Best Angus cross

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE":2fv2wlof said:
Massey135":2fv2wlof said:
Taurus":2fv2wlof said:
The only one breed you don't want to cross with an angus for replacement would be Holsteins.
Id take 3/4 Angus 1/4 holstein replacements over 3/4 angus 1/4 continental everytime. Though, neither is ideal.

replace the holstein with friesian and you'll have a helluva cow.

Probably the most efficient cows I've seen is 25% jersey 75% hereford. Not much to look at themselves, but they are fertile, get by on very little and wean massive calves when bred to a good beefy bull. I wish I still has mine.
As long as these dairy crosses do not have any udder problems, then they would be OK in my books. I had some F1 holstein x angus cows in past....well there's some reasons that I said I had.

Galloway2":21oxno5s said:
The Galloway X Angus makes a pretty darn good efficient range cow. They are efficient, hardy, fertile, and will bring you home good calves, no matter what breed of a bull you run on them.
Not mentioned that they are low input cows and do excellent in woodland (from my experiences).

KNERSIE":1ucbct76 said:
Cross breeder #1":1ucbct76 said:
Massey135":1ucbct76 said:
This is simple-use a british breed (shorthorn,angus,hereford)
for making replacements, use a continental breed (char,limo)for terminal calves. This is 101.
what dont you understand about not all continetal breeds being terminal? there are some continentals that are more fertile, and wean higher percentage than some english its a known fact

Name them[/quote

I cant speak to weaning percentages, but I have read that according to MARC reserch Gelbvieh heifers will on average come into heat before Angus. That makes em pretty hot pistols!

"I cant speak to weaning percentages, but I have read that according to MARC reserch Gelbvieh heifers will on average come into heat before Angus. That makes em pretty hot pistols!'"

thankyou for that, i couldnt find it so i didnt say anything about it

Don't believe nothing you hear-read, and only half of what see. Not a bi-partisan test. All my heifers are bred by their first birthday, or there gone.

Kinda my thinking highgrit. Ive been around cattle of all breeds my entire life and imo, if theyre not cycling until they are a yr old,.then they are either infertile or very late maturing. That publishing makes it seem like the norm.

highgrit":14nb8e7e said:
Don't believe nothing you hear-read, and only half of what see. Not a bi-partisan test. All my heifers are bred by their first birthday, or there gone.

It would have been a bipartisan test if there were only 2 breeds involved. There were in fact several................

3waycross":3vjdobaj said:
highgrit":3vjdobaj said:

It would have been a bipartisan test if there were only 2 breeds involved. There were in fact several................
Would that be one of those "figures don;t lie but liars figure" kind of deals

It would have been a bipartisan test if there were only 2 breeds involved. There were in fact several................[/quote]
Would that be one of those "figures don;t lie but liars figure" kind of deals[/quote]

I don't know but if someone has empirical data that refutes it then I would like to see it. I do know that one of the geniuses that posted on this subject cannot read a simple chart.

highgrit":10u9jatl said:
Nope, but when your doing the test, most of the time you will get the results your looking for.

I have a Vet friend who i knew before I got back into the cow biz. The first time she did some cow work for me she left me with this advice.

You are raising Gelbvieh cattle they are sexually mature at a much younger age than other breeds. Never assume that your weaned heifers are not already pregnant.
Lutalyse them as a matter of practice at weaning. I asked her where she read this and she said. When I was in college it was taught as fact and the herds they worked with in Vet School bore it out.

NOT ONE DAM BIT OF THAT CAME FROM THE GELBVIEH ASSN

highgrit":3ovrfrh5 said:
All my heifers are bred by their first birthday, or there gone.
Do you calve year round then? I try to hit fourteen months and that puts them a little before their mommas so that they get an extra two to three weeks to get themselves together before I ask them to breed back. Two months of growing up makes a big differance when they're only a year old.

Latest posts