Best Breed for New Cattle Owner?

Help Support CattleToday:

I love our Herefords. ;-)

Like all breeds there is always a high headed snot blowing load that sucker on the trailer one.
Watch how they act and how they behave when a person is near by.
Seen bulls that acted calm then tried to jump out of the sale ring.

Welcome. I went back and re-read your original post and picked up that this will be a youth project in southeast Texas. Check out the rules on the shows you plan to attend and what breed shows are there. Some have classes for crossbreds and composites and others don't. Not all breeds have enough cattle to make a breed show.

Another consideration that you have not mentioned is what do the various breeds offer through their junior breed associations.

Although I would hope that you would look at Santa Gertrudis, they were not on your short list. From your list, I would suggest that you look at Hereford for southeast Texas. My thinking is the Hereford breed is a good gentle breed for beginners and after you retire from showing, they can be bred a number of ways to produce good replacement females (Brahman, Brangus, Santa Gertrudis, Beefmaster, Red Brangus, etc) that are adapted to your area.

BC":3td6q8ai said:
Welcome. I went back and re-read your original post and picked up that this will be a youth project in southeast Texas. Check out the rules on the shows you plan to attend and what breed shows are there. Some have classes for crossbreds and composites and others don't. Not all breeds have enough cattle to make a breed show.

Another consideration that you have not mentioned is what do the various breeds offer through their junior breed associations.

Although I would hope that you would look at Santa Gertrudis, they were not on your short list. From your list, I would suggest that you look at Hereford for southeast Texas. My thinking is the Hereford breed is a good gentle breed for beginners and after you retire from showing, they can be bred a number of ways to produce good replacement females (Brahman, Brangus, Santa Gertrudis, Beefmaster, Red Brangus, etc) that are adapted to your area.

Good advice. I bet SG are popular down in South Texas. I would think Hereford would be something more special.

BC":1x356dz7 said:

I second this advice..I admit, the one breed on your list I seriously looked at with Simmental..and they have a good youth program, which was appealing to me and my situation..

I to would like to say how nice it is to see such a mature, thoughtful young person..you are going about this the right way..through research and getting advice. Good job. :clap:

Another thing to think about since you're in Texas is whether or not you'll be going to slick (no hair) shows. That might have some impact on the best breed, as some of the cattle you mentioned do better at shows with hair.

cbcr":1o7g22d1 said:
Lon":1o7g22d1 said:
Could anyone explain all the crossbreeding? I see that there are 3/4 one breed and 1/4 another or, for example, Angus/Charolais calves for sale, but could these even be registered? Shown? I am just a bit confused on this
When you are mentioning crossbreeding you are asking about Composite (Hybrid) animals. There are numerous combinations when it comes to the breed makeup. The majority of them have Angus genetics.

As for the Angus/Charolais cattle, they can be registered with us, Composite Beef Cattle Registry.http://www.compositebeef.comIf you stay with one of the breeds you mentioned here, there are classes at most shows for those breeds. However, if there isn't, many shows also have a crossbred class. So if you were to decide to do the Angus/Charolais cross and register them with us, then those animals at this time would have to show in a crossbred class.

It's official. EVERYBODY raises registered cattle....if you take time to register them. :lol2:

:clap: :clap: :lol2:[/quote]

So if you want to laugh go ahead, but genetics plays an important role in the production of beef cattle. If you are purchasing replacement females for a commercial operation, would the genetics or breed makeup of those cattle be important or not? Or, are you happy with knowing that they are black (as an example) and everything else is just a crapshoot? Would it be nice to know what those replacements are bred to? How many of you have bought first calf heifers or even cows that you have had to pull calves, or even lost one or two of the cows? Is that profitable?

Why do you have beef cattle? Is it just a hobby and something to do or are your intentions to make a profit? Is it only because your parents or grandparents had cattle?

You want to make us out to be the enemy, but we are not. We offer a service to those that wish to use it. If you aren't interested in our services, that is OK with us, we know that our service isn't for everyone. But, please don't make fun of those that do find value and usefulness for what we have to offer.[/quote]

I'm just trying to figure out "Where is the starting point" on all these mongrels I own that never had any pedigree until you told me I could register them???? Do I pull a bunch of numbers out of my ass since I bought all my "foundation cows' at the sale barn and have proceeded from there for years now....yeah it's funny as hel to me. Put I guess you can still make numbers say what you want them to say. :frowns:

cbcr":62qbc5ki said:
For those of you who question showing cattle that would be registered with the Composite Beef Cattle Registry.

The following statement appears in the rules for many shows.

