Another breed debate. Beefalo VS Simmentals

Help Support CattleToday:

What happened to the Charles Goodnight bison herd?
He crossed them with cattle.as did everyone else.
Some of his bulls are what was used to start the Yellowstone herd.along with some woodland bison cows that remained. Wich is why they Yellowstone herd has cattle dna.
His animals where also used as foundation animals in other herds as well.All known bison in the us have been traced back to 5 domestic herds all of wich crossed them with cattle.
But some have difficulty accepting scientific research based in science but would rather bury their head in the sand and believe what billy bob taught them. It's one thing to disagree and actually have the knowledge and ability to debate different points of view ,but it is quite redundant to have those that jump up and down crying your wrong your wrong but aren't willing to actually debate the facts or various points of view.
A article that discusses some of Texas an and m genetic bison research wich some may find interesting,and some will say research from a renowned vet school is suspect. To each their own!

Last edited:
When I worked the Anadarko oil patch around Elk City Ok in the late 80s-early 90s, there was a place in El Reno that served both bison burgers and Beefalo burgers, and steaks. We frequented it often but I never did get used to the dry taste of the bison burger and the one chicken fried bison steak I had was one of the toughest,, stringiest I ever tried to chew. The beefalo burger was definitely better tasting than the straight bison burger and the bison ribeye steak was 'different' but not something I would eat regularly by any means. Way Too bland and lean and that same dry taste even med rare..
We've are some over the years. Definitely need to add beef fat during the burger grinding process.

That was an amazing time in western okla, you could stand on a rig floor and count the rigs in sight at night
Yes it was. But gawd it was COLD and windy!! Nothing but a few barbed wire fences between there and the Canadian border to slow down that wind.

I was doing some contract work on a H&P rig up near Woodward one time that didn't involve much and I got to know the toolpusher pretty good. One morning he came and told me one of the young floor hands didn't show up, said 'Carson's a good hand but he does this every once in awhile and somebody has to go get him but I can't leave this morning, could you go get him if I give you directions?" "Sure I got nothing going on this morning"..
So he drew me a map. Way out in the middle of nowhere at a little farmhouse looking residence, not a tree or bush in sight anywhere. It was freezing cold with sleet. I had to almost beat on the door and I guess it was his wife came to the door..barely and I mean BARELY dressed in the front. I told her I was there to pick up Carson. She said, "Wait here, I'll get him" and when she turned to go, she weren't covered atall in the back. I remember thinking "Heck, I'd probably stay in bed too".
I went and got in the warm truck and when he came out, he walked over to a clothesline and got his insulated coveralls. When he went to put em on, they stood straight out in front of him, frozen stiff.
I wonder if the Parker rig 114 is still in downtown Elk City?

Last edited:
I wonder if the Parker rig 114 is still in downtown Elk City?

That it is. Or at least it was a couple years ago, last time i was in that part of elk city.

I lived and worked there a few years myself and i never remembered it being THAT cold and windy.😂😂 but i worked in a lab so maybe that had something to do with it🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️