Beginner's Darwin Award/ Not All People Should Own Cattle!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Other than groups like PETA (not the eating one ;-) ) are there government-connected animal welfare agencies who look into such cases of animal neglect/abuse? Here we have the SPCA and a Ministry of Agriculture which will investigate reports of neglect in farm situations. Some cases here lead to prosecutions, many to education from the investigators, if the offenders have been ignorant.

State Ag tends to look at animal welfare complaints when it comes to livestock... I think ASPCA or humane society looks into horses but that might be State Department of Ag as well...

Yep, I've done the dog crate in the back of a truck thing before, too! I also hauled a baby goat on the floorboards of my old truck.

Yep, the baby goat was after an auction had ended and I saw someone toss a malnourished baby goat out of his trailer, (really gave it a good throw, too!). When I walked over to pick it up, (it was alive, but weak), he came up and asked for ten bucks if I wanted the goat. I understand if you get a cull, but if you chuck it, don't try to get money from someone who feels the need to give it a chance. Next time, (if there is one), I'll just wait 'til he leaves! :D Anyway, it turned out to be a decent, (though stunted), Toggenburg dairy goat. I worked for a vet at that time, so worming, vaccines and antibiotics were free. Taught her to walk on a leash and gave her away to a 'educational farm' for suburban kids. That goat is still there in the lap of luxury.

There, that story ought to make the PETA folks settle down a bit. :lol:

Little Cow":1mz6bff2 said:
Yep, I've done the dog crate in the back of a truck thing before, too! I also hauled a baby goat on the floorboards of my old truck.

Yep, the baby goat was after an auction had ended and I saw someone toss a malnourished baby goat out of his trailer, (really gave it a good throw, too!). When I walked over to pick it up, (it was alive, but weak), he came up and asked for ten bucks if I wanted the goat. I understand if you get a cull, but if you chuck it, don't try to get money from someone who feels the need to give it a chance. Next time, (if there is one), I'll just wait 'til he leaves! :D Anyway, it turned out to be a decent, (though stunted), Toggenburg dairy goat. I worked for a vet at that time, so worming, vaccines and antibiotics were free. Taught her to walk on a leash and gave her away to a 'educational farm' for suburban kids. That goat is still there in the lap of luxury.

There, that story ought to make the PETA folks settle down a bit. :lol:

Did ya' give the creep the money? I don't blame ya' if ya' did...but with my mouth, I'd have told him to call the law... :mad:

Alice

Yep. (Picture the old Looney Tunes cartoons with the 'sucker' replacing the character for a moment).

However, I did make it obvious enough for bystanders to see what was happening. The guy got some nasty looks from real ranchers. I think it cost more to him and his reputation than the ten bucks cost me.

aplusmnt":3frzkgsk said:
I will be hauling some pigs in two weeks in the back of a Cargo Trailer. Just unload the buffers and throw in some wood chips or straw.

We buy our show pigs last weekend of March and it is usually cold in the evening when we bring them home. I can not see hauling a 20ft stock trailer to haul 3 little baby pigs in. So the cargo works great.

We usually put our piglets and bum lambs in a dog crate in the back of the van. :p

i once hauled 3 jersey calves in the back of a station wagon,
they were really scoured and honestly didn't expect 2 of them to make it but it was either get them and get gone or they guys was gonna feed them to his dogs, i didn't think he was gonna kill them first either, had a pack of mongerals penned up and they were having a fit!

long story short, i managed to save 2 of the three and had some pretty decent hamburger later on down the road.

the station wagon was cleanable :D

First bottle ( 3 day old ) that was given to me I put her in the back of my Jimmy, closed the gate, turned to talk to my friend and heard the tell-tale tinkle on the ice under the tail gate.

We just about did the same thing in our pants we were laughing so hard!

I forgive her, she just dropped me a Gelb/Angus/Holstein calf last week. :lol:

ALX

Latest posts