bees

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
Yesterday I went to the farm to repair a fence between me and the town folks. The dead tree was on their Property. I was on the loader and picked the tree up to place back on their side of the fence. Insects boiled out of the butt of the tree. Bailed off of the tractor with them after me. Went there this morning with the wasp hornet spray bombs. The insects were bees but not like any I have ever seen. They were about 3/8 of an inch long. I did get stung but no stingers like a honey bee will leave. Does any one have a clue as what kind of these bees are.

hurleyjd":1c36klyp said:
Yesterday I went to the farm to repair a fence between me and the town folks. The dead tree was on their Property. I was on the loader and picked the tree up to place back on their side of the fence. Insects boiled out of the butt of the tree. Bailed off of the tractor with them after me. Went there this morning with the wasp hornet spray bombs. The insects were bees but not like any I have ever seen. They were about 3/8 of an inch long. I did get stung but no stingers like a honey bee will leave. Does any one have a clue as what kind of these bees are.

Do me a favor go out there with a insect net get one good scoop place in a jar take a pic and show me then I think I will be able to tell you what kind of bee it was :lol2: Please video the whole thing and you tube it. Seriously not sure we have some strange looking bees here but they are like a inch and a half long.

skyhightree1":2jacxejq said:
hurleyjd":2jacxejq said:

Do me a favor go out there with a insect net get one good scoop place in a jar take a pic and show me then I think I will be able to tell you what kind of bee it was :lol2: Please video the whole thing and you tube it. Seriously not sure we have some strange looking bees here but they are like a inch and a half long.

Come here and help me will hold the jar while you scoop them up in the net.

skyhightree1":1fasm6bu said:
Seriously not sure we have some strange looking bees here but they are like a inch and a half long.

If you're talking about those huge yellow ones, that look like Yellowjackets on steroids, big bomber things.......those are Bell Hornets/"horse hornets"/Cicada Killers. Those suckers have one of the most painful stings in the hornet/bee family.

I had one in the house one time, I ran out the door and took the dog with me. :lol2:

hurleyjd":13q8pe0z said:
skyhightree1":13q8pe0z said:
hurleyjd":13q8pe0z said:

Come here and help me will hold the jar while you scoop them up in the net.

Pass

Workinonit Farm":13q8pe0z said:
skyhightree1":13q8pe0z said:
Seriously not sure we have some strange looking bees here but they are like a inch and a half long.

If you're talking about those huge yellow ones, that look like Yellowjackets on steroids, big bomber things.......those are Bell Hornets/"horse hornets"/Cicada Killers. Those suckers have one of the most painful stings in the hornet/bee family.

Workin those are the ones they used to follow and hover around my cattles stomachs till i started spraying them with fly spray. I never got stung by one but as big as those suckers are I don't want to either. I never knew the name of them. If you like come help yourself to mine to take them back to your place. :mrgreen:
I had one in the house one time, I ran out the door and took the dog with me. :lol2:

Are they still yellow and black (or similar?) We have small leafcutter bees here, but they don't have hives, they cut leaves (sweet clover is their favorite), and plug every hole they can find with it.. The especially like the ground pin hole in electrical receptacles, pieces of 1/4" hose, and stuff like that. they can sting, and you do know you got stung, but it's not bad. Perhaps they are a relative? the size is right.

I have seen one "Horse guardian" hornet here, it was under the irrigation and wet and cold, I picked it up and let it dry off, got some pictures,.. d*mn that thing was big, it could reach all the way around my thumb.. I put it on top of a fence post and was able to see it from about 150 feet away. we have probably about 30-50 different species of wasps and bees around here, most of them we like, but we hate the yellow jackets that are always around your food, and are always pesky. Most of the types we have are spider wasps, and we got all sorts, the smallest I've seen was about 1/8" long, all the way up to about 1 1/2"... the biggest type we have loves onion and mint flowers, is fearsome looking, and I certainly wouldn't want to pizz one of them off, but they really keep to themselves, just sucking nectar from flowers. As for bees, a bit less in variety, but some stunningly beautiful ones, mostly solitary, but we have one type that is a *bright* metallic blue, and another an equally bright metallic green.. I'd like to know more about them to be able to provide habitat for them

Edit.. Yellowjackets are actually useful around cattle, *usually*. They will catch and eat flies, however, if the flies have made sore spots on the cows, they'll go there too sometimes. Last year we had an infestation of little tiny hunchback flies that were on the cattle by the thousands, and bit like a SOB... It was the yellowjackets that cleaned them up.

Look up cuckoo bumble bee and see if thats it. They don'd have barbs on stingers like a honey bee so they can just keep stinging you. They are about the size you are saying too. Don't know if you have them there though but it sounds like them or one of their cousins.

Latest posts