Been thinking about something...

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
The other day we butchered a cow and had it hanging in the barnyard when a fella dropped by. Turns out he was a professor and wanted to watch what we were doing and he got to talking. From this conversation I learned he was pretty adamant about global warming and was also a semi-vegetarian and his daugter was a vegetarian and his son a vegan. Wasn't sure if I needed to give him my condolances or not till I later googled and learned what a vegan was.... Well this got me to thinking. What do you have to do to become a true vegan? Is there a book on it or something? I mean how are you graded. I know there are lively debates over who are real ranchers and who are hobbyists so I'm sure there is equal debate over who is a bigger vegetarian. Do you reckon the true vegans snub their noses at those wanta be vegetarians while smiteing the pseudo-vegeamites? I mean if I wanted to become a vegan what would I have to do? Think there is a book out there like Veganism for Dummies? I understand a true vegan even refuses to use anything manufactured from animals - including insects. So I assume this would mean I'd have to toss my silk Scooby Doo jammies. And that silk teddy she ..... well .... reckon I'd better spend more time thinking about just plain old vegetarianism. What cha think?

How boring a life do you have to have before you turn to researching each and every parcel of clothing and food that you may come into contact with? I can't even imagine what would happen if I showed up for holiday a dinner at my moms and told her I couldn't eat her cooking.

I'll bet that was an interesting conversation. Hope he's not going now around now telling everyone about this awful farmer who killed a poor sweet cow and had her hanging in plain sight waiting to be hacked up and so on and so on......

Did he seem like he was really listening the the answers to his questions and taking in information, or was his mind already made up?

I believe that the vegans are a bit "greener than thou" because the few I have met were very quick to correct anyone who calls them vegetarian.

I like to ask the Vegetarians if they ever think about all the bugs, worms, mice,
birds, rabbits and such, That are killed planting and harvesting the veggis they like so much... :lol2:

I think trying to be a true vegan would be like trying to buy only things made in the USA.

Cal

i guess vegans can't drive a car either ?
if an insect splattered on the windshield, that would be murder.

what about honey ? would that be slavery ?

what about a vegan with head lice ? ;-)

What about a vegan yoga instructor that literally hugs and talks to trees? My brother in law's sister fits this description and I just gotta say she ain't lookin too good.

cross_7":2o91ncwk said:
i guess vegans can't drive a car either ?
if an insect splattered on the windshield, that would be murder.

what about honey ? would that be slavery ?

what about a vegan with head lice ? ;-)
Hey cross, the book of vegans says if you're serving other vegans ere on the side of caution and don't serve honey.

All of the above is symtomatic of a society that is overly affluent, spoiled beyond salvation, devoid of real responsibility and desperately out of touch with the reality of life.

unfortunately these folk now outnumber the sane and as a result we are embroiled in a hopeless political morass of "hope and change": another meaningless mantra that brought an unqualified and unexperienced career politician with good speaking skills and good writers to the white house.

john250":1bosqjaj said:
Jogeephus":1bosqjaj said:
I understand a true vegan even refuses to use anything manufactured from animals - including insects.

I believe the vegans usually attempt to substitute hemp fiber for animal products in the clothing.
Hemp as in cannabis sativa? You would think that would make them pretty mellow

MO_cows":2vlqq4ku said:
Did he seem like he was really listening the the answers to his questions and taking in information, or was his mind already made up?

He actually ate a little meat and wanted to buy some packages from me since .. HE SAID, "the meat industry puts poison in the meat as filler". But you are right about global warming. His unshakeable belief that man is the sole cause of global warming was equivalant to my belief in God. I nailed him on this issue and thoroughly confused him with facts but it was a waste of CO2. Yes it was interesting but I think he was used to having a captive younger audience. ;-)

Caustic Burno":2vlqq4ku said:
It is official you have lost it, you definitely need a vacation.

Yeah or maybe if the postal service wouldn't take every holiday off and start delivering the mail on time. Seems I get like this when my issue of the National Enquirer is late. :lol2:

Dun":2vlqq4ku said:
]Hemp as in cannabis sativa? You would think that would make them pretty mellow

Would me. Probably make me want a burger and fries. Maybe a jelly donut or three.

My question is why people choose to become a vegan/vegetarian. Was there a traumatic situation? Did there parents raise them that way? Do they believe meat/eggs/dairy are really that bad for them? I don't know anyone that's either.

iowa hawkeyes":sffzzk0x said:
My question is why people choose to become a vegan/vegetarian. Was there a traumatic situation? Did there parents raise them that way? Do they believe meat/eggs/dairy are really that bad for them? I don't know anyone that's either.

I'm sure there are lots of reasons, but for many it's a 'moral decision'... see the above response from pdfangus. Pretty well sums it up.

iowa hawkeyes":cfhs3a7q said:
My question is why people choose to become a vegan/vegetarian.
If John is right, its my guess that they spend too much time smoking their sweaters and socks to think straight.

pdfangus":28q2vamy said:
All of the above is symtomatic of a society that is overly affluent, spoiled beyond salvation, devoid of real responsibility and desperately out of touch with the reality of life.

unfortunately these folk now outnumber the sane and as a result we are embroiled in a hopeless political morass of "hope and change": another meaningless mantra that brought an unqualified and unexperienced career politician with good speaking skills and good writers to the white house.
:clap:

angie":2s7y54pq said:
If John is right, its my guess that they spend too much time smoking their sweaters and socks to think straight.
:lol: :lol: :clap: .
As far as I know the cannabis that is used for clothing is a different species to the one that gets smoked.

Sometimes health reasons..Friend of mine developed severe stomach pains whenever she ate eggs,meat,wheat,and some other things.Not sure what the trigger is. She can eat fish every once in a while,trys to tell me tofu tasts good(blah!) She does not want to chance an attack by trying grassfed beef or freerange/homegrown eggs,chicken. One of my Drs said he'd just gotten out of anatomy class,went to a bar-b-q. They had racks of pork ribs in the cooker-anyhow,he said he threw up for a couple of days,can't eat meat now. I think some people have too much imaganition for their own good.. I can see the "sameness" but know it's pork/beef----and tastes good..

peg4x4":2gdlvpuk said:
Sometimes health reasons..Friend of mine developed severe stomach pains whenever she ate eggs,meat,wheat,and some other things.Not sure what the trigger is. She can eat fish every once in a while,trys to tell me tofu tasts good(blah!) She does not want to chance an attack by trying grassfed beef or freerange/homegrown eggs,chicken. One of my Drs said he'd just gotten out of anatomy class,went to a bar-b-q. They had racks of pork ribs in the cooker-anyhow,he said he threw up for a couple of days,can't eat meat now. I think some people have too much imaganition for their own good.. I can see the "sameness" but know it's pork/beef----and tastes good..
tofu,, chinese bologna

Latest posts