Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
https://easttexas.craigslist.org/grd/d/bonham-angus-beef-angus-steers/7119320192.html

If a person bought these steers for the freezer how much meat wrapped and ready for the freezer. Also how much per pound would be your final cost. I have not had a steer processed for many years as it is just the wife and I.

I would go to the market, buy one and take to the slaughter house instead.

Do I understand that correctly that these calves weigh 650 lbs and he wants $1,500 ($2.30 per lb) for them.... and then another $4 per day for at least 120 days. But to get to a slaughter weight of 1,200 lbs it will be a lot longer than that. So $2000-$2400 for a fat steer if things go well, and another $500 or so (depending on processing rates) makes for a pretty pricey beef and a long wait for it.

Three things.
The steer pictured weighs more than 650, so what does the 650 imply?
Second, $4 is making bank right there. Wish I could feed other people's steers for $4/day.
Finally third, any one reading that isn't going to know who garner is, or really care.

A close friend of mine is selling all of the slaughter steers he can get right now. He is charging $2.30/lb hanging weight. But, the majority of his are dairy/beef crosses.

As a side note, the day he took mine last week he had one of his he was taking also. I thought mine was pretty big, but his made mine look small on the trailer. But, my steer had a hanging weight of 675lb, and his, even though bigger, only had a hanging weight of 5 something.

I am excited to get my meat later this week because I had him on corn for about 6 months and he finished out nicely without being too fat.

I bought a fat heifer at the sale 3 or 4 weeks ago. Weighed 1,135 and cost me $635. Hung up 650 pounds, 57%. Owned her for 2 days. Not corn fed but in real good condition. She had been eating real good where ever she came from. I had a T bone last night. Not the best I have ever had but a long ways from the worse.