Beet pulp

Help Support CattleToday:

I like to feed beet pulp wet. I have never really noticed a difference between feeding it wet or dry but they seem to like it better wet. I guess how essential to the heifer depends on the heifer. If you have a flat sided heifer she should probably get some and maybe even a little alfalfa. But its all up to what you think she needs.

we feed it dry, the diffrence is.........you don't have to prepair it ahead of time, you don't risk feeding sour pulp to the animal, and our cattle like it better dry. We feed one coffee can full to each animal twice daily (one lb. coffee can). Start them off with a quarter of the can first and work your way up to a full can by the end of two weeks. We also feed all the animals seperate so we can monitor their feed intake. If you free feed your animals its not a good idea to let them free feed on beet pulp. They can eat to much and bloat, and that would be horable.
Good luck :D

Most efficient for us has been to feed dry during most times. Just a lot easier. However on show day we do wet. This helps us to fill them up correctly and gives heifers that pretty spring of rib that everyone wants. A fill from beet pulp stays a bit higher on the body than water alone. You do need to get them use to it both ways. I have always been a big believer in beet pulp for obvious reasons. Plus our breed does not allow pumping of any kind at a show.