Bees Bees and More bees

Help Support CattleToday:

rockridgecattle

Reaction score
So last year we took amazingly heavy losses which set us on our backsides. This year the loss rate is less than 5% which is amazing...still not out of the woods yet. But the kicker in this is the bees are a month ahead of schedule. This is good, but can also cost us if it gets cold. And as we in Canada and the northern States know, March can turn on a dime...so praying and praying hard.
These pics were taken last week. Knee deep in snow and the bees were pouring out. It was a crazy warm day.

Now the bulk feeders are out, pics to follow and they are taking in the pollen supplement like it is going out of style...WILD.
We delayed calving for two weeks because of how volitile early March is. Now hubby will be on his own except for emergencys while i tend to the bees which are a month early...Amazing. Hubby gave me a couple of hours to help feed. Them 5 gall buckets of syrup weigh 70 lb and we put out almost 150 gallons of bulk feed out. Should keep them busy for a week or so.
These pics are from one yard. Last year this yard had no life in it when we went to do our spring work. What a difference a year makes..my heart is happy
Hope you like the pics
IMG_0016-1.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0015-1.jpg

IMG_0004-1.jpg

Amazing photos. And I hope you know you just killed yet another myth I was told about cold weather and bees. :lol2:

I thought they wouldn't fly in temps less than 50f ??
I hope the weather hold for you. Should be a banner year for production if it holds

It was 8C which is about 46F. As you can see the bales create quite a wind break and help to hold in the temps. It was warmer in the bee yard.
Here bees will fly when it is below freezing if the sun is out and there is no wind. I have seen -5C with bees flying. That said, it is only a few, some make it back and some do not. The bales make it like a micro climate in the yards.

We had honey bees show up on unusually warm feb/early march days. They went after the cattle feed. A bee keeper told us how to put out feed for them, we just couldn't let them go hungry and were afraid they would starve. Some were gluttons and died overnight from cold and not going back home. Anyway, good pics, are the bales surrounding the hives?
Valerie

I am glad to hear about the bees. We need them. My pear trees are in full bloom in SW WI a full month ahead of normal.

Jim

Latest posts