Beginner's Darwin Award/ Not All People Should Own Cattle!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Crowderfarms

Reaction score
Had a person (not important what sex they are) stop in this afternoon with four real sick Holstein bull Calves. This person bought two tubs of Scours Meds. After being nosy about why they were buying so much,and knowing they only have a "pet" cow I got my answers.

Seems they bought 4 calves at the sale barn 2 weeks ago, and were told at 3 days they could/should be weaned.Calves started scouring real bad. Called a Vet and Vet told them not to bottle feed them anything except Scours 2 mix, instead of asking more questions of the Vet, they just kept feeding the Oxytet that is the main ingredient in the Meds. They finally showed up at our store today because the Calves are excreting water and Blood.Tried to sell them Milk replacer and they declined, totally against all the advice I volunteered to them in 20 minutes of conversation.Some people just don't get it. I told them if they dig one hole, be prepared to dig three more.

They are truly the recipients of the 2007 Darwin Award, Bovine Edition. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Crowderfarms":2v3tpo9q said:
Had a person (not important what sex they are) stop in this afternoon with four real sick Holstein bull Calves. This person bought two tubs of Scours Meds. After being nosy about why they were buying so much,and knowing they only have a "pet" cow I got my answers.

Seems they bought 4 calves at the sale barn 2 weeks ago, and were told at 3 days they could/should be weaned.Calves started scouring real bad. Called a Vet and Vet told them not to bottle feed them anything except Scours 2 mix, instead of asking more questions of the Vet, they just kept feeding the Oxytet that is the main ingredient in the Meds. They finally showed up at our store today because the Calves are excreting water and Blood.Tried to sell them Milk replacer and they declined, totally against all the advice I volunteered to them in 20 minutes of conversation.Some people just don't get it. I told them if they dig one hole, be prepared to dig three more.

They are truly the recipients of the 2007 Darwin Award, Bovine Edition. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm speechless...can ya' believe it? :shock:

Alice

Crowder,

You probably have gone and started a long list here. Several things come to mind as of late that are simply unbelievable.

Common sense should tell folks to look at normal diets of any critter or baby critter and try to emulate that.

ok, I've gotten my wits about me. Had I been standing at the counter at the same time the nitwit was, I'd have been anything but speechless. :mad:

Good GAWD!

Alice

backhoeboogie":1ce8ii3p said:
Crowder,

You probably have gone and started a long list here. Several things come to mind as of late that are simply unbelievable.

Common sense should tell folks to look at normal diets of any critter or baby critter and try to emulate that.

My entire point, is with some of the latest topics here on the beginner's board, folks need to ask more questions, get educated that not only that you are a Steward of an Animal's life, but also for the mere fact, you stand a better than good chance of flushing money down the crapper.In all the years in the business, this my friends has to get the esteemed, "Golden Coathanger Award"

i really wish that people like that understood that they are not made out to raise healthy animals. they could probably be charged with animal neglet if it was really bad.

"Are people getting Stupider"? :lol:

Reminds me of the guy down the road with no catchpen or facilities. He rode around in the pasture a whole day last year with a bottle of "Injectable" Ivomec and a syringe trying to squirt it on the backs of his cows. :lol:

Told me later he got all but one. Only had 3. :roll:

You should have called the Sheriff's office. Nitwit....... more like criminals!

I wouldn't care if they bought 3 calves took them home and shot them, atleast it would quick.

Abuse is a totally diffrent thing.

Stuff like that just burns me. I think about the lengths we've gone to try to save sick calves... then someone out of sheer stupidity makes a bunch of calves that sick!

Word cant describe how this p's me off. I want to take this individual and pump laxative down their throat for a few days and see what it does to them. When its all over string em' up.

Cow_Town":388m3cds said:
Word cant describe how this p's me off. I want to take this individual and pump laxative down their throat for a few days and see what it does to them. When its all over string em' up.

RUFF Animals Have Rights But People Are People Not Worth Killing Over An Animal

Dont Get Me Wrong I Dont Stand For Animal Abuse But I Dont Agree With People Abuse Either

backhoeboogie":m64v8x77 said:

The unfortunate thing about common sense is that it's so uncommon!

dun

dun":3kvpx66k said:
backhoeboogie":3kvpx66k said:

The unfortunate thing about common sense is that it's so uncommon!

dun

You are so right Dun. According to what they told Crowder, someone told them the calves could be weaned at 3 days. That person should be tarred and feathered. But, even if they employ no common sense, and listen to a fool's advice, it is inherently obvious that the calves are sick and suffering.

LonghornRanch":176wa08y said:
Abuse is a totally different thing.

I agree with this post. These people we're not only too dumb to own cattle but they are basically abusing them at this point. Makes me sick, the poor calves.

someone hit on it earleir...its not all those ppls fault...they put there trust in a person that they though knew how to take care of animals and were following what they were told...more blame goes on that person in my mind

medic_941":135g1k4z said:
someone hit on it earleir...its not all those ppls fault...they put there trust in a person that they though knew how to take care of animals and were following what they were told...more blame goes on that person in my mind

yes but they bought them at the sale barn. its kinda hard to control who gets them in that situation.

and cow town...thats too funny. i would just like to give them the lax's but not kill them...

I don't suppose there's any chance the person at the sale barn said 3 months instead of 3 days? I haven't been around sale barns that much, but would there be anyone that works there that misinformed/stupid/or possessing a sick sense of humor?

mom to 4":323g8fh6 said:
I don't suppose there's any chance the person at the sale barn said 3 months instead of 3 days? I haven't been around sale barns that much, but would there be anyone that works there that misinformed/stupid/or possessing a sick sense of humor?

I've lurked around the sale barns quite a bit. It seems to me that most folks there are in the know. Secondly, I doubt it was a bad joke. Most cattle people are excellent stewards and have compassion for animals.

They could have indeed misunderstood. However, (back to the common sense thing) who would not question that?

Calves that are taken away too young often become "doggied". It is inherently obvious when you see a doggied calf in the sale barn. A doggied calf is going to have a big grass belly on it.

Latest posts