothing gets creep fed. I like to know what I am working for and what to cull.

redangus said "registered sale".

I answered it that way.

I reaffirm:

NONE!!!!!

And stay the hell away from those that do use it.

It is pretty simple.

mtnman

so mtnman,

in your vast wisdom, would you say a registered breeder should not creep even if he knows his customers want to see a well fed bull and will pay much more than the creep costs?

Aero":9dxryynu said:
so mtnman,

in your vast wisdom, would you say a registered breeder should not creep even if he knows his customers want to see a well fed bull and will pay much more than the creep costs?

We got caught in one of those "Catch 22" type deals this year. We sold a yearling heifer at the MO Sho-ME Red sale. No grain since the weaning period and she didn;t sell as high as some of the fatter heifers but equal and in some cases lesser quality.
Butwhen the folks that bought her talk, and they will, and tell people how well she performs on grass alone, I think there will be more demand for these types of heifers. Least I hope so, cause we aren;t about to hide a heifers true abilitys with a feed sack.

dun

We are in the registered business and we also don't creep the purebreds but we creep our commercial steers. When we wean our steer calves they go to the bunks better, stay healthier and take off and gain. This is the reason why we creep our commercial calves.

Breed associations adjust for creep feeding calves so if you creep everything equally all your genetic performance should be on a level playing field. Current research shows that creep fed calves have increased carcass quality.

In another thread everyone was talking about the 1001 pound weaning weight Mojito. Was that mamma's milk and grass?

Have a good one

lazy ace

I don't have a lot of use for creep feeding cattle. It doesn't me that there isn't a place for it, we have steered clear. If we were to creep the generalization comes that "he creeps his calves".
Secondly we wouldn't benefit from creep feeding as our calf crops are getting better and creep feeding would only break up their contemporary groups.

Last year we showed a couple heifers, they were fed with the rest of the heifers up until we left for the show. Sale heifers were also included in the same group. It was excellent, no splitting calves up just feeding them like they were ours. Last fall/winter that would have meant Hay bale with 4-5lbs of pellets and they did awesome.
Our heifer calves had an average of 686lbs for a 205 wt and they gained 1.5-1.8 lbs a day all winter long. But they weighed up good last fall and had a good cover of baby fat on them.

We find that feeding cattle is quite easy, just don't let them go backwards on you.

im not sure if he was Creeped or not but iven So thats a heck of a weight Creep or no creep. BRG do you know if Coley Creeps his Cattle? they all have High Weaning weights.

RedAngus121":3ihle9mt said:
im not sure if he was Creeped or not but iven So thats a heck of a weight Creep or no creep. BRG do you know if Coley Creeps his Cattle? they all have High Weaning weights.

and this impressive because...?

RedAngus121":32fiiu0m said:
I havent been in the breed long but find me 5 more bulls that weaned that on a First Calve Heifer.

many bulls can sire calves that wean 1000 lb calves. the real flaw in your statement is that the bull has the least to do with it. the bull contributes half of the growth genetics. the cow on the other hand, contributes half of the growth genetics, all milk, protection, encouragement and temperament. give the cow the credit she is due.

this weaning weight is simple: feed.

there are other places that have this kind of weaning weights and there is no secret; they feed so much hot ration that most of them have a significant percentage of calves that bloat. there is no way i would buy anything from them. there is no more artificial environment. there is no less realistic environment or results than these.

as a friend of mine (Mark Day) pointed out, if you look at the EPDs for the parents, there is only a 30 - 80 lb max difference on average from what most people have on their farms. meaning, if you took your cows and bulls there, you would see the same type weights but maybe just a little less if they have high growth cattle.

this is complete waste and if they make many bulls with weaning weights like that, the bulls will melt 200+ pounds off in their first breeding season. losing weight is not what you want a yrlg bull to do in his first breeding season.

the real tragedy is that people like this broadcast how little planning they have done. when you push for extreme growth, you almost always get longer growth to go with it. this type of strategy produces huge females that weigh 1600 - 2000 lbs and wean less than 40% of their body weight in average feed conditions.

the reason i really get bothered by this is because of the direction vs destination concept as i learned from Kit Pharo. http://www.pharocattle.com/philosophies.htm

when you see people that have 1000+ lb weaning weights, these people have not optimized anything. they simply got started on the "Extreme Growth and Weaning Weights" direction and didnt realize they drove by their destination years ago.

as far as Kit's writings: some of the principles of his program are out in left field, but in this particular article he is dead on.

We bought a Bull off them that weaned in the High 800s and he hasnt lost much weight at all. of Corse a yearling bull will lose some. these Advance cattle are very thick and wide.

I guess you would just have to see them for your self.