Feeding beet pulp?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Daughter showed in her first large show yesterday with a young heifer and some one suggested feeding beet pulp to her. Should it be feed all the time or only for a period before a show? Add it to their normal feed ration or cut back on feed some when using it? Thanks for any suggestions.

Tom , when people are advising you to feed beet pulp your heifer probably doesn't have enough volume. Feeding beet pulp will only cover up the problem. Breeding/buying cattle with more middle is alot easier. To answer the question put it in her feed ration so you can get more volume of feed in her and stretch her gut. Feed it all the time and keep stretching her till she is bigger volumed.

ollie":2xw6qcs4 said:
Tom , when people are advising you to feed beet pulp your heifer probably doesn't have enough volume. Feeding beet pulp will only cover up the problem. Breeding/buying cattle with more middle is alot easier. To answer the question put it in her feed ration so you can get more volume of feed in her and stretch her gut. Feed it all the time and keep stretching her till she is bigger volumed.

Exactly, it swells the gut area. Some feed it dry, some get it wet and let it rehydrate. You feed to much, and the back of your cow will look like Ollies icon!... :shock: :D

I feed the hell out beat pulp. A week before the show that is free choice for my show cattle. That blows there belly's up and make them drink.

tom4018":u9h9v380 said:
Daughter showed in her first large show yesterday with a young heifer and some one suggested feeding beet pulp to her. Should it be feed all the time or only for a period before a show? Add it to their normal feed ration or cut back on feed some when using it? Thanks for any suggestions.

Add it to her normal feed ration, don't cut her feed back. We feed 1 1/2 scoopps dry with each feeding. This will also help keep their gut going because its fiber.

I like to feed it wet. That way I don't have to watch the water intake so close. I'm just lazy I guess.

tom4018":16ne026w said:

Was this suggested because she needs more gut and spring of rib? or because she was looking sunk in?

We use a scoop or two, depending on the animal, at each feeding and then at the shows we will increase the pulp so that they are filled out completly when it's time for them to go in the show ring. We show short hair animals so we don't have all that false advertisment going for us with the hair. What you see is what you get.

cul8r":1pj8d535 said:
Was this suggested because she needs more gut and spring of rib? or because she was looking sunk in?

They thought she looked sunk in. She is a young calf (400lb.)because she just started showing and started small with some she could handle.

tom4018":2s9jcpfw said:
cul8r":2s9jcpfw said:

They thought she looked sunk in. She is a young calf (400lb.)because she just started showing and started small with some she could handle.

Alot of new calves when they go to their first couple of shows, don't eat or drink, nervous and too much going on around them. It helps them to get use to it by just taking them to shows and tying them up, or another way we have done it is, put them in the trailer and go park in the parking lot of Walmart for an hour or two with all the people walking back and forth around them. (Not in the hot part of the day, early in the morning or late in the evening).

We had one a few years back that we had to haul water from the house for her to drink at the shows. But, if you get them use to eating the beet pulp in with their feed, then when they drink water they will fill out. We have found that they eat the beet pulp with the molasses in it alot better then just the plain beet pulp.

I would suggest a scoop of the dry in the feed at each feeding.

Good luck to you and your daughter.

cul8r":29l4cgt5 said:
There are too many different sizes of scoops out there to just flat say feed her a scoop. You talking a 4 lb scoop or a 1 1.2 lb scoop, what? Be a little more specific for the guy.

certherfbeef":3j7xrrya said:
cul8r":3j7xrrya said:
There are too many different sizes of scoops out there to just flat say feed her a scoop. You talking a 4 lb scoop or a 1 1.2 lb scoop, what? Be a little more specific for the guy.

It would be the same size scoop that he is feeding with. If he feeds 4 scoops of feed, then he would add a scoop of beet pulp. If he feeds by the coffee can, then add 1 coffee can of beet pulp. Common sense. At least I suggested an amount for him to feed.

I get a full bag put it in a large troth damp it and between 5 calves they eat it free choice for 7 days. Blows them up and they drink drink and drink and the day before the show I give them sorgum and every day at the show they get sorgum. Makes them look full and drink alot. Beet pulp is $11.55 a sack down here.

SCfarms":2i9ytefk said:
I get a full bag put it in a large troth damp it and between 5 calves they eat it free choice for 7 days. Blows them up and they drink drink and drink and the day before the show I give them sorgum and every day at the show they get sorgum. Makes them look full and drink alot. Beet pulp is $11.55 a sack down here.
Stephen, I have showed a calf or two. I have never changed my feed ration the day before the show. Can you explain why you do?

Trust me they dont waste any time when I put that out between the 3 I have now I dont give them a full bag just half because there are only 3 and they eat it. Works for me whe nI get to the shows it makes them look full all the time.