bermuda seeded yard

Help Support CattleToday:

tommy&april

Reaction score
this has nothing to do with my pastures, i just covered my yard(new yard at new house) with some good sandy lome topsoil and i seeded it with hulled bermuda seed. kept it good and moist and now it is starting to come up(only up about an 1/8 of an inch. when do i need to fertalize it and what do i need to use. im trying to get a good heavy yard started. so it wont be muddy come winter.

Without soil test I would say put 400 pounds per acre of 13-13-13. I am assuming that the yard is smaller that about two acres. If larger I would recomend soil test and a spicific blend of bulk.
And it needs the fertelizer NOW if not before.

its only about 1/2 acre yard. im getting 2 answers one says fertalize now and the other says wait to fewrtalize till it gets taller..that seems to be the concensous im getting thoses 2 answers from everyone i ask

tommy&april":2g712xl4 said:
its only about 1/2 acre yard. im getting 2 answers one says fertalize now and the other says wait to fewrtalize till it gets taller..that seems to be the concensous im getting thoses 2 answers from everyone i ask

Both are probably right cause it depends on water. If you fertilize it before it gets a good root system it will grow faster thus needing more water. With ample water you will have no problem. Without, you could push the top growth too much which could cause it to stress out and die. By waiting until it establishes a larger root you don't have to worry so much about water when you do fertilize. Maybe this will shed some light.

put some lime out aswell if its all bermuda not not much crapgrass fert. now if a lot of crabgrass i would cut it and then fert. 10-10-10 or 16-4-8.

put some lime out as well

Why lime? We have it leaching out of the limestone here. Mines are hauling it out and selling it. Why would anyone add it to the soil when there is an abundance?

The soil test answers in this thread are on the money. Very few nickels invested to test the soil. Lots of nickels saved by not adding what is not needed. The end result is a perfect lawn.

my area needs lime we have to put a least a 1 ton every other year to the acre. But a couple tons if the land has been not looked after.

Numerouws times I hear people talk about adding Lime to stuff. For the record Lime is alkaline. Sulfur is acidic.

Bermuda and other "native" range type warm season grasses need a pH between about 6.5 and 7.5 and not higher than pH of 8.0.

Unless one's soil is "acidic" (below pH of 6.0) there is no real benefit to adding Lime. You don't want to add Lime to already alkaline soil.

Remember: The pH scale is "Logrithmic". For each 1.0 point increase (decrease), it is 10 times more (less) of the pH.

Bottomline: If one's soil is too alkaline, add sulphur (or Ammonium Sulfate fertilizer). If soil is too acid, add Lime or alkaline based fertilizer.

Also, remember water has a pH too. The pH of water will tend to moderate the acidity or alkalinity of one's soil (beit a small amount unless you're growing hydroponically...lol).

yea but i've seen ph's in the 4's and most land is around 5.2 when tested. don't other people on here have to lime.

It all depends on where you are and what your soil test calls for. That $10 investment can save you from spending money on something that is not needed. Quit guessing and send soil samples in and find out what is needed.

tommy&april":liv8c74x said:

Heck Tommy...we ain't all disagreeing...just giving you a choice. :nod: :nod:

Latest posts