Beggers Can't Be Choosers

Help Support CattleToday:

Northern Mo. is getting desperate. I have enough hay for my lessor to get by on feed, but water is the major issue.
We're siphoning water out of everything. Most of our ponds, or tanks as some call them, are no deeper than my armpits.
May have to sell the cows, if something doesn't happen soon. Absolutly no winter water. Hearing about 2k water bills for 100 head on city water. No way that works.
Goverment is giving welfare money, but doesn't help on monthly water bills. Currently ressurecting a well for water till the freeze comes.
Getting $64 an acre for winter grazing from FSA office. No tilling tritcitale, ceral rye, and radishes in grubbed off pastures. Seed is around 40-42 an acre. Have to pay someone with a no till drill, and still fertilize. Gonna' help, but not the answer.
In a position that if I sell cows, the taxes will eat me up. 50% or more. Usually they have a deferement where if you buy back in so many years, you won't owe the tax. Problem is, I am quitting. Dont want to buy cows in 3 or 4 years.
Oh well, I think I will go to my house in Florida, play golf every day, and forget about it. gs

A welcome relief for sure.

We got 1/2 inch today. A world of difference from the first of the month. Still no run off so ponds are still low. Grass is green and growing. Oats is up and looking good. A sigh of relief going into the fall.

It's been one of the driest years I can remember here. Pools were all lower than I've ever seen them. I left town last weekend and it rained 10 inches now the pools are full and it looks like the first week of spring. Maybe I need to take a weekend off more often.

TCRanch":29fwn6dw said:
TennesseeTuxedo":29fwn6dw said:
How is your lake holding up TC?
Definitely down below the spillway and the overflow is dry but better than the ponds, only because Silver Creek flows into it and literally 10 miles north has had a ton of rain. Mother Nature has a warped sense of humor.
Not anymore! 8" the last couple days. Can't even see the spillway, lake is actually darn close to breeching the emergency spillway & is 3/4 up the dam, trees under water. That's a 36" whistle but probably should be larger. "Normal" capacity of the lake is 155 million gallons - can't imagine what it is now.

7.7 inches since Sunday, 8 to 10 inches has been the report from a lot of people. I've heard of up to 16 inches in some places. North Canadian is out of it's banks.

TCRanch":3t0weeyw said:
Well, this is after a 2.75" downpour today. Presumably there will be at least a little runoff from the pasture but still . . . . It did, however, wash out most of our roads (but that's why we have a speed mover) and I swear the pastures already look better. Bonus - I won't have to water my predominately dead plants tomorrow :)

TC I'm showing my ignorance here. What's a speed mover?
A box blade? Land leveler? Motor grader?

JMJ Farms":1rlj1ij2 said:
TCRanch":1rlj1ij2 said:
Well, this is after a 2.75" downpour today. Presumably there will be at least a little runoff from the pasture but still . . . . It did, however, wash out most of our roads (but that's why we have a speed mover) and I swear the pastures already look better. Bonus - I won't have to water my predominately dead plants tomorrow :)

Essentially a big, weighted box blade, works on hydraulics and we hook it up to the tractor. We generally use crusher rock on the roads.

TCRanch":301p8ta3 said:
JMJ Farms":301p8ta3 said:
TCRanch":301p8ta3 said:

Essentially a big, weighted box blade, works on hydraulics and we hook it up to the tractor. We generally use crusher rock on the roads.

Got ya. That's what we commonly call a land leveler. Funny how terminology changes based on where you live. Around here, if you told someone to go get the shredder, they'd come back with a cheese shredder. Thanks for the reply.

It has rained over a very large area in this region. When I drove home Sunday evening it was wet from west central OK to extreme SW KS. In the end we received from 2.6" up to 5" over 3 days and in the west central OK area from 7-10" over those 3 days. Her land is scattered so why the variances. Some of the ponds needed water bad. Some of her wheat was just coming up and some was waiting for one. Hopefully we won't have to re drill any. Going to be lots of wheat pasture this winter. Many drilled early and some is almost ready to turn out on now. I'm hoping ours will be ready by Thanksgiving. So blessed by the rains.

Got about 1.5 inches the last couple of days, itll help with the grass, but our pond is still low, hope we get a little more the next few days.

Latest posts