Carpenter Bees

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
carpenter-bee-bumble-bee.jpg

Any suggestions on how to get rid of carpenter bees? I've had the barns sprayed twice. It did knock out some, maybe a lot, but I still have way more than I want.

They have drilled a lot of holes in my old wood barns. I'd like for the barns to last another 30 years. After that I'll be in Cabo, but that is another story.

One of my simplest pleasures right now is going out to the barn to swat the carpenter bees with a badminton racket. The sound they make when I get a solid hit, and it's often, is a reward all itself. It is especially satisfying when they bounce on the concrete floor or the tin wall.. They are tough,, sometimes I have to squash them with my foot.

I think I could find something else to do that is at least as fun as swatting the bees with my racket.

Shooting them with snake shot - bird shot is fun also. The woodpeckers tearing the wood up eating the bees is worse than the bees themselves.

True Grit Farms":1dm3kswq said:
Shooting them with snake shot - bird shot is fun also. The woodpeckers tearing the wood up eating the bees is worse than the bees themselves.
Maybe that is how I got all those holes in my tin roof..

M-5":172wh23i said:
Google bee traps, easy to make and they work
I looked at them. They seemed pretty hokey. The idea they'd choose the trap over the 18,000 holes they have seemed too far fetched.

Check with your local chemical dealer. Ask for Tempo SC. Around $55 for a bottle. I mix one bottle to 25 gallons in an ATV tank. Spray my barn and my house. Works wonders.

PS. Don't spray your cricket box. It has a very good residual.

Hate them! I have one of those bug zappers that looks like a tennis racket - it's my guilty, somewhat sadistic pleasure. I believe there is an old thread about carpenter bees (maybe referred to as wood bees); someone made their own trap & evidently it worked great but the key is to catch a female - although I have no clue how you would tell the difference.

TCRanch":1c4d4q4g said:
Hate them! I have one of those bug zappers that looks like a tennis racket - it's my guilty, somewhat sadistic pleasure. I believe there is an old thread about carpenter bees (maybe referred to as wood bees); someone made their own trap & evidently it worked great but the key is to catch a female - although I have no clue how you would tell the difference.
If it has a telephone stuck in its ear its a female. A beer in its hand it's a male

M-5":1a7mbssv said:
The traps work. 18000 holes is a lot to caulk up. Yall don't have dirt daubers????? them little basterds around here will evict the bee and pack mud in hole over night.
Seems the dirt daubers far and away prefer screwing up my equipment than they do messing with the wood bee holes

dun":2nlu4y1u said:
M-5":2nlu4y1u said:
The traps work. 18000 holes is a lot to caulk up. Yall don't have dirt daubers????? them little basterds around here will evict the bee and pack mud in hole over night.
Seems the dirt daubers far and away prefer screwing up my equipment than they do messing with the wood bee holes

the regular grey mud kind will do that too but the ones that prefer the bee holes are the ones that pack it with white stuff , I do not know what kind they are but the will fill any hole they find. It does not matter if its a bolt hole or bee hole they will cap it off.

M-5":18t4j7a4 said:
I'll give 'em a try..

We have an abundance of dirt daubers. Didn't know they were helping me. They put a dirt clod nest on everything.

HDRider":1d9w1c4q said:
carpenter-bee-bumble-bee.jpg

Any suggestions on how to get rid of carpenter bees? I've had the barns sprayed twice. It did knock out some, maybe a lot, but I still have way more than I want.

They have drilled a lot of holes in my old wood barns. I'd like for the barns to last another 30 years. After that I'll be in Cabo, but that is another story.

One of my simplest pleasures right now is going out to the barn to swat the carpenter bees with a badminton racket. The sound they make when I get a solid hit, and it's often, is a reward all itself. It is especially satisfying when they bounce on the concrete floor or the tin wall.. They are tough,, sometimes I have to squash them with my foot.

I think I could find something else to do that is at least as fun as swatting the bees with my racket.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=84274&p=1022920&hilit=carpenter#p1022920

HDRider":183waxty said:
M-5":183waxty said:
Google bee traps, easy to make and they work
I looked at them. They seemed pretty hokey. The idea they'd choose the trap over the 18,000 holes they have seemed too far fetched.

You need to bait the trap. Kill a female and place in the container and it will fill with others.

This is all I use and works well. I put the female inside the trap and now the trap is filled all the way to the first line and more are trapped each week.

M-5":3rt0cc2r said:

No kidding, I can lay an air tool down only to come back to it in a few minutes and they clogged the fitting. Maybe not that fast but it seems like it.

LRTX1":b7x1rofx said:
M-5":b7x1rofx said:

No kidding, I can lay an air tool down only to come back to it in a few minutes and they clogged the fitting. Maybe not that fast but it seems like it.
Yeah, sometimes seems like it happens between trigger pulls

the traps do work got one or so on my place only i use two liter pop jug !holds more dont get in hurry to open them they may not move ,but as soon as you shake em a little unscrewing the botle is not a good time to find out there not all dead !

JMJ Farms":1mytmm1p said:
Check with your local chemical dealer. Ask for Tempo SC. Around $55 for a bottle. I mix one bottle to 25 gallons in an ATV tank. Spray my barn and my house. Works wonders.

PS. Don't spray your cricket box. It has a very good residual.

Works on dirt daubers too. And spiders, and wasps, and roaches, and the list goes on. Try it. I promise you won't believe the results. Spray in April and October.

dun":yl50y7jm said:
TCRanch":yl50y7jm said:
If it has a telephone stuck in its ear its a female. A beer in its hand it's a male

Makes perfect sense :lol:

Latest posts