Been Thinking

Help Support CattleToday:

bufordall

Reaction score
I know it scared me to. I have been looking at a herd of Brangus heifers. What do you guys think of using a Murray Gray bull. These would be terminal calves, and I really like the thickness and length the MG's I have seen. Or would a Balancer bull be better.

I believe that the Balancer probably would be best, do not want to have too much continetal in the mix. With the Balancer I would get a 50% angus 25% Brahma and 25% continetal. I believe that cross should work in any feeding program.

major1241.jpg

How about a Murray Grey bull about like this one. He had
a 20 inch ribeye....his calves (chocolate colored if they
had a black dam) really made good beef.

You won't get as much heterosis with the Balancer because there'll be Angus on both the sire and dam side, but still not a bad idea. Everything else mentioned so far would work good, too, IMO. Also, Hereford on Brangus seems to be popular with a lot of folks. Good luck.

bufordall":2ati2inb said:
I have been looking at a herd of Brangus heifers. What do you guys think of using a Murray Gray bull.

That is exactly where I intend to go once I get my herd built up. Everything produced will indeed be terminal. I've been weighing the pro and con opinions for months now. If it doesn't work, I can always go back with something else.

Latest posts