Beef calf pneumonia?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
We vaccinate for and still deal with a lot of purchased calf ills in the fall. I accept that.

Now that we are running more pairs I am seeing pneumonia is sucking calves. I had a couple last fall during a real rainy spell, and now a case this year in mid summer... I did not expect this.

Is this normal, and if so, do I consider vaccinating young calves or the cows or both for pneumonia?

I just had to treat a 6 week old calf 2 times for a respiratory infection recently. First time gave him a shot of Draxxin and for the next few days he looked better every day. About 10 days after the first treatment he was dog sick again. This time I gave him another dose of Draxxin, a single day dose of Baytril plus Banamine. Its been about a week since the last treatment and he seems to be doing fine. Hope this is the end of his illness. I've found the Draxxin/Baytril/Banamine combo will turn around some pretty sick little dudes. Just about have to take out another mortgage to pay for it. Thank goodness they don't require the big dosages a yearling does.

I'm having a few stocker calves that were bought 3-4 months ago coming down with respiratory infections. These are calves that were never sick before.The high heat/humidity we've been having for the past month or so is really stressful to both the animals and their not so young owner.

Lost a 6 week old calf earlier this year to what I think was probably pneumonia. I treated with Nuflor and Banamine and, as was said, he got better for a day but by the next night was struggling again. I went out the next morning to give another treatment and he was dead. I agree that the heat is a factor - at least I believe it was in my case. It seemed to give less time to act.

Heat stress could be a factor. I also noticed most of the cases were calves on a fat heifer. Not sure if they would have benefited from a little more milk or fluids.

Have you considered tubing them as part of the treatment?

Latest posts