Beefmaster Bull??

Help Support CattleToday:

cjcrowder

Reaction score
I have an angus/black baldy herd of commercial mama cows in central GA. In the past I've run Charolais bulls and Angus bulls. I'm looking to possibly switch things up a bit. I'm very curious and interested in the Beefmaster breed. I was wondering if anyone had any experience or thoughts on running a Beefmaster bull on my herd. In this area, having too much ear can hurt a bit at the barn as well as not having a black hide. That's really my only concerns. I'm also wanting a red polled bull. Any input would be much appreciated.

Personally I would look at a good clean Brangus. Less Brahman influence, black and polled. You still get the shot of Brahman hybrid vigor to mash the scales.
The other option is Red Brangus.

A good Beefmaster should work, but
Caustic has a pretty good idea with the Brangus too. If you are set on a red bull with Brahman influence Samta Gertrudis may be easier to find than red Brangus at least they are here. There are also some polled ones too.

You might also consider going just down the road to Florida and getting one of the Adams Ranch Abeef bulls. Red and polled: 1/2 Adams Ranch Braford, 1/4 Red Angus, 1/4 Gelbvieh.

This bull on an Angus base would give you cows to retain that are 5/8 Angus, 1/4 Braford, 1/8 Gelbvieh. Pretty interesting.

That touch of Braford would give you greater environmental adapatability and heterorsis without a lot of leather. I am not wild about most Brafords because of temperament and size, but the Adams not only started the breed but their Brafords remain sort of a strain apart. They were created before Herefords and Brahmans got so big. And they were created and stayed in the crucible of mid-south Florida. I grew up there, and the heat and humidity and forage challenges are major. The Adams have something like 9,000 Braford cows and growing numbers of this new Abeef composite, made to increase carcass quality and yield. They sell bulls at about two major auctions a year and by private treaty.

your gonna get some color out of those red carrier mammies....personally I like that cross..have some,and would love more..rather though if it were possible that the bull be Angus, over BM cows...if you go with a beefmaster bull, do your homework...and search for a thick, deep,and clean,and solid color red..that goes back several generations or a homozygous black..if you can find one..

Polled black beefmasters or just black beefmaster bulls are available. If you don't want more ear, take a look at ultrablack cattle... similar to Brangus but with less Brahman.

The only beef master breeder I know, tells me there is something in the wood pile on a bunch of the black beef masters.

Bigfoot":1f1gg2i7 said:
The only beef master breeder I know, tells me there is something in the wood pile on a bunch of the black beef masters.

There are no black Beefmaster that's getting your leg peed on and told it's raining.
Black Beefmaster don't exist like those talking M&M's. Like black Limm's SIMM etc. there is Angus in the woodpile.
If your going to use Angus genetics get the real thing.
Brahman
https://v8ranch.com/brahman-pigment/

Black Hereford aren't recognized by the AHA

Never seen a black SH

So if a Beefmaster is roughly half Brahman 1/4 Hereford and Shorthorn where did that black hide come from.

Back when beefmaster was coming on strong here...they had a """Breed up""" program..not being strict enough ,great for the breeders, not so much for the breed..i remember a old Brahman breeder that hated em..called em mongrels.. and can be hard to argue his point..even from a composite standpoint :cowboy:

ALACOWMAN":9nvxqxs5 said:
Back when beefmaster was coming on strong here...they had a """Breed up""" program..not being strict enough ,great for the breeders, not so much for the breed..i remember a old Brahman breeder that hated em..called em mongrels.. and can be hard to argue his point..even from a composite standpoint :cowboy:

The breed Lassiter developed had no black cattle. Now the dollar bill enters the room followed by black hide.

Caustic Burno":2dvmuvgd said:
ALACOWMAN":2dvmuvgd said:

The breed Lassiter developed had no black cattle. Now the dollar bill enters the room followed by black hide.
Lassiter did have few black individuals in the foundation herd. If I remember correctly, they did used few Indu Brazilian, Nelore and Gyr in the creation of beefmaster, not just Brahman, which can be explains why you have beefmasters comes in many colors. Not all black beefmaster has Angus in them.

Muddy":2byjpn6g said:
Caustic Burno":2byjpn6g said:
ALACOWMAN":2byjpn6g said:

Lassiter did have few black individuals in the foundation herd. If I remember correctly, they did used few Indu Brazilian, Nelore and Gyr in the creation of beefmaster, not just Brahman, which can be explains why you have beefmasters comes in many colors. Not all black beefmaster has Angus in them.

Source material please.

I read a story online recenlty about Lorenzo Lasater of Isa Beefmasters, TX, sold a half a dozen or so blacks that had arisen in his herd to a guy breeding black Beefmasters. Not sure if it was on his web site or not—

http://www.isacattleco.com/

—but here is what he writes there in an article "50 Shades of Beefmasters":

People often ask me about my position on color. The L Bar herd is mostly red. I have been selecting for red for more than 15 years. The color runs from very light red to deep cherry red. We still have some cattle with white on their faces or bellies, but we have actively culled any paints, blacks, brindles or other off-colors.

Mossy Dell":3gx8xhsj said:
I read a story online recenlty about Lorenzo Lasater of Isa Beefmasters, TX, sold a half a dozen or so blacks that had arisen in his herd to a guy breeding black Beefmasters. Not sure if it was on his web site or not—

http://www.isacattleco.com/

—but here is what he writes there in an article "50 Shades of Beefmasters":

People often ask me about my position on color. The L Bar herd is mostly red. I have been selecting for red for more than 15 years. The color runs from very light red to deep cherry red. We still have some cattle with white on their faces or bellies, but we have actively culled any paints, blacks, brindles or other off-colors.

Never seen an "original " that wasn't a shade of red, some having lot of chrome.

The black phenomenon appears in a lot of breeds today. Difference is the Beefmaster is sold as a composite along with others Brangus, Braford, Gerts etc. not as something they are not.

Well, Beefmasters can come in black without Angus being added, if you believe the grandson of the breed's founder. Which I do. I also believe others have added Angus.

Anyway, the fellow who wrote wants a red, polled bull.

I'm just giving the fellow some ideas and that there are purebred beefmaster bulls available to him, either black or red.

Mossy Dell":3w36r4mq said:
Well, Beefmasters can come in black without Angus being added, if you believe the grandson of the breed's founder. Which I do. I also believe others have added Angus.

Anyway, the fellow who wrote wants a red, polled bull.

Don't you find it somewhat ironic that none of the black ones showed up for sale in the 50's,60's and 70's. Hmm CAB got up and running and wahlah black breeds were being found in pastures nationwide.

Thank all of y'all for your input. A Brangus or an Ultrablack would probably be the most logical choice for me, but there's something about the Beefmaster breed that is so interesting to me.

Latest posts