Beet pulp

Help Support CattleToday:

Dee

Reaction score
When I first got my show heifer I inquired with my feed dealer about beet pulp, he said "it has no nutritional value really, it is just to tighten the rib." What does "tighten the rib" mean? Do you feed it all the time, or just before shows? How much per day? I have a neighbor that has 2 silage bags of beet tailings, is that about the same? Right now she is getting sweet mix, oats, and a little bakers bran with show bloom. Along with free choice hay/alfalfa mix.

Dee":1k8ut7jz said:
When I first got my show heifer I inquired with my feed dealer about beet pulp, he said "it has no nutritional value really, it is just to tighten the rib." What does "tighten the rib" mean? Do you feed it all the time, or just before shows? How much per day? I have a neighbor that has 2 silage bags of beet tailings, is that about the same? Right now she is getting sweet mix, oats, and a little bakers bran with show bloom. Along with free choice hay/alfalfa mix.

He is right it has no added nutricianal value. It helps expand the rib and drop the flank in a calf. We feed it twice a day dry in their feed. It will expand when it gewt wet. I'm not sure what beet tailing are (never seen them) but beet pulp looks like dry cardboard shreds.

I would feed your heifer as much as possible from 2-3 hours before the show than stop feedeing. Even though it does not have any nutritional value it still fills the heifers out before the show.

Double A Ranch":2o8l9wje said:
I have never heard fo this. do you feed it to sjust heifers or steers to? Where can you buy it?

You feed it to both and can buy it at any feed store.

Sonya McPherson":3ecqq3qv said:
Double A Ranch":3ecqq3qv said:
Thank you. How much or does the bag have instructions?

Feed the qual amounts of feed and beet pulp.

We don't feed that mush beet pult. We only feed about 4 puond of dry beet pulp twice a day.

Sonya McPherson":prl78e3w said:
Double A Ranch":prl78e3w said:
Thank you. How much or does the bag have instructions?

Feed the qual amounts of feed and beet pulp.

We feed one scoop of beet pulp with 4 scoops of feed.

We increase beet pulp at times when you can see a lot of feed coming out the back end in the manure. Then they need a little more help to digest the feed. Also increase it when we are hauling, it helps to keep them from getting the runs.

Never heard of it helping the runs but will give it a try. We feed it everyday i have heard it works and seems everyone does it. As for me we have fed it the past two years and i really cant tell that it does anything. Right now one hefier and two steers are eating it everyday and two steers are not. Who knows i cant tell our two have filled out anymore in the flanks or ribs than the others. BUT its cheap if it can help ill feed it. We are feeding 6 pounds a day per head.
It does do great when you are holding or drawing a calf gives them something to eat that wont add weight.

RockenG":ncru2e79 said:
Never heard of it helping the runs but will give it a try. We feed it everyday i have heard it works and seems everyone does it. As for me we have fed it the past two years and i really cant tell that it does anything. Right now one hefier and two steers are eating it everyday and two steers are not. Who knows i cant tell our two have filled out anymore in the flanks or ribs than the others. BUT its cheap if it can help ill feed it. We are feeding 6 pounds a day per head.
It does do great when you are holding or drawing a calf gives them something to eat that wont add weight.

I've been sitting back reading these posts, all but one I pretty much agree with, but you just mentioned the thing I don't like about feeding beet pulp every day. It takes up too much room! To push the way you normally have to feed a show calf, the calf needs all the nutritionally equiped feed that you can get them to eat. Too much beet pulp in the daily ration will cause a calf to consume less of the "good stuff". If your show calf's genotype and phenotype are in the "show calf" category, and your feed program is correct, your calves won't require any extra fill. My 2 cents.

I know cows are different from horses, but...I'd be really uncomfortable feeding dried beet pulp. I have a neighbor whose mare is on beet pulp and she is extremely careful about feeding the beet pulp. It swells to about 5x its original size when soaked in water; she always soaks it overnight and then feeds it at the next feeding. It's just too dangerous to do otherwise since it swells like that and can cause blockages or colic...at least in horses.

Latest posts