• Hereford

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A mix of the 2 seems like a good idea

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Radi Cilo

Reaction score
Hello.
I am only 14, and am wondering some things on cattle farming.
Both my grandparents on either side of my family had cattle farms.

I am most interested in beef cattle.
Particulaly Hereford (sp?) or Angus.

Here are some things I am wondering:

1. What is the average price per head on an anugs steer, female and bulls?
2. Is there any special pound and cost ratio for angus cows?
3. Are these cows easy or hard to raise?

^ Same questions for Hereford (sp?).

Thanks

Edit: Pictures welcome (please pictures of your herd/cattle):

-Angus
-Hereford
-Angus-Hereford Mix
-Other Mixes (Including either Angus or Hereford) that are popular and or work good.

-Radi

Radi Cilo":o4jcgvd8 said:
Hello.

Thanks

1. There have been 520 Registered Angus sales reported to the Angus Assn as of May, FY '05. So far, 77 steers have sold at an average price of $1,268; 36,492 bulls have sold at an average price of $3,015; and 14,822 cows have been sold for an average price of $3,017.

2. Registered cattle are generally sold "per head" or "per lot", commercial cattle sell by the pound.

3. Angus cattle are as easy to raise as any other breed. They need the same things. Within every breed, you'll find animals that are hard and easy keepers. Learn about EPDs. Those will help you select animals that will work for you. Good luck...

Radi Cilo":2pg4x1kx said:
Hello.

Thanks

There is no special pricing. People who want the cattle bid against people who also want the cattle. The person who wants her the most wins. You can expect to pay anywhere between $50,000 to $1000 for a registered cow, heifer, or bull though most tend to be in the $1000-4,000 range and there are still a LOT of cattle below $2400 a head. The better the cow, the higher the price (in theory). I have seen cattle lower than they are now; but we are in an up portion of the cattle cycle so high commercial cattle prices are effecting the bottom end of the registered cattle game making $1000 cattle much harder to find. Theoretically when more people go in the cow business because of the current high prices that will eventually lead to more calves being produced which will lower prices and end herd expansions, which will lead to more people culling cows and heifers leading to a market flood and price plummett. If you are patient, the 3rd or 4th year of a down cycle (~2010???) is usually the best time to buy cattle; though the elite cattle remain pricy no matter how bad the rest of us are doing. There are more Angus cattle out there than Herefords (though both breeds are massive enough to provide any level of selection easily); but I think the prices in the registered game of all the major breeds are about the same. It is possible to condemn any of the breeds by focusing on their least profitable examples. Likewise it is just as possible to assemble a very functional set of cows from any of the major breeds. I would spend more time learning about cattle type and selecting which type I want; because there is now so much genetic diversity within the breeds that you can select a set of cattle to fit almost any type and frame requirement from within almost any breed. Trying to raise a type of cattle which doesn't fit your particular management and climate is more of a problem than picking the wrong breed. As was pointed out in another string there have been frame score 1 up to frame 10 Angus and Herefords win stock shows in just the past 50 years(though most of us now try to stay away from those extremes).

If you want some internet browsing, try these links:
http://hereford.org/tailored.aspx
http://www.angus.org/
While I am inclined (at this point) to prefer only the two breeds you were originally interested in; it does not hurt to see what the rest of the cattle business is doing...

http://limousin.o/
http://www.charolaisusa.com/tailored.aspx
http://www.beefmasters.org/main/
http://www.simmental.org/
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/

Thanks.
Now I am a bit less confused :D

Thinking angus/hereford, bull Angus and females hereford. But I am wondering if Angus would raise well in upstate New York.

-Radi

Radi, It is fun to look at the different breeds and speculate on the best for your operation (BUT) if you are a generation removed from the cattle business it is more important to know basics before putting too much emphasis on what breed is best.

You need to realize the cattle are a way to market grass, first and foremost. Put as much planning into your forage base and facilities as you do which breed to select.

