Plants can't figure it out

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
I mowed hay yesterday and noticed some peculiar things. Saw a thistle in bloom, curly dock is setting seed, fescue and OG is headed out, clover is shedding seed, yarrow is in bloom and woods violets are blooming. That cover pretty much february through july all at the same time.

It's a mess. I don't remember fescu me ever heading out this early here but maybe I'm wrong. We had 40's last night and highs of 65 today. Saturday high of 82. I'm ready for it to stabilize so the grass will know what to do again.

jallen":3nmsh69h said:
It's a mess. I don't remember fescu me ever heading out this early here but maybe I'm wrong. We had 40's last night and highs of 65 today. Saturday high of 82. I'm ready for it to stabilize so the grass will know what to do again.
We used to cut the fescue in june, then late may. This year we're cutting it already.

I'm looking at cutting a couple fields of hay in 2 weeks I think.. I can't go over it with irrigation again or it'll lodge.. Ususally June is haying month

I train on a big cattle farm here in north Alabama. His fields that haven't had calves on them in a couple months are over knee high with fescue headed out. The grass underneath is 8-10 inches at best in most places.

jallen":1b0hm21p said:
I train on a big cattle farm here in north Alabama. His fields that haven't had calves on them in a couple months are over knee high with fescue headed out. The grass underneath is 8-10 inches at best in most places.
Our grass is about 4 inches. No moisture ans early 80 degree temps will do it every time

All my hay feilds are headed out ready to be mowed but now we have been getting rain and there calling for it for the next 10 days. If it doesn't clear up and we can't mow for another 3 weeks the hay will be to mature and there want be much of it because of the dry start to spring we had.

dun":1jiujipd said:
jallen":1jiujipd said:
We used to cut the fescue in june, then late may. This year we're cutting it already.
This is the earliest that I can recall Fescue heading out like it did... I started cutting some fields today as well (as far as I can tell, I'm the first in my area).

My uncle custom bales. I asked him the other day about it, and he agreed, it's a little early. I'm thinking quite a bit early, as best I can recall it was late May before it generally heads much - fescue. I was inquiring about some hay, as I hadn't planned on baling any, didn't fertilize, and I"m wondering about this years crop being short. I've got some old hay, but wanted a few bales of newer hay to go along with it just in case I found a few cows to add. He said he thought that once it headed, with the proper weather, that it would take off again?

talltimber":2vxfo2cu said:
My uncle custom bales. I asked him the other day about it, and he agreed, it's a little early. I'm thinking quite a bit early, as best I can recall it was late May before it generally heads much - fescue. I was inquiring about some hay, as I hadn't planned on baling any, didn't fertilize, and I"m wondering about this years crop being short. I've got some old hay, but wanted a few bales of newer hay to go along with it just in case I found a few cows to add. He said he thought that once it headed, with the proper weather, that it would take off again?

That is the trick isn't it.....