Best bulls for marbling

Help Support CattleToday:

Air gator

Reaction score
I was reading about beef prices and I saw that the price gap is widening between the quality beef...the choice/select spread.

There are a lot of bulls with high marbling epds but their conformation/eye appeal is lacking.
What's the best bull for marbling? In other words, a bull that you would use whether or not you cared about marbling.

Does anyone know anything about Woodside Rito 4P26 of 0242?
I tried to find a video and didn't have any luck.
I saw him on the Origen beef website.

Genetics has some to do with marbling but Feed ration has a lot to do with it.

Used PA Power Tool 9108, a while back. Had some calves from a couple registered Angus cows and some from Hereford cows. I liked the look of the calves, and have kept a bull by him. Power Tools marbling epd is 1.22.

Aaron":333s3xcu said:
Hogtiming":333s3xcu said:

Sorry, genetics has everything to do with it.
genetics has everything to do with the potential to excel. Feed is a key part to allow the animals to express the potential. Can't see one without the other.

I was told a few days back, on this site , that any Dairy breed was the best grading / marbling breed you could butcher. Like I said then if that's true why not run a dairy bull on your cattle.

I don't think no bull is going to make all be marbling beef, and there is no feeding program that will make them all be marbling beef. I have killed to many pot loads from the same feed lots that had several head from them same farms and some will grade and some will not, just the way it is. I say same feed lot and same farm, I am not saying we only used one feed lot and one farm. Its a lot harder to get a USDA PRIME than some people think.

BRYANT":1j0zmtzk said:
I was told a few days back, on this site, that any Dairy breed was the best grading / marbling breed you could butcher.
Like I said then if that's true why not run a dairy bull on your cattle.
Its a lot harder to get a USDA PRIME than some people think.
Efficiency.
Holsteins will produce inner fat in the muscle [marbling] before outer fat layer covering, but are grain tanks when
it comes to feed.

You want to breed for single trait selection... Wagyu.
But Airgator's question is best marbling, yet still a good all around well balanced trait sire.
I agree with warrior... GAR Prophet comes the closest.

Lazy M":1o1otsug said:
Lazy M":1o1otsug said:
We have a 9Q13 son that we keep around just for beefs that we feed out. May begin to ai a few to him just to try to get some steers. Best steaks we've ever had..can practically cut them with a fork.
https://bullsearch.absglobal.com/en-us/ ... ountry/222
Take it backabout the ai.. His straws are $50..

You will spend $50 for a single steak at a nice restaurant ... if you think he makes great steaks, why not spend the extra few bucks to eat the beef you're pretty sure you are going to really really like?

It might also help you get a better price when selling beef off the farm, too.

WalnutCrest":33ftbv42 said:
Lazy M":33ftbv42 said:
Take it back about the ai.. His straws are $50..

You will spend $50 for a single steak at a nice restaurant ...
Not me.
And more that won't, than will spend $50 on a steak agree with President Trump.... Big Macs are delicious.

p.s.
Bill Clinton also came to the White House with a McDonald's addiction.

Ebenezer":2sj8kju5 said:
Aaron":2sj8kju5 said:
Hogtiming":2sj8kju5 said:

genetics has everything to do with the potential to excel. Feed is a key part to allow the animals to express the potential. Can't see one without the other.

That's not what he was saying. He is making it out that you can take any animal and feed it to be Prime, regardless of genetics. Feed is the controlled factor, genetics is the variable factor.

Take 100 head from different breeds and locations into one pen and it doesn't matter how well you feed them as a group, they won't all be Prime.

Son of Butch":fmk5pa8i said:
WalnutCrest":fmk5pa8i said:
Lazy M":fmk5pa8i said:

Not me.
And more that won't, than will spend $50 on a steak agree with President Trump.... Big Macs are delicious.

$30 is my cutoff. But glad there are people out there that love to spend big money to fill their guts.

Aaron":2nxxgw0m said:
Ebenezer":2nxxgw0m said:
Aaron":2nxxgw0m said:

That's not what he was saying. He is making it out that you can take any animal and feed it to be Prime, regardless of genetics. Feed is the controlled factor, genetics is the variable factor.

Take 100 head from different breeds and locations into one pen and it doesn't matter how well you feed them as a group, they won't all be Prime.
I think you mistook my post. I did not mean any animal. I said genetics has some to do with it but feed ration has a lot to do with it. I have fed prophet sons an average cheap ration and have them not grade over choice. I have fed them a better feed and have them usda grade high choice to prime. I have done the same with war party calves. Look at his marbling epds. Genetics has some to do with the grading a agree. But you can really change the feed ration up and make them grade good. it works here where I live may not work for you.

Son of Butch":19moupaz said:
WalnutCrest":19moupaz said:
Lazy M":19moupaz said:

Not me.

p.s.
Bill Clinton also came to the White House with a McDonald's addiction.
What was her first name? Anything beats a hillary burger.

Aaron":2d2qyai2 said:
Son of Butch":2d2qyai2 said:
WalnutCrest":2d2qyai2 said:
Not me.

$30 is my cutoff. But glad there are people out there that love to spend big money to fill their guts.

Ok! That's exactly my point.

If you're already prepared to spend $20 / unit for any ol' bull to stick in your cows, you'll be (lots) of money ahead to spend the extra $30 / unit to get a pregnancy of a calf you know will taste good ... your mouth will be happier, and you can tell the story to your beef buyers about how awesome the beef is from this particular bull and why it's worth a bit of a premium.

You'll more than recoup the extra semen cost if you can get a bit more for the beef you're selling ... promise.

Aaron":vv3ng2g6 said:
Hogtiming":vv3ng2g6 said:

Sorry, genetics does not have everything to with it. It has been shown study after study that a high plane of nutrition from a young age is more important than genetics. It is expensive to do that. What you are really saying is that there are certain genetics that will marble under less than ideal growth conditions at a young age.

Latest posts