Best Breed for New Cattle Owner?

Help Support CattleToday:

DRSCfarm

Reaction score
Howdy!!

I am just starting out with cattle. I am going to be getting a heifer calf for showing in 4-H and major shows. I am undecided on which breed to get. Could anyone help me with which breed they feel is the easiest for a beginner owner?

The breeds I am interested in are:
1) Hereford (Polled)
2) Chianina
3) Shorthorn
4) Simmental
5) Simbrah
6) Charolais

Could anyone explain all the crossbreeding? I see that there are 3/4 one breed and 1/4 another or, for example, Angus/Charolais calves for sale, but could these even be registered? Shown? I am just a bit confused on this.

Thanks for any and all your input!

To be registered they have to be from registered stock. When I was researching what breed I wanted for a bull I used Google and googled the breeds. You get a lot of the websites for the respective breed organisations. You also get some information from agriculture colleges that have done different studies on the breed. Many of the breed websites have some good explanations of the breed, epd's etc. It is a good place to start. You can also get some good pictures of the different breeds there to help you decide what you like. take into consideration your goals both long and short term for the animal you purchase. This site is packed with great folks who really know cattle. Some are rough in there delivery but remember to take all there advice and choose for yourself which direction you go. Ultimately your the one who must answer the mail and pay the cost for your decisions. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your efforts.

Could anyone explain all the crossbreeding? I see that there are 3/4 one breed and 1/4 another or, for example, Angus/Charolais calves for sale, but could these even be registered? Shown? I am just a bit confused on this.

When you are mentioning crossbreeding you are asking about Composite (Hybrid) animals. There are numerous combinations when it comes to the breed makeup. The majority of them have Angus genetics.

As for the Angus/Charolais cattle, they can be registered with us, Composite Beef Cattle Registry.http://www.compositebeef.com

If you stay with one of the breeds you mentioned here, there are classes at most shows for those breeds. However, if there isn't, many shows also have a crossbred class. So if you were to decide to do the Angus/Charolais cross and register them with us, then those animals at this time would have to show in a crossbred class.

DRSCfarm":238eb42a said:
Howdy!!

I am just starting out with cattle. I am going to be getting a heifer calf for showing in 4-H and major shows. I am undecided on which breed to get. Could anyone help me with which breed they feel is the easiest for a beginner owner?

1) Hereford (Polled)
2) Chianina
3) Shorthorn
4) Simmental
5) Simbrah
6) Charolais

Could anyone explain all the crossbreeding? I see that there are 3/4 one breed and 1/4 another or,
for example, Angus/Charolais calves for sale, but could these even be registered? Shown? I am just a bit confused on this.

The only way your question can be answered correctly is if we know your location. What works great in the North part of the U.S. Won't work near as well in the south. And vice versa

cbcr":3somuich said:

When you are mentioning crossbreeding you are asking about Composite (Hybrid) animals. There are numerous combinations when it comes to the breed makeup. The majority of them have Angus genetics.

As for the Angus/Charolais cattle, they can be registered with us, Composite Beef Cattle Registry.http://www.compositebeef.comIf you stay with one of the breeds you mentioned here, there are classes at most shows for those breeds. However, if there isn't, many shows also have a crossbred class. So if you were to decide to do the Angus/Charolais cross and register them with us, then those animals at this time would have to show in a crossbred class.

It's official. EVERYBODY raises registered cattle....if you take time to register them. :lol2:

I'd take a serious look at the Murray Grey. That's what we have and they're very quiet and gentle cow. Finish good on grass and have no calving problems. Just a thought....

It always seem that someone tries to take comments or suggestions and take them out of context.

I have had calles from breeders that raise both registered Angus and registered Charolais. They breed the Angus to Angus and the Charolais to Charolais for a a 60 - 90 period. Then they put a Charolas bull with the Angus and an Angus bull with the Charolais. This is only one scenario. Had calls from breeders that don't like all of the politics in their breed association.

Aren't these cattle from registerd purebred animals? Where else can they be registered? What is wrong with registering them or having genetic evaluations on them?

It may surprise you as to how many people have paper records on their herd that can go back several generations knowing the lineage and breed makeup.

So if you want to laugh go ahead, but genetics plays an important role in the production of beef cattle. If you are purchasing replacement females for a commercial operation, would the genetics or breed makeup of those cattle be important or not? Or, are you happy with knowing that they are black (as an example) and everything else is just a crapshoot? Would it be nice to know what those replacements are bred to? How many of you have bought first calf heifers or even cows that you have had to pull calves, or even lost one or two of the cows? Is that profitable?

Why do you have beef cattle? Is it just a hobby and something to do or are your intentions to make a profit? Is it only because your parents or grandparents had cattle?

You want to make us out to be the enemy, but we are not. We offer a service to those that wish to use it. If you aren't interested in our services, that is OK with us, we know that our service isn't for everyone. But, please don't make fun of those that do find value and usefulness for what we have to offer.

DRSCfarm said:
Howdy!!

