Beginner's Darwin Award/ Not All People Should Own Cattle!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Horrible situation. I agree that the people had no business owning cattle. But, I wonder why someone would sell calves that young to rank beginners? When I first bought some cows from a guy down the road, I had to demonstrate a basic knowledge of animal husbandry. He also helped me out several times over the first few months whenever I had a question.

Little Cow":vupugsrq said:
Horrible situation. I agree that the people had no business owning cattle. But, I wonder why someone would sell calves that young to rank beginners? When I first bought some cows from a guy down the road, I had to demonstrate a basic knowledge of animal husbandry. He also helped me out several times over the first few months whenever I had a question.

There's no discrimination at the Stock Sale if you got the money, they'll lay anything you bid on, right in the Trailer or the back seat, dog kennel, stock racks, etc. I.E. no license checks, IQ tests, just bring your purse, billfold, or check book.

Crowderfarms":1r3dlbqs said:
Little Cow":1r3dlbqs said:

There's no discrimination at the Stock Sale if you got the money, they'll lay anything you bid on, right in the Trailer or the back seat, dog kennel, stock racks, etc. I.E. no license checks, IQ tests, just bring your purse, billfold, or check book.

That's funny, because last sale I went to I was amazed at some of the stuff people were loading calves into. A person was there with old station wagon with and old Toyota truck bed trailer with old plywood on side and blue tarps loading up a two small calves in it. Kind of looked out of place parked next to the guy next to him in a new F350 pulling a 25ft aluminum stock trailer

My all time favorite is the used school bus / cattle truck. I swear this is true. Some guy took an old school bus - built a wall behind the driver's seat, removed all the passenger seats and was hauling cattle in it. Saw him last fall, haven't seen him since.

Bullbuyer":3pqz94h5 said:
My all time favorite is the used school bus / cattle truck. I swear this is true. Some guy took an old school bus - built a wall behind the driver's seat, removed all the passenger seats and was hauling cattle in it. Saw him last fall, haven't seen him since.

Was it a short bus ? Because I bet thats what the guy rode to school when he was a kid.

Cow_Town":1u3j9ztz said:
Bullbuyer":1u3j9ztz said:

Was it a short bus ? Because I bet thats what the guy rode to school when he was a kid.

:lol: :lol:

Last year there was a woman on here that inquired about moving some calves in an enclosed U-Haul trailer.
Necessity is the mother..........

dun

I sold a calf to someone and he rode home in the back of a minivan.. loose...(Well, haltered by them).. I can imagine they had to clean a bit of the van up by the time they got home, they had a 200 mile drive a head of them.

IL Rancher":1qb1hid8 said:
I sold a calf to someone and he rode home in the back of a minivan.. loose...(Well, haltered by them).. I can imagine they had to clean a bit of the van up by the time they got home, they had a 200 mile drive a head of them.

Will the ignorance ever end ? Maybe when the devil needs a Carharrt.

IL Rancher":1xmhh967 said:

We hauled a couple of bottle calves and a pig lose in the back of a stationwagon. Used to haul the goats in the backseat of the car. I considered that just normal wasy of doing things.

dun

dun":2ufn0a3t said:
IL Rancher":2ufn0a3t said:

We hauled a couple of bottle calves and a pig lose in the back of a stationwagon. Used to haul the goats in the backseat of the car. I considered that just normal wasy of doing things.

dun

But Dun, I doubt you went 200 miles either. I'm just glad I didnt have to do the cleaning after.

Oh.. Iactually really liked this group. They were looking for a calf for their autistic son. They had had a holstein but of course, he got to big and they had to get rid of him so someone put them in contact with us because we had some Dexters. It was a pretty small calf, still young so it didn't take up a lot of room. You do things because sometimes you just have to do them that way.

I have seen some very, very inspired uses of old vehicles. A good welder and some iimagination probably could turn an old bus into a useful livestock truck. I wouldn't go that route personally but I can see a way of using the chasis and such for it... Old grain trucks have been used for some interesting things.. I would tend to use either the 16 foot bumper pull stock trailer we have or the 24 foot gooseneck personally.. Or, even forbid, use of of the dozens of short haul guys to do it for me... That being said, I have had more than one calf share the pickup cab with me in the middle of winter for a drive out of the pasture in the middle of a winter storm, lol..

Cow_Town":22pn4avk said:
dun":22pn4avk said:
IL Rancher":22pn4avk said:

dun

But Dun, I doubt you went 200 miles either. I'm just glad I didnt have to do the cleaning after.

True, but it seems like the woman with U-haul was talking a couple of hundred miles. She got pounded pretty good and I don;t think has been back. Even the short hour or so and it was an interesting assortment of matter in the back of the stationwagon. The car was no big deal, just sweep them out.

dun

When we wanted to get rid of a 2 or 3 day old Holstein bull calf, we'd tie an old burlap feed sack around it's back end and haul it to the sale barn in the trunk of the car. About 10 miles.

I will be hauling some pigs in two weeks in the back of a Cargo Trailer. Just unload the buffers and throw in some wood chips or straw.

We buy our show pigs last weekend of March and it is usually cold in the evening when we bring them home. I can not see hauling a 20ft stock trailer to haul 3 little baby pigs in. So the cargo works great.

For little pigs like that we have a cage that goes in the back of a pick up truck. Works well. Wife got it for hauling lambs to the butcher and stuff like that, works well for pigs too. Have used a stock trailer before for pigs but we had it set up to drop of a bull the same day not to far away from pig pickup.

We have a carrier that hooks up to the Super C tractor. We set the whole thing in the back of the pickup with a tarp over the top to pick up some bottle calves a few miles away.

Latest posts