Beet Pulp??

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy13":2yaweygf said:
I feed it dry, it wet does nothing.
Son, You have to have it wet to swell. If it is already wet going in it has already done it's swelling and won't swell anymore. Fed dry it will get wet in the animals gut and swell up.

The bull Im talking about is really small for his age. Probably almost a foot too short. That doesnt matter to me, not like he will be used for breeding. I only keep him because I love to show and he is the only thing I got.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":2lkwxg2o said:
The bull Im talking about is really small for his age. Probably almost a foot too short. That doesnt matter to me, not like he will be used for breeding. I only keep him because I love to show and he is the only thing I got.
Yup. He sure is small for his age. Sell him and buy a younger calf that you can show next year. If you are going to show an animal, show something that you can be proud of, not something that will make you the laughing stock of any show that you are showing at. Several on this board has much better quality animals that you can buy fairly reasonable and could be proud of too.

You can add it to the ration at any time. I know of people that start feeding it 30 days or closer to a show, trying to get the flank are to fill out. I also know people that only feed it at shows. Feed it dry as suggested.. the idea is that when it gets into the gut, it will expand.

Ok, I have another line of thought for this thread. AAOK, you say that beet pulp is mostly sugar or carbs. Have you ever heard of feeding potatoes to animals to increase their appetite. We tried this with a steer last year & it worked, but it drives me crazy because I don't understand why it worked. I tried to relate it to eating a lot of carbs or sugar myself - like if I eat donuts for breakfast I get hungry faster than if I eat something with more protein. So is it possible that beet pulp keeps appetite up because of the carb content?

Also, on the longhorn calves - if you have a way to separate them while they eat try feeding one beet pulp and just regular feed for another if you have a couple that are the same size & see if you can tell a difference.

cattlemom":1gd0grkj said:
Have you ever heard of feeding potatoes to animals to increase their appetite. We tried this with a steer last year & it worked, but it drives me crazy because I don't understand why it worked.

I would imagine a lot of the reason that it works is because any type of complex carbohydrate food (potatoes, pasta, etc.) requires more calories be burned by the body in order to digest that food than the food actually contains. Burning calories tends to increase the appetite to replenish.

This must get posted once a month about pulp. You feed how ever much you want but most of the time Small calves should get at least a scoop of pulp and a bred heifer should get close to 2. I feed all my heifers that are going to have calves within 2-3 months 2 1/2 scoops of pulp and dont feed as much feed to her. I love beat pulp I use it on everything and everyday.

Well I think I have decided to wait until after the Ft. Worth Stock Show to try some beet pulp on a few head, don't really want to experiment right before one of our biggest shows of the year.. I am going to try it on some different ages, male and female. I will also keep some off of the product, that way I will have something to compare to. I will take pictures before, during and after this little experiment, and keep yall updated.

Thanks for all the help and input from everyone.

Ryan

Ryan, I would feed the pulp immediately. It will not hurt them at all. Cattle love the taste, and it increases their appetite.
I go against the norm on this board. I wet the beet pulp - but just barely & feed it immediately. It will only swell a lot based on the amount of water it will obsorb. So, when they eat the barely wet beet pulp, it has plenty of swelling left in their gut.
I feed a stress powder (lactobaccillis type) and I use the slightly wet beet pulp from letting the powder seperate.
I feed according to the size of the animal, but I would just keep increasing until it affects the amount of their regular grain intake.
Yearling would get about one 3# coffee can full prior to water.

for oru shows we usualkly only feed them wet beat pulp that has been soaking for a while we give it to them about 20 minutes before they go into the ring and we mmake it buy putting it in bins and you just have to put water in it until it is about to cover the top of it them u add a bit more as your are mixing it

Latest posts