Beggers Can't Be Choosers

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I'm standing in what's left of one of the ponds. We desperately need a gully washer with some serious runoff! We've been getting just enough rain to keep the pastures somewhat decent but our first cutting was pitiful; even baled junk prairie just to get by this winter. Got another inch last night & while Snow White is clearly happy & it did help the creeks (temporarily - it will soak in by this afternoon), it didn't do squat for the ponds.

Pastures are all but dead here. Making the cows at the farm survive on dry grass and liquid feed at the moment. Heifers at home have a little dry stuff left and I will have to put out hay soon. We got 2/10 last night and you couldn't have made a mud ball. Still have plenty of water tho.

TennesseeTuxedo":o6g3nff0 said:
How is your lake holding up TC?
Definitely down below the spillway and the overflow is dry but better than the ponds, only because Silver Creek flows into it and literally 10 miles north has had a ton of rain. Mother Nature has a warped sense of humor.

slick4591":259tvaxb said:
Pastures are all but dead here. Making the cows at the farm survive on dry grass and liquid feed at the moment. Heifers at home have a little dry stuff left and I will have to put out hay soon. We got 2/10 last night and you couldn't have made a mud ball. Still have plenty of water tho.
Are you injecting liquid feed into straw or junk bales? Guy south of us did that during the last drought.

TCRanch":2f5cmd0l said:
slick4591":2f5cmd0l said:
Are you injecting liquid feed into straw or junk bales? Guy south of us did that during the last drought.

Haven't tried that yet. It's free choice in the tank.

TCRanch":cptirat8 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":cptirat8 said:
How is your lake holding up TC?
Definitely down below the spillway and the overflow is dry but better than the ponds, only because Silver Creek flows into it and literally 10 miles north has had a ton of rain. Mother Nature has a warped sense of humor.

It's a beautiful lake, I'm glad it has a good feeder stream.

slick4591":26b8epgn said:
greybeard":26b8epgn said:
Got about 1/2 that much here Slick.

Spotty rains around here earlier and radar showed the farm got some, but not a drop at the house 7 miles away.
This is what I'm talking about! Winfield lake is maybe 7 miles away as the crow flies and they got 2" last night/this morning.

Well, this is after a 2.75" downpour today. Presumably there will be at least a little runoff from the pasture but still . . . . It did, however, wash out most of our roads (but that's why we have a speed mover) and I swear the pastures already look better. Bonus - I won't have to water my predominately dead plants tomorrow :)

We got 1.6 yesterday morning , and another inch today . And yes the grass already looks better ! Got my test back on some prairie that we bailed , and other than lower protein level , it wasn't bad , so sitting pretty high for the time being , and very thankful for this rain .

snoopdog":2zc0zgi3 said:
We got 1.6 yesterday morning , and another inch today . And yes the grass already looks better ! Got my test back on some prairie that we bailed , and other than lower protein level , it wasn't bad , so sitting pretty high for the time being , and very thankful for this rain .
Haven't tested our brome/Bermuda/prairie this year. Kinda don't want to know! But always supplement with 30% protein tubs & 20% cubes (they call them range nuggets) so they're not gonna starve. Yay on the rain!

TCRanch":21n1pi9k said:
snoopdog":21n1pi9k said:
Haven't tested our brome/Bermuda/prairie this year. Kinda don't want to know! But always supplement with 30% protein tubs & 20% cubes (they call them range nuggets) so they're not gonna starve. Yay on the rain!
Yeah , we use 20% cubes to gather em in and get a good look at everyone. We have better hay , but we needed the filler too. Especially after last year .

slick4591":19xqg4am said:

I finally had a cell pass over the house. With the non-forecast event got about ¾", just enough to puff up the cracks somewhat. What's funny was the way it came in, the hay patch was wet about an inch or so down so I'll get some good out of it.

Wasted the second cutting, couldn't even get the baler hold it long enough to get it wrapped. Third may do something if Aug is wet...which happened the year I built my house....rained 3 x before I got it weathered in, in August, 1979. We need a hurricane.

I'd rather stay dry than to wish a hurricane on the folks down south. How about we ask for a tropical depression that rides it out this far?

Latest posts