• Anugs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hereford

• A mix of the 2 seems like a good idea

• Total voters
Radi,

I raise both breeds. I have a small registered Polled Hereford herd, and a small commercial Angus herd. I have one of each bull. I've also been around cattle most of my life. Here are some rules of "thumb", based upon my experiance.

1.) Registered Herefords are usually cheaper to buy/sell than comparable registered Angus. (same is true for commercial stock)
2.) Both would be considered "easy keepers", but the Herefords have a more calm demeanor than the Angus if you're only comparing the two.
3.) In general, a black hide will bring a higher price per pound at auction than other colors.
4.) Herefords are very efficient foragers, have excellent calving ease, cross very well with other breeds, and handle the Tennesse heat reasonably well.
5.) I see the down side to the Herefords to be susceptability to eye problems (pink eye, cancer eye, etc.), udder size/quality, and the lower price they bring at the sale barn.
6.) Angus have the reputation for top quality meat, tops in calving ease, plenty of milk, and crossing well with other breeds.
7.) The only down side I see to Angus is heat tolerance, yet they seem to handle the Tennessee heat only a little worse than the Herefords.

I don't see how you could go wrong creating black baldies. If the route you choose is to go with Hereford cows and an Angus bull, make sure your cows come from lines that milk well. In my opinion, you shouldn't have any problems then.

Hope this was helpful.

1848":2ybkvt89 said:
You took this post wrong or it just plain went over the top of your head. :) Apparently you did not see a simular post of mine directed at Frankie earlier. I was trying to catch a fish! :lol:

It had nothing to do with your comment. That's why I apologized up front for using it as a "tool". . ;-)

Sorry, I did not see (or do not remember) the Frankie post earlier and yes the humour did completely go over my head.

One other drawback on Herefords is that some lines have a higher genetic propensity to prolapse- which they can pass on to their black baldy daughters........

Arnold Ziffle":77ezbzzj said:
Matt, are you essentially saying you believe that, on average, Herefords will out-marble Angus?

(Do I sense a keyboard over in Oklahoma getting revved up?) :)

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: And you weren't talking about mine! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Although I would not say that on average Herefords will out-marble Angus. The right cattle in either breed will do a good job for you. I will never believe that Hereford beef is second to anything for flavor and eating enjoyment. As a rule, Herefords are going to be hard to beat as efficient converters of forage and bringing home a live healthy calf every year. Angus are going to be hard to beat at the market, and in the marbling department. Black baldies will usually sell near the top year in and year out. I am convinced that the old prolapse bloodlines are well-nigh gone.

tapeworm":1lqezkv5 said:
I vote to mix em up. But I dont agree with some of you about the Angus being all that great a maternal cow..thats why I like the hereford influence. Not saying theres not good maternal angus cows..just that I like the herefords better for that. Angus for the carcass..herefords for the maternal..mix em up and youve got the best of both worlds

All your questions about prices and other stuff needs to come from somebody closer to you..that can vary a lot by area. I notice your in NY...youve got somebody up there that can help you. I think her name is Janie from New York City...shes a Simi breeder up there in Semen Valley New York. I use to not have much use for eastern folks but let me tell you....Ive read enough of her postings to know...that lady is all cattle...cattle to the bone. She can show up a lot of men Ive got for neighbors. Maybe she can help you on prices
Tape, Her name is Jeanne Semmi-valley, I think Semen valley may be in So. California.Where is your mind at?I believe she's in upstate, N.Y. ;-)

Well, I think the prolapse problem is under control; but it is NOT completely gone. I did have a stockyard Hereford cow (bloodlines completely unknown) prolapse on me ~3 years ago. It was no big deal. She was prolapsing about 3 weeks pre-calving, the vet helped me put her all back in, (I struggled with it for about 45 minutes before giving in and getting him on the phone) he put some staples in and we used shoe laces to lace up her business end. The vet thought this was the SECOND time this had happened to the young cow. I kept her in corral panels by the house (where I could check on her repeatedly), unstrung the laces on the big day, pulled the calf by hand, laced her back up, took the staples out a month later, pasture bred her, and sent her to the stockyard as a bred cow and got a 550 pound black baldie heifer out of the deal. Of couse somebody who checked their cows a little less would have lost the both of them.

Brandonm2":3cukrh2r said:
The vet thought this was the SECOND time this had happened to the young cow. I kept her in corral panels by the house (where I could check on her repeatedly), unstrung the laces on the big day, pulled the calf by hand, laced her back up, took the staples out a month later, pasture bred her, and sent her to the stockyard as a bred cow and got a 550 pound black baldie heifer out of the deal. Of couse somebody who checked their cows a little less would have lost the both of them.

And now some other poor sucker will go thru stitching her up a third time- if they catch it in time.......

Had a first calf baldy heifer prolapse the other day- with a 3 month old calf at her side....As soon as the calf is weaned and she fattens a little she is going in my deepfreeze...Just as soon get those problem ones out of cycle for good.....

Sorry somebody tricked me at the stockyard. I turned around and I probably tricked somebody else right back. That is how the stockyard works. I didn't AI her or anything. The bull settled her when he was working the other cows. I wasn't going to keep her in my front yard forever afterall (two months of seeing her everytime I stepped out of the house WAS enough). The steer I put in my freezer was MUCH better eating than that little cow would have ever been. It is entirely possible that she will partially prolapse ten times and that she will have ten different owners over the course of her career.

Thanks everyone, this has been ALOT of help!

Special thanks to RW and Tape - Really cleared up questions and my own opinions.

Right now I am really thinking about Angus or Hereford-Angus Mix.

-Radi

Radi Cilo":2e4k9p9v said:
Thanks everyone, this has been ALOT of help!

Special thanks to RW and Tape - Really cleared up questions and my own opinions.

Right now I am really thinking about Angus or Hereford-Angus Mix.

-Radi
You won't go wrong with either or even with straight Hereford.

Yeah I guess you're right.

My grandparents (still) raise (pure-bred) Herefords. Really enjoy it and make good profits.

I still have long time to make my choice.

AZ I think what you heard was the monitor hitting the wall :D

la4angus":3qr2qfrt said:

:lol: :lol:

The Hereford x Angus F1 cross is known to be probably the best and most efficient crossbred commercial cattle on the market with the Tiger stripe being a close second. :)

1848":2ivllads said:
la4angus":2ivllads said:

:lol: :lol:

The Hereford x Angus F1 cross is known to be probably the best and most efficient crossbred commercial cattle on the market with the Tiger stripe being a close second. :)
I don't think she would want Tiger Stripes in New York

Thanks.

All pictures now welcome!
Really want to see Tiger Strips and Angus-Hereford mix.
(See edit)

-Radi

use your search feature at the top of the screen. there have been recents postings of both with photos.