What I've been breeding towards

Help Support CattleToday:

The thing with these paticular girls,they came here when I was nearly bed ridden with this kidney failure..and they didn't get the treatment I normally give my replacements ..they ain't missed a beat.stayed in good shape through they're first calf episode and kept rolling..

She does look efficient. Lovely background there with the flats rising abruptly to the hills. Those buildings in the background are they yours?

Ken

wbvs58 said:
She does look efficient. Lovely background there with the flats rising abruptly to the hills. Those buildings in the background are they yours?

Ken
Those building do belong to this property..but this place I have leased ..it adjoins our farm..I don't use those buildings though .I could and have in a pinch ..but wouldn't want too,someone could be in and out of there before you knew it..you'd have to stand guard over it..but we check it daily..where the cow is standing will be up to her shoulder in flood water probably atleast 3 times this year..

People can talk all day about it being cheaper to buy them but there is nothing like the feeling of making your replacement cows and getting them how you want them. Once you get in a rhythm where you know you have x amount coming in and x amount going out it's a good feeling. Not having to hunt up cattle or worry about where your going to get screwed next is worth every penny.

He was Occ unlimited belonged too Tim Ohlde but was leased out too the man I bought him from..awesome Bulls ,him a couple others he had leased..

Long time admirer of Ohlde's program and cattle. Hands down the best Angus bull I've ever owned was an Ohlde. That's saying something as I've had a bunch of well bred high performing Angus herd bulls over the years.

Brute 23 said:
People can talk all day about it being cheaper to buy them but there is nothing like the feeling of making your replacement cows and getting them how you want them. Once you get in a rhythm where you know you have x amount coming in and x amount going out it's a good feeling. Not having to hunt up cattle or worry about where your going to get screwed next is worth every penny.

On this we will agree to disagree grasshopper.

I can't raise them like this for 1200 bucks.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PfSk2RMB65w

Caustic Burno said:
Brute 23 said:

On this we will agree to disagree grasshopper.

I can't raise them like this for 1200 bucks.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PfSk2RMB65w

Those cattle will melt like an ice cream cone. They push that feed they sell down their throats.

I've actually seen heifers I culled and sold at the auction barn pop up on there all butter ball fat.

Yea right melted to 1400+ lbs.
It's just not what you want to do so it's wrong. J&J is just one example Crockett regularly has replacement sales cheaper than you can raise one.
Tax wise I am way ahead on the bought heifer.

Caustic Burno said:
Yea right melted to 1400+ lbs.
It's just not what you want to do so it's wrong. J&J is just one example Crockett regularly has replacement sales cheaper than you can raise one.
Tax wise I am way ahead on the bought heifer.

I'm speaking from actual experience with J&J cattle. I play around and chase women not far from their operation. My understanding is they raise a lot of cattle but also buy and flip a lot. Like any thing else it will be a crap shoot.

The heifers of ours they ended up with did not need to be made fat like that. They were good and fleshy when I hauled them and were going to be fine mommas.

We retain and buy cattle. I go with the best bang for the buck. If I find a great buy that are better than we have in the pen I sell ours and turn out the bought ones. If we raised better ones than I can buy we turned out the retained heifers. As I have said before every ones operation is different so there is not a one size fits all statement that will apply to every one. Hell, the prices year to year can effect which is the better route.

I've asked for the math on those tax statements before and never got a straight answer. When ever any one would like to break it down for me I'm all ears.

You might have had a bad experience with J&J they have a very successful business model.
They are not the only one packaging replacements.
Everyone is turning a profit on those replacements cept the fellow raising them.
It's real simple Brute if that raised heifer drops dead there is no write off in her but the inputs.
The purchased heifer you can write off her cost along with her inputs.
The bought heifer has depreciation value the retained zilch,zero, nada.

Latest posts