Beefmaster Calf Comparison

Help Support CattleToday:

Bull 4

And for good measure, my herd bull pictured at 17 months. He has too much color for some. I'll take my chances. He's the paternal 1/2 brother to the sire listed as "Bull 3". He is the maternal 1/2 brother to the bull calf listed under "Bull 4".

I like these. I have some Beefmasters that I cross breed with my black Angus bull. They are my fastest growing calves and bring the most when I sell them. They do not bring as much a pound as the Angus and Simangus, but their weight makes up for it. I just bought a beautiful light colored Beefmaster heifer. My husband bought a dark red cow and her month old heifer calf. I must say Beefmasters are my favorite. Yours look really good!

Nice looking crop of calves EC. I got a couple that look like some of yours. I really like that mott face heifer what is her pedigree if you want to sell her I might be interested.

I saw all of these calves last week. the polled red calf is my favorite and I believe Buster is planning to keep him in his herd. The bulls were nice, but he has some of the nicest heifer calves I have ever seen.

I appreciate the kind comments. Tear into them if you'd like. Only 3 of them are mine, and 2 of those are by recent acquisition of cow/calf pairs.

I may not have been very clear in my post. These calves were sired by 4 different bulls. I posted each picture under the respective sire (Bull 1, 2, 3, and 4).

The calves from bull 1 are both from 12 year old mommas that have done well for a long time. The calves from bull 2 are both from first calf heifers. The calves from bulls 3 and 4 are all from cows, I believe, that range from 7-9 years old.

Waco, the heifer you inquired about goes back to Buster 260 and Lasater 513 (retired Lasater Ranch herdsire and semen bull) on the top. Her dam standing in the picture is from Lasater 7615 (another retired Lasater Ranch bull and trait leader for milk at one time). She's not mine to sell. If she was, the price would reflect my desire to not sell her.

D&C, You and I both thought that color played no part in the Beefmaster breed. However, if you look at some of the performance test requirements and restrictions these days, it's becoming increasingly apparent that only red Beefmaster bulls grow. At first, there was an attack on the paints. Then, the attack moved on to bald face bulls (without regard for pigmentation). Eventually mottle faced bull had too much color. Now, there's even complaints if there's so much as a speck of white on the underline. I never new white was so growth prohibitive. My bull weaned at 745. His growth potential would allow him to compete well in a performance test, but I'm not sure he'd get past the visual appraisal...not for sheath, feet, or structural soundness...just color. Go figure. I know of 4 performance tests, and only OHOA has no color restrictions. :tiphat: to those folks for staying the course for what Tom Lasater intended when he purposefully created a great herd and accidentally formed a breed.

Dogs and Cows":34j1weln said:
I don't understand your comment about your herd sire's color being too much for some??? I didn't think color played any part in the Beefmaster breed??? All those bulls look great!!

Tim
what he ment by that statement is his bull has some paint on him.wich could paint his calves up pretty good.sale barns will dock the painted up calves.i bought a paint reg beefmaster bull to put the paint on my reg calves.

bigbull338":2xv13r16 said:
Dogs and Cows":2xv13r16 said:
I don't understand your comment about your herd sire's color being too much for some??? I didn't think color played any part in the Beefmaster breed??? All those bulls look great!!

Tim
what he ment by that statement is his bull has some paint on him.wich could paint his calves up pretty good.sale barns will dock the painted up calves.i bought a paint reg beefmaster bull to put the paint on my reg calves.

Actually, to be more accurate, I was referring to the brown coat. He started dun with a little bit of brown and turned mostly brown. The white underline (that may be referred to by many as chrome) doesn't make this bull a paint. The term paint also gets thrown around too loosely within the breed. The quality of the animal should be a Beefmaster breeder's top priority. When a breeder has culled for the six essentials and still has too many replacement heifers, that's about the time color and horn status should become relevant.

EC

Nesikep":1po70qji said:
Bull #1 is definitely a cull.. he can't read the "Danger, Keep clear" sign!

I like Bull 2's son if he were polled

That calf is failing the IQ test, isn't he? One might say he's displaying hardiness, one of the six essentials. Perhaps he's just looking for the switch to get dump or 2 of cubes. :nod:

EC

i dont have the problem of to meny heifers.as i have people come in after the reg cows calve and pick through the heifer calves.right now i could sell or swap 2 heifer calves with ease at weaning time if i wanted to.

East Caney":1rvvaf0k said:
I appreciate the kind comments. Tear into them if you'd like. Only 3 of them are mine, and 2 of those are by recent acquisition of cow/calf pairs.

I may not have been very clear in my post. These calves were sired by 4 different bulls. I posted each picture under the respective sire (Bull 1, 2, 3, and 4).

The calves from bull 1 are both from 12 year old mommas that have done well for a long time. The calves from bull 2 are both from first calf heifers. The calves from bulls 3 and 4 are all from cows, I believe, that range from 7-9 years old.

Waco, the heifer you inquired about goes back to Buster 260 and Lasater 513 (retired Lasater Ranch herdsire and semen bull) on the top. Her dam standing in the picture is from Lasater 7615 (another retired Lasater Ranch bull and trait leader for milk at one time). She's not mine to sell. If she was, the price would reflect my desire to not sell her.

D&C, You and I both thought that color played no part in the Beefmaster breed. However, if you look at some of the performance test requirements and restrictions these days, it's becoming increasingly apparent that only red Beefmaster bulls grow. At first, there was an attack on the paints. Then, the attack moved on to bald face bulls (without regard for pigmentation). Eventually mottle faced bull had too much color. Now, there's even complaints if there's so much as a speck of white on the underline. I never new white was so growth prohibitive. My bull weaned at 745. His growth potential would allow him to compete well in a performance test, but I'm not sure he'd get past the visual appraisal...not for sheath, feet, or structural soundness...just color. Go figure. I know of 4 performance tests, and only OHOA has no color restrictions. :tiphat: to those folks for staying the course for what Tom Lasater intended when he purposefully created a great herd and accidentally formed a breed.

Sounds like she is a little to close related to my bull but she sure is pretty. If she was mine I would price her right there with what I paid for my Who Dat x Oasis Too heifer. So far my bull is putting mostly sold reds on the ground a little bit of white and one bald face. I like the looks of your bull but I know what you mean. Is Texoma going solid red there where a lot of different colors up there with a few tigers and one black.

REDBULL34":3iixx0p9 said:
I saw all of these calves last week. the polled red calf is my favorite and I believe Buster is planning to keep him in his herd. The bulls were nice, but he has some of the nicest heifer calves I have ever seen.

I got one that is polled and looks a lot like that polled bull. Also got one that looks just like the bull in the second pic under bull number 2.

Couldn't get bull 4 to turn his head the correct way but I guess they don't breed with or use there head for anything but to eat with. I have some other pics of his calves I'll put up once i figure it out. bull 3 sure isn't as pretty as his sire but his calves sure look good, that is 956 correct?

J&D Cattle":17fksdqc said:
Call me a meat gazer but bull 1 has the longest sack I've ever seen on a bull.

My fiancé would be proud of you. That's about all she can tell me about on any bull I show her.

Me - "What color was the bull?"
Her - "43 cm"
Me - :roll:

Me - "What do you think about his top line?"
Her - "43 cm"
Me - :mad:

Bull 1 is 9 years old in that pic (taken last year). This bull (4 years old in the pic) isn't far behind.

Latest posts