BEEFALO

Help Support CattleToday:

rayzor

Reaction score
Hi i am very interested in breeding beefalo cattle.
1) what are the down sides of breeding beefalo, coz everything i read on the net says how great they are. If they are so great how come everybody is-int breeding beefalo??

2) Is their anyone in the UK or Ireland breeding beefalo??

3) Has anybody actually eaten beefalo?? is it as tasty as they make out...

Too many discussions on here about them to post the links.
Use the search function at the top and search for the subject beefalo.
You'll get more hits then you'll want to look at

The meat is very low fat and tasty. The down side on them is the narrow rearends when it comes the calving, also keeping your percentage in the range to keep them beefalo. :p

Every one I ever dealt with when I was in practice - and thankfully, there weren't but 3 or 4 herds of them in my practice area - were crazy as hell and would tear all but the sturdiest corral/alley/chute all to pieces. Better have some topnotch working facilities if you go that route.
Sure, the meat may be lean, but so is a cull Holstein dairy cow. Without some marbling, the eating quality will suffer, and more and more evidence is accumulating to show that docile animals produce better beef.
I'm guessing all the stuff you're seeing about how great they are is from folks who raise 'em. You'll see much of the same claims from any breed association or breeder. They're not a new breed, and you pose the telling question - If they're so great, how come everybody isn't raising 'em?
Suit yourself, but I wouldn't be going there. I'm too old, fat, and slow to tolerate wild, crazy cattle, and I prefer to be producing something that sells for a decent price.

They also had issues with fertility when they were breeding back and forth trying to "stabilize" the breed.

Latest posts