Best all around bull

Help Support CattleToday:

ChWorley

Reaction score
Here in fescue country in southwest,va, I'm looking for opinions on the best bull options to bred back to angus cows. I had a decent angus bull with them last year but I was very unhappy with the weaning weights. I going to spend some money on a good registered bull but I wanted your opinions. I was thinking maybe limousin, Simmental, or a better angus bull. I thought a hybrid may grow off faster. Any suggestions based on experience?

not sure there is a best all around bull. i can tell you my experience i was using both angus and sim. my fall calves i just weaned most are A I ed the angus out weigh the sim, i used a 5/8 sim bull to clean up there ok. but last spring the sims out weighed the angus. the cow side will make a difference. if your going to have terminal calves whatever breed you pick spend the money and get a good one with some growth. and for what its worth im going back to straight angus and go the purebred route but thats just me, theres good and bad in all breeds.

Red Bull Breeder":1gmuhi4j said:
Use a straight bred bull for terminal Limousin will work as will other breed. Crossbred calf should out grow a straight bred calf.
This worked well for me. I just don't get folks spending big dollars on a BA bull to produce straight bred feeder calves...

IMO, it isn't so much the breed, but the production ability of an animal. And I agree, go with a different breed, might as well take advantage of the hybrid vigor.

You can find bulls that have high and low growth in any breed, take a look at his actual performance and his EPD's and compare them to the rest of the bulls in a sale or on the farm. While going for the highest performing bull may not be the end all and be all of it, at least look for something that has average to higher than average numbers.

Limousin and and Gelbvieh are much harder to come by in my area of Va. There out there but seem to be most expensive. I have found two local Simmental ranches that have very good looking stock. Also some Simangus bulls available. One more variable before I make my decision. I have about 6 beautiful Angus heifers that I kept this year trying to get a better herd. They will be 15 months in June. Now I want high growth for all my cows but I don't want calving problems from these heifers. Advice

randiliana":3l56vpfd said:
IMO, it isn't so much the breed, but the production ability of an animal. And I agree, go with a different breed, might as well take advantage of the hybrid vigor.

You can find bulls that have high and low growth in any breed, take a look at his actual performance and his EPD's and compare them to the rest of the bulls in a sale or on the farm. While going for the highest performing bull may not be the end all and be all of it, at least look for something that has average to higher than average numbers.

Good advice Randi. Since there isnt too many choices of Gelb, or Limi's around, then take a good look at those Simm's. I know a few folks who love that hybrid mix. Sim/angus is a good one. But as usual, I still prefer the Limflex. :nod:

Less then acceptable growth can;t always be blamed on the bull. You need the genetics for growth but you also require cows that can milk enough to let the calves grow to their potential which brings it down to the first step. You have to have the forage base to provide the cow the required nutrition to make that milk and the cows have to be adapted to that forage base.

Same situation here. Looking for better wean weight or at least better gains after weaning. Mainly Angus or Angus x cows. Went with reg. Black Simmi bull , at work now. Time will tell. Good and poor choices in every breed. Hope your choice works for you. On the heifers think birth weights. As stated above the cows and pasture are major factors in outcome.

Black Brangus first if you are not interested in adding color. Simbrah would be my second choice. I really like the Brahman cross breeds for size and stability!

dun":bq6b97wn said:
Less then acceptable growth can;t always be blamed on the bull. You need the genetics for growth but you also require cows that can milk enough to let the calves grow to their potential which brings it down to the first step. You have to have the forage base to provide the cow the required nutrition to make that milk and the cows have to be adapted to that forage base.

I agree with this Dun. Feed is first and foremost, without it, it doesn't matter much what your performance potential is. Without the proper nutrition, your fertility will be affected too. But, assuming that there is enough feed, and decent cows with reasonable milking ability, then you have to look for a bull that can add the growth to the calves, and you can't do that with lower than average numbers and EPD's.

CHworley, the best choice would be to breed the heifers to a 'heifer' bull. AI'ing might be a good option. Otherwise, pay fairly good attention to your BW and Calving Ease EPD's. And also look for good growth EPD's. High growth and Low BW aren't that easy to find, but they are out there.

As well, have a good look at the bull you are considering. A long bodied, smoothly built animal will calve a lot easier than a blocky or bulgy bull usually will.

The problems is that a lot of folks just think a new/bigger/better/whatever bull will solve their problems when the problem isn;t seen in it's true light.

Best bull?...lets seeee...

Mine?

Want to buy him? :lol:

Best thing to do is like others have mentioned. Breed to some PB bull, then take the sale ticket and start culling cows off of that.

ChWorley":38fnkya5 said:
Limousin and and Gelbvieh are much harder to come by in my area of Va. There out there but seem to be most expensive. I have found two local Simmental ranches that have very good looking stock. Also some Simangus bulls available. One more variable before I make my decision. I have about 6 beautiful Angus heifers that I kept this year trying to get a better herd. They will be 15 months in June. Now I want high growth for all my cows but I don't want calving problems from these heifers. Advice

My partner and I bought an outstanding yearling Gelbvieh bull from Knollcrest Farms in Virginia last year and had him shipped to Missouri. Don't understand why you would have trouble finding one. Virginia ain't that big is it?

I just looked at some registered 6 Simmental bulls, all very good stock ai bred, the one that I liked the best was the highest birth weight 92 lbs of the 6 (dam was an older angus cow) I hear a old dam can add 3-5 lbs to the calf weight. That bull was 1000 lbs at 12 months and had the length, small head, everything I'm looking for. Price is good. What do you guys think.

ChWorley":2lj0v3al said:
I just looked at some registered 6 Simmental bulls, all very good stock ai bred, the one that I liked the best was the highest birth weight 92 lbs of the 6 (dam was an older angus cow) I hear a old dam can add 3-5 lbs to the calf weight. That bull was 1000 lbs at 12 months and had the length, small head, everything I'm looking for. Price is good. What do you guys think.
On cows I wouldn;t worry, heifers I wouldn;t use him.

ChWorley":sym6rslw said:
Should work good, as long as he ain't a bag of bones now. ;-)
Do you know what bull they are out of?

Latest posts