Well according to your state cattle breeder's association, Angus (is one of the seven most popular breeds in the state
http://www.tjbailey.com/nybpa/ so somebody is making them work there. I think Angus also thrive in Canada where conditions are even a little more extreme.

Yes, I guess you're right.

I don't know too much about cattle farming to begin with.

All I know is I don't wanna be like my parents sitting in an office all day.

I love the farm :)

No problem. I need to work on a Chevie Silverado and bushog some today; but it has rained all day so I can't put my battery charger on the truck (which naturally is uncovered) and boogying around the place on the tractor (under these circumstances) will only get me stuck and leave ugly tire ruts so I am parked here for the moment.

Brandon, I am a Registered Polled Hereford breeder and both Angus and Hereford are the number 1 and 2 breeds in the Untied States. The cross between these to breeds makes for some really good Black Baldy momma cows that will milk very well and produce and excellent market calf for your operation. This cross between both the Angus and Hereford combine and you get both of these two breeds in one great package. Herefords give you the extra marbling and thickness, while the Angus gives you the milk and also the thickness of the carcass. I hope this helps you out. :cboy:

This thing won't let me vote more than once...dang it! :D

Sorry Branding 'em too..need to use this!

Brandonm2":mwstu9zy said:
Well according to your state cattle breeder's association, Angus (is one of the seven most popular breeds in the state

One? Only one of them? Not #1?, uno?, first?, best?... :D

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz plunk! click click click click

1848":3dgd3e4x said:

Brandonm2":3dgd3e4x said:

What!?!?! I have been too New York State TWICE in my life and I don't presume to know what is or is not the number one breed in New York (though I did see some Angus influence cattle when I was up there). I told him they were more numerous than Herefords nationally. Angus is probably #1 there like in most states (I read once actually that Limousin?!?! was the number one breed in Oklahoma). The New York cattlebreeder's association web site listed Angus as ONE of the most popular breeds there. For all I know from that, New York State could be the world's Shorthorn capital. Shoot me for not having the complete breed registry of every breed in every state in the union on my home computer.

I didn't know Angus also were used for milk?

I have another question: I understand Herefords on average weigh more and have more meat than Angus, but do Angus get more money per pound on average?

Thanks,
-Radi

Angus are awsome milkers that is why we cross angus cows on a Hoisten bull. we keep the heifers make them recip and the bulls go to the stockyard. How much would it cost for a steer that is really good something that will do lots of winning?

Brandonm2":38lb0uum said:
1848":38lb0uum said:

Brandonm2":38lb0uum said:

What!?!?! I have been too New York State TWICE in my life and I don't presume to know what is or is not the number one breed in New York (though I did see some Angus influence cattle when I was up there). I told him they were more numerous than Herefords nationally. Angus is probably #1 there like in most states (I read once actually that Limousin?!?! was the number one breed in Oklahoma). The New York cattlebreeder's association web site listed Angus as ONE of the most popular breeds there. For all I know from that, New York State could be the world's Shorthorn capital. Shoot me for not having the complete breed registry of every breed in every state in the union on my home computer.

You took this post wrong or it just plain went over the top of your head. :) Apparently you did not see a simular post of mine directed at Frankie earlier. I was trying to catch a fish! :lol:

It had nothing to do with your comment. That's why I apologized up front for using it as a "tool". . ;-)

I vote to mix em up. But I dont agree with some of you about the Angus being all that great a maternal cow..thats why I like the hereford influence. Not saying theres not good maternal angus cows..just that I like the herefords better for that. Angus for the carcass..herefords for the maternal..mix em up and youve got the best of both worlds

All your questions about prices and other stuff needs to come from somebody closer to you..that can vary a lot by area. I notice your in NY...youve got somebody up there that can help you. I think her name is Janie from New York City...shes a Simi breeder up there in Semen Valley New York. I use to not have much use for eastern folks but let me tell you....Ive read enough of her postings to know...that lady is all cattle...cattle to the bone. She can show up a lot of men Ive got for neighbors. Maybe she can help you on prices