Purebred Animals: All animals in Registered Breeding Beef classes, including Composites, must have registration papers.

If there is no class for a breed they would show in AOB (All Other Breeds) Classes.

Now, my question is WHERE can a 50 Angus and a 50% Charolais be registered? How many Club Calf sire are not registered and bred to commercial cows, WHERE can these animals be registered?

im gonna start off here by saying i have never showd any cattle in my life as a kid so i could be wrong but here is my thought process on this. first 50/50 angus charolaise i imagine if was trying to registar it would be because of breeding up to something so i imagine calves would have to be registared with one of those breeds (if possible i dont know). second as far as bred to commercial cows and where to register those well i am going to have to say i dont know anyone that regesters thier commercial cows or would want to pay to do so. they are just that commercial cows. wich around here usually means producing calves for the sale barn as thats how 99% here are sold. now if was wanting to registar than would be raising seedstock and that wouldnt be out of just some set of commercial cows. now on to the showing a calf part here is where i will admit i could be wrong let me know if i am. but a 50/50 or any other cross with angus or charolais isnt gonna compete in showing in my mind. sure wouldnt grow like a full charolais or have exactly what i imagine pure angus judges are looking for. so why compete with that. why not compete with something you would have a chance with. and before ya jump me about not all poeple can afford to buy top of line your right im not saying that. i know i cant afford it myself but if my son wanted to show calves when he grew up i am sure i could save enough money up to give him a better chance than a mongrel bred calf competeing against purebred calves. even if that meant had to go buy a straigh angus or charolais cow and run her with that kind of bull would still in my mind give a better chance at comming ahead. i know it aint about winning but it sure is about trying and doing your best and if he was willing to put forth the effort to do his best i would figure out a way to help him more than with just a crossbred anything and than trowing him in a show where he aint got a chance. i am sure you talk somepeople into finding a use for what ya have there but just because you would register the calf doesnt mean the kid has a better chance and if your showing i would assume that is what he would be working twords. but like i said i could be wrong cause i never showed calves so i might be completely wrong on what it takes to try and win or at least not be last so if i am wrong than someone do tell me here so i know in the future if my son wants to show something if i can pull it out of pasture and send him to town with a fighting chance.

Lon,

I do agree on one thing with you COMMERCIAL cows are just that, commercial cows, nothing wrong with that in the least bit. After all commercial cows make up the majority of the beef herds in the US.

An Angus/Charolais cross animal can be just as good a quality animals as any other breed.

Back when I was showing in 4-H and FFA steers for for the most part were pretty reasonably priced. Now days this is not the case. Many of the steers that kids are showing are sired by Club Calf bulls and many are spending $2,000 - $6,000 to purchase them. There are even club calf breeders that if they find even a good commercial cow (unknown parentage even) and get an outstanding calf, they will use that cow as an ET doner.

cbcr":2btluv1k said:
Lon,

I do agree on one thing with you COMMERCIAL cows are just that, commercial cows, nothing wrong with that in the least bit. After all commercial cows make up the majority of the beef herds in the US.

An Angus/Charolais cross animal can be just as good a quality animals as any other breed.Back when I was showing in 4-H and FFA steers for for the most part were pretty reasonably priced. Now days this is not the case. Many of the steers that kids are showing are sired by Club Calf bulls and many are spending $2,000 - $6,000 to purchase them. There are even club calf breeders that if they find even a good commercial cow (unknown parentage even) and get an outstanding calf, they will use that cow as an ET doner.

i dont argue this what i am saying is that do you think that cross if showed against either pure angus or pure charolais will actually hold its own. Or when people show calves is it not done by breed and just any one bring anything they want and show it against anything else around?

i dont argue this what i am saying is that do you think that cross if showed against either pure angus or pure charolais will actually hold its own. Or when people show calves is it not done by breed and just any one bring anything they want and show it against anything else around?

In most all shows, the classes are shown by breed. Angus, Simmental, Shorthorn, etc.

Here are how some rules break classes down.

Eligible Breeds/Breed Classifications: To qualify for a breed show, there must be a minimum of 5 head. Less than 5 head will show in a purebred AOB Division.
a. Purebred AOB - Any animal issued a full blood or purebred registration certificate in a breed with less than 5 head will compete
in a purebred AOB Division.
b. Percentage AOB - Any animal issued half blood, appendix, or balancer papers, etc., or for animals issued a percentage breed
registration certificate will compete in a percentage AOB Division.
c. Purebred AOB and Percentage AOB may be combined if the 5 head minimum is not attained.

If the show has designated classes by breed animals will show in their respective breed classes, then the rest of the cattle will fall under these rules.