Best Cattle Crosses For Unassisted Calving

Help Support CattleToday:

I had the same situation, was away from my cattle . I had good luck with Murray Greys.

@rocfarm I would not nuy Angus cxows and use a Corriente bull on them. Just use an Angus bull. Now the other way around, you can make more money than you can any other way. Use Corriente cows and an Angus bull. Or where you are, a Brangus bull. Get one that is homozygous black and polled...which means you probably need to get a registered bull. You can buy 3-4 Corriente cows for what a good Angus will cost you. They will have ZERO calving problems. We have been keeping around 120 of them on 200 acres that you can only get around horse back on, it is so rough a pasture. We use enough bulls to have a 4-5 week calving period, round them up one time once they all calve, to tag the calves and cut the bull calves, then round them up again at weaning and take the calves to the sale. So we actually laid hands on them twice a year. And every year they all wean off 500 lb, 6 mos old black polled calves . Longhorns would work.. and we will have some from time to time... but you have to make sure you have the facilities to handle them with. Pure, 100% Longhorns are gonna have as much as an 8' horn spread, and will cost more than Corriente.

There is no need to be that concerned with calving to start breeding corriente and LH cattle. A good composite with ear like Brangus and a moderate framed Angus bull is VERY safe and will not cost you at the sale barn.
Get you horned Hereford over Brimmer cross cows they will get here the size of a house cat.
On the back side they will mash the scales and ring the bell in six months.

Probably for texas you've had the suggestions that are going to be best for you, but Salers are known for easy births with long, slender calves (wet noodles) and you'd still have a meatier animal than a longhorn/corriente
Salers won't sell well where I'm at. The best selling cattle are Hereford/Angus with touch of Brahman. 1/4 corriente with 3/4 angus calves tend to not get discounted too bad, either, and the Brahman and the corrientes don't mind the heat. So I'm leaning at getting some older cows here in August that will have some Angus and Brahman or corriente in them. If I buy some new cattle, I'll post some pics of. What I get.

I had the same situation, was away from my cattle . I had good luck with Murray Greys.
Never even seen a Murray Grey around the farm. They look like they milk too much for the Texas range situation, anyway. Need to get some moderate milkers. The nutrition where I'm at doesn't justify having a heavy milking cow. She'll likely loose so much BCS that she won't breed back consistently. But, just like with beefmasters, I wouldn't avoid bidding on one in the ring if she looked like she would do well.

I'm still leaning towards getting some cattle with corriente and maybe angus or Hereford blood, though and breeding them back to a black angus bull. Seems to be the best all around move.

The Cotts probably averaged 700 lbs. Some may be 650, and others closer to 800. Had a few part Corr/ part LH that might go over 800. Had about a dozen Fla Cracker, Fla Scrub, and Piney Woods that would go 800 tp maybe 900.
At what age?
CE & MCE EPD's are different for each breed.

No - age of calves. 6 months, 8 months 11 months? Obviously, you can say any age, but was wondering. Makes a big difference how impressed we are.
I have 5 month olds over 500# - that wouldn't be impressive if they were 7 months old.

No - age of calves. 6 months, 8 months 11 months? Obviously, you can say any age, but was wondering. Makes a big difference how impressed we are.
I have 5 month olds over 500# - that wouldn't be impressive if they were 7 months old.
Well, dunno why I would say "any age" when I know in general how old they were. About 6 months usually. They would calve last week in January to mid- February, and we'd cut them out and sell them mid-to late August. I'd go down about two weeks before opening day to get the dove fields ready, and we'd do it then. Last year we did 2nd weekend in August. The heaviest steer went 540lbs...LH cow that calved Jan 30th, so he was close to 7 mos old..., and the lightest heifer was 490 or so...not quite 500 ...1st calf of a Corr heifer. Last year's calves were by Ultrablack bulls. But, one of your cows would probably bring more than what we had in 10 or 12 of these cows. And no inputs other than some salt and minerals, and bands for the bull calves. We started this in the late 90s when team roping slowed down around here, and teampenning really took off, to get uniformed color, polled calves that we'd contract for pennings, or sell to people who teampenned. Last 10 years or so, we just sold them at weaning and didn't fool with being a stock contractor. We sold the herd this spring after they all calved, though. Just kept 4 Corr heifers from last year that was bred to the Corr bull last month,.. and 4 Plummer cows I bought with the money we got paid for our cow that poachers shot. And a Chinina x Brahma heifer and a Chianina x Brangus heifer I traded for in May right before I went in the hospital. I am having 6 by-passes next week, and my cowboying and horse trading days are over now. I think Scott is going to put some Boer(sp?) goats...whatever they use for meat goats... on the place.

Neighbor breeds a bunch of heifers to Wagyu. That eliminates calving issues according to him. The problem is after the calf is born. Some of those calves really lack in ability or desire to thrive. To me that is a bigger issue than birthing.
Is it a lack of selenium? We had one this year that was super weak and numb, hit her with selenium and I can't think about catching her.

I am having 6 by-passes next week, and my cowboying and horse trading days are over now.
I'm glad to hear it's being done after tomorrow's Super Full Moon passes.
DUN had his heart surgery done smack dab on a Super Full Moon and we know how that turned out.

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear it's being done after tomorrow's Super Full Moon passes.
Dun had his heart surgery done smack dab on a Super Full Moon and we know how that turned out.
I've heard the emergency room is chaotic during a full moon..

I need to tell my wife she better have anyone needing a surgery to just divert them to somewhere else until the full moon passes. :LOL:

Is she in charge of scheduling surgeries?
Does she do what you tell her?
:) lol

When she is on call she dictates whether they need to be shipped somewhere else or stay. The office staff schedules the elective cases and whatnot.

I was just going to suggest that maybe she should divert them for one night because the guys on the cattle forum said the moon was wrong. :ROFLMAO: