Stinging plant in the yard ID?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
This looks like Henbit but it stings like the devil and I've never had that happen with henbit before. Found it growing in one of wife's flower beds and wish I had never touched it. Thumb, 2 fingers stinging & mild pain going up into my wrist still over 2 hours after pulling it up.
Tiny stickers all along the stalk are where the stinging comes from. Leaves don't appear to be physically harmful.

DSC00783.JPG

DSC00785.JPGDSC00782.JPG

Here you go;

Urtica dioica
"In indigenous justice systems in Ecuador, urtication was used as punishment for severe crimes in 2010. The sentenced perpetrator of a crime was flogged with stinging nettle, in public, naked, whilst being showered with freezing cold water."
What do you call that dance?

The only nettle I've ever seen is a much bigger plant, with much bigger leaves and the leaves look completely different. Bull or horse nettle.

cnidosolus.jpg

Still hurts like hell though, don't it?

It's a plant that can express presentation differently, depending upon local environmental conditions, kinda like women.
Where do you think Nazareth came up with the song? Love Hurts, love stings.

Next door recently introduced stinging nettle with some rubbish they dumped, starting to make its way onto my place. I have a similar experience first time i pulled some out. Now i use gloves, nasty little plant. Meant to be good to eat.

Latest posts