Beefalo

Help Support CattleToday:

JeffMills517

Reaction score
I know most beefalo were created with hereford and charolais blood. Are there any other breeders of beefalo that used different breeds?

JeffMills517, if you do a search for Beefalo, you will find many threads from long ago on Cattle Today. "Mylum" comes to mind.

I saw some bison on someone's farm a few years ago, and those animals were something else! Extra tall fencing required. The ground absolutely thundered when they galloped. And they roll in the dust a lot! Fascinating to watch, but I sure couldn't own any.

Jeff,
20+ years ago, when I was in veterinary practice in southern middle TN, I had a few clients who bred Beefalo; one had significant amounts of Red Angus and some Brahman influence in hers, the other guy had Angus/Chiangus influence as the predominant B.taurus genetic contribution.

Based on those two herds, there's no way in lleh that I'd ever have one of the things on my place. Maybe they're not all that way, but the ones I had to work with were all crazy as Hades, and needed stouter working facilities than either of these folks had in place.

There used to be a gent outsdie of Oakdale, ca named Bill Cody. He had a half Holstein half Buffalo steer that he rode in parades. He also had a copule of pure buffalo inside of a PSP fence 8 foot high welded to 4 inch posts set about 4 foot apart.

No, TT. I worked mainly in Giles Co, with short forays into Lawrence, Maury, Lincoln and Limestone(AL) counties.
These were small producers, well off the main roads, sort of in the Lynnville and Tarpley Shop areas.
One of them, I know is no longer in the cattle business. The other guy(my 'next door' neighbor)...I dunno; haven't heard of him in 20 years - his FIL got him started with beefalo, but last I heard, had switched over to breeding Gelbvieh/Balancers, and he may have done likewise.

The breeder close to Lynnville in Giles Co. was Joe Warren. I have not heard what he was breeding last but we bought a Beefalo bull from him many years ago. Ours was Brangus based. His registration papers showed American Bison and Brangus. He was dog gentle and as easy to work as any bull we ever used. I still have cross bred cows that go back to him. We used him on Beefmaster cows. Of course my crossbred cows now all have Longhorn blood on the top side as that is the only breed of bull that I run.

Hey, Roger.
You're right - I couldn't think of his name to save my life, but it was Joe Warren - Joe's SIL, Larry Bailey, over on Amos Hamlett Rd.(his farm adjoined the place we owned), also had beefalo - but his weren't 'dog-gentle', by any stretch of the imagination. K.Kressenberg, who was up toward the back side of Milky Way had beefalo with a Red Brangus base (and I worked on one 3/4 Bison-1/4 Brahman cow for her- one time; WILD and CRAZY!!!).
Seems like Mr. Witt, up on Yokley Rd., told me that Joe W. was raising Gelbvieh/Balancers - but that was a number of years ago; he may still have beefalo, or may have moved on to yet another breed.

TT - I've been gone from Giles Co. for 20 years, but to me, it's still the prettiest place on earth.

Latest posts