Best Advice, Pasture Weeds?

Help Support CattleToday:

SFFarms

Reaction score
Well, i searched past posts and i couldnt really find any good advice. I have a pasture with good amount of weeds in it :frowns: . Im wondering when is the best time to spray to kill it? I heard best time was first of spring when grass grows. Any advice on what is the best weed killer to use? I have been looking at Gordon's Amine 400 2,4d is anyone had good use out of it? Im planting Rye,wheat,oats, in the fall for hay in the spring will this weed killer hurt any of this?

Any advice :?:

SFF

Some weeds require one herbicide some require another. To make it worse there will be a best time for the different varieties.
Do a search on the particular weed giving you the most problem then go from there. Most labels list the weeds that the herbicide is effective on along with the application rate and the best growth stage to apply. If you have clover be aware that some herbicides have a residual that may effect it.

Usually when a plant is actively growing is the best time to spray. Once they've started to flower and worse when they've started to set seed they're almost impossible to kill.
For any of the vrious broadleaf weeds, if I don;t want a residual affect, I use whatever 2,4-d happens to be cheapest to use.

dun":2fsh876n said:
Usually when a plant is actively growing is the best time to spray. Once they've started to flower and worse when they've started to set seed they're almost impossible to kill.
For any of the vrious broadleaf weeds, if I don;t want a residual affect, I use whatever 2,4-d happens to be cheapest to use.
you right.. i have knocked out thistle,pigweed and knocked a dent in wildbutter cup with just 2-4-d treated in "early" spring i have sprayed buttercup on warm feb. days, its there folks just dont start treating till they see blooms then its a waste of time,fuel, and chemicals

SFFarms":mwdfoh5a said:
Well, i searched past posts and i couldnt really find any good advice. I have a pasture with good amount of weeds in it :frowns: . Im wondering when is the best time to spray to kill it? I heard best time was first of spring when grass grows. Any advice on what is the best weed killer to use? I have been looking at Gordon's Amine 400 2,4d is anyone had good use out of it? Im planting Rye,wheat,oats, in the fall for hay in the spring will this weed killer hurt any of this?

SFF

It's probably a little late to spray this year. If it were me, I would probably mow down the pasture before the Fall planting and focus on the weeds next Spring. I made that same decision about 2 weeks ago on one of my pastures that had a lot of goat weed in it. I waited too late to spray, so I mowed it this year and made a note to spray it earlier next year.

novatech":680jv4lk said:
If you have clover be aware that some herbicides have a residual that may effect it.

Which one is this? We have a couple horse pastures that'd we'd like to kill the clover in.

CPL":3ss8t396 said:
novatech":3ss8t396 said:
If you have clover be aware that some herbicides have a residual that may effect it.

Which one is this? We have a couple horse pastures that'd we'd like to kill the clover in.
Grazon P&D ( I think they call it something else now ) has a residual. It is the one I have used but there are others. ask your local supplier. The length of time the residual will be effective will be determined by the weather and or build up of using it over and over. If the clover comes back up then use 2-4-D as directed.
I was not aware that horses could not eat clover.

CPL":3eksdjpr said:
novatech":3eksdjpr said:

Would you mind explaining why?

msscamp":2uwyz2c6 said:
CPL":2uwyz2c6 said:
novatech":2uwyz2c6 said:

Would you mind explaining why?

I understand that clover has a much higher protein content than forages such as bermuda. I have always been careful about turning my horses out full time in the spring when the clover is thick. I limit their grazing time during this season.

I had two horses get laminitis from grazing full time on a thick stand of bahai grass. My vet says he sees it often. They concentrate on nipping off and eating the top seed pods (instead of the leafy part of the plant). The bahai seed pods are extremely high in protein and next thing you know they're tender footed. I've been careful every since about putting them on any kind of rich pasture full time. JMO.

SFFarms":tjlz9242 said:

SFF

Suggestion:

1- Go to http://www.Dogpile.com

2- Type "Pasture Weed Control" in [SEARCH] box

3- Click on "Go Fetch"

4- Scroll and read appropriate Titles

DOC HARRIS

Milestone looks like a very effective herbicide for hard to kill weeds. From reading the label though I believe you wouldnt want to spray it on anything that has clover or alfalfa seeded into it. Ive asked before and might as well ask again. What do you spray that wont kill your grasses or your alfalfa in a mixed stand? Cause I certainly havent found anything that controls Spotted Knapweed in a mixed stand of grass/alfalfa. If anyone has an answer please let me know.