1) Hereford (Polled)
2) Chianina
3) Shorthorn
4) Simmental
5) Simbrah
6) Charolais

Where are you from? Climate has a lot to do with what you are doing in the high country, south texas, one breed is not I deal for any one area. The hotter it is the better to have a brahma influence. Me personally Like brahma influence, beefmaster or your # 5 choice simbra, Beefmasters are made up of your # 1,3

Cross breeding- Very simple Registered hereford bull on a registered angus cow. is a 1/2 1/2. their calf is bred to a angus bull and that calf is 3/4 angus 1/4 hereford

TexasBred":kehj0bqg said:
cbcr":kehj0bqg said:

As for the Angus/Charolais cattle, they can be registered with us, Composite Beef Cattle Registry.http://www.compositebeef.comIf you stay with one of the breeds you mentioned here, there are classes at most shows for those breeds. However, if there isn't, many shows also have a crossbred class. So if you were to decide to do the Angus/Charolais cross and register them with us, then those animals at this time would have to show in a crossbred class.

It's official. EVERYBODY raises registered cattle....if you take time to register them. :lol2:

:clap: :clap: :lol2:

Lon":167l8dhv said:
Could anyone explain all the crossbreeding? I see that there are 3/4 one breed and 1/4 another or, for example, Angus/Charolais calves for sale, but could these even be registered? Shown? I am just a bit confused on this

It's official. EVERYBODY raises registered cattle....if you take time to register them. :lol2:[/quote]

:clap: :clap: :lol2:[/quote]

So if you want to laugh go ahead, but genetics plays an important role in the production of beef cattle. If you are purchasing replacement females for a commercial operation, would the genetics or breed makeup of those cattle be important or not? Or, are you happy with knowing that they are black (as an example) and everything else is just a crapshoot? Would it be nice to know what those replacements are bred to? How many of you have bought first calf heifers or even cows that you have had to pull calves, or even lost one or two of the cows? Is that profitable?

Why do you have beef cattle? Is it just a hobby and something to do or are your intentions to make a profit? Is it only because your parents or grandparents had cattle?

You want to make us out to be the enemy, but we are not. We offer a service to those that wish to use it. If you aren't interested in our services, that is OK with us, we know that our service isn't for everyone. But, please don't make fun of those that do find value and usefulness for what we have to offer.

cbcr ya have already argued your opinion about your service alot here from what i have read. dont you think maybe your feeling are just getting a little bit hurt to easily from just a few chuckles. better thickin that skin up specially if your gonna sell a service that either most people dont want or cant find a use for. not knockin what ya do im just saying my :2cents:

Doesn't bother me.

What I have found out more than anything is, many people seem to be in their own little world and are afraid of change or new technology or anything new for that matter. They are stuck in a rutt and happy to stay that way!

I have no opinion on cbcr service however I think this point is relevent, to show at most shows the animal has to be registered with its respective breed association, you may get a certificate of registry from cbcr service but at a show it won't be worth the paper it's printed on.

As for breed, choose something you like the look of, don't shy away from a breed that has strong competition, what's the point in going to a show if there's no competition? without competition you don't get better, stronger, or more successful.

DRSCfarm":2d2sxkyg said:
Howdy!!

1) Hereford (Polled)
2) Chianina
3) Shorthorn
4) Simmental
5) Simbrah
6) Charolais

its so nice to see a young person take an intrest in showing cattle.1st whatever breed you choose it has tobe reg to show at most all of the shows.an being young you need a calf that is quiet an easy to handle.an from your list i see 2 breeds that should be good for you to start with 1 the polled herefords 3 shorthorn both are fairly gentle an easy to handle for a beginner.some of the other breeds are a tad highstrung.

randiliana":1ulyeqnp said:
Hereford are known to be about the quietest breed out there. Shorthorn would be a close second I think.

I would have to say Red Poll first when it comes to quiet :D

Thanks for your information everyone!!

After doing more research on the breeds available in my area (Southeast Texas), I have decided on a Charolais, Shorthorn, or Hereford. I have found quite a few breeders with nice heifers for sale.

Personally, looking at it from a new owner's standpoint, I think crossbred cattle would be nice for meat quality, but registered cattle of pure bred bloodlines (or, for example, Shorthorn Plus) should be the ones we show. It just seems logical to me. I have shown horses for quite a while. We have registered classes and "grade" classes for horses without papers. The grade classes are much smaller with horses of lesser quality. Not to say that crossbred cattle are any lesser quality, but logically as show animals they would not be worth as much without registration papers. I have horses that are not registered, I still love them, but they are not worth the same as a registered horse of their same caliber. Just my :2cents: from an uneducated standpoint ;-)

Once again, I would like to thank everyone for you input.

For those of you who question showing cattle that would be registered with the Composite Beef Cattle Registry.

The following statement appears in the rules for many shows.

Purebred Animals: All animals in Registered Breeding Beef classes, including Composites, must have registration papers.

If there is no class for a breed they would show in AOB (All Other Breeds) Classes.

Now, my question is WHERE can a 50 Angus and a 50% Charolais be registered? How many Club Calf sire are not registered and bred to commercial cows, WHERE can these animals be registered?

Latest posts