Joy in Texas

Reaction score
I bought these 2 heifers sunday.
this one is 7 months old
10-16-06_026.jpg

And this one is 6 months old.
10-16-06_030.jpg

10-16-06_028.jpg

I'll get some better pictures after they calm down alittle.

I'm not familular with the breed but they look like they are carrying a lot of "undercarriage leather" for heifers, expecially the 1st one. Is that normal for them?

Nice heifers Joy. I really like the painted one.

Sidney411, how could any self respecting - south central Texan not know about Beefmaster cattle? ;-)

Nice looking heifers.

Judging by the 10' tall panels, they must have a high jumping EPD. :lol:

cfpinz

jack.diamond":2wyb6ymr said:
Joy,

You like those those painted ones dontcha :)

Jack
Yes sir Mr. Jack I do like the painted ones,but I also like the solids lol. I just think the paints are an eye catcher.

sidney411":2p89e0ll said:
I'm not familular with the breed but they look like they are carrying a lot of "undercarriage leather" for heifers, expecially the 1st one. Is that normal for them?
Alot of beefmasters have an undercarriage such as hers. By the time she is a year or so It won't be all that bad. The problem with her is she was takened off her mom a couple of weeks ago and she didn't like her feed,so she lost some weight. In a couple of months I'll take some more pic's to show you how she will change.

cypressfarms":1yzu2iht said:
Nice heifers Joy. I really like the painted one.

Sidney411, how could any self respecting - south central Texan not know about Beefmaster cattle? ;-)
Thank you. The paint is my favorite one. She's a little spirited though.

those are some nice looking heifers.i like the solid red the best.she would go good with my beefmaster bull.an i love the paint heifer.joy your making me want to go to a beefmaster sale.but i wont go to 1 till dec when i go to the bull sale.

cfpinz":3efk8v6m said:
Nice looking heifers.

Judging by the 10' tall panels, they must have a high jumping EPD. :lol:

cfpinz
LOL not sure if they are jumpers,they haven't tried anything yet. But its best to be safe than sorry. I had those panels left over from a limo pen. I did need them there. matter of fact I could have used a 16 ft. lol

Joy in Texas,

I made some Beefmaster/Charolais crosses this year, the calves will be due next April. The bull I used is exactly the same color as the first heifer. Just wondering if you have had any experience with this type cross :?:

bigbull338":3218kxwr said:
those are some nice looking heifers.i like the solid red the best.she would go good with my beefmaster bull.an i love the paint heifer.joy your making me want to go to a beefmaster sale.but i wont go to 1 till dec when i go to the bull sale.
Thank you. Do you have a picture of your bull ? what sale are you going to in dec.? I mean where is it ? I had my first bull calf borned last Tuesday. Mom is keeping him pretty well hidden.

MountainFarmChar":wloolf7v said:
Joy in Texas,

I made some Beefmaster/Charolais crosses this year, the calves will be due next April. The bull I used is exactly the same color as the first heifer. Just wondering if you have had any experience with this type cross :?:
Oh I would like to see the calves. No I haven't crossed with charolais. We had a bad experience with charolais years back. Hubby won't allow them on the property. But I did with red limo's. The turned out pretty good. I am breeding the heifers back to a beefmaster bull. Who is your bull out of ?

He came from a ranch in Arkansas I don't remember the lineage names on his papers, really I bought him based on what I saw in him and his sire and dam. I must say he is the most docile and easy handled bull I have ever seen and I have been around cattle all my life, he's just a big baby. However, a beefmaster cross is about the most ear and navel buyers in my area will tolerate, too much ear and navel really get docked at the sale barns. I'm expecting some yellow colored fast growing calves but we will see :?:

joy its the lone star beefmaster breeders assoc bull sale in sulphur springs texas. the sale will be in dec on a saturday.i cant find the sale date right off tho.

MountainFarmChar":1ank45s2 said:
He came from a ranch in Arkansas I don't remember the lineage names on his papers, really I bought him based on what I saw in him and his sire and dam. I must say he is the most docile and easy handled bull I have ever seen and I have been around cattle all my life, he's just a big baby. However, a beefmaster cross is about the most ear and navel buyers in my area will tolerate, too much ear and navel really get docked at the sale barns. I'm expecting some yellow colored fast growing calves but we will see :?:

You're going to like the char Beefmaster cross. The only problem we had was the heifers getting to big to keep for replacements.

Most of the calves will still show some ear and navel . But they will make up for it in pounds.

I like those heifers and I especially like a paint. Guess that's one of the things that I like with my Longhorns too. My dad is still doing some Char x beefmaster crosses. Usually gets a cream colored calf, takes off some of the leather. They make great calves. Grow off well and they're huge.

MountainFarmChar":3ndnr4a5 said:
WORANCH,

Thanks for the information.

Do you think my expectation of getting yellow colored calves is correct :?:

you should get a bunch of yellows, probably several whites, and maybe a few reds. are the charolais cows purebreds and are they white white or offwhites? the offwhites throw more reds. some of your yellows may be a dirty looking color resulting from some brindling genes gone crazy. but you are correct to expect mostly yellows.

Latest posts