Beef Bacon

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
I sold a calf to slaughter yesterday and the customer told me they asked the butcher for some beef bacon. That it was a thing her father-in-law used to eat. Anyone ever heard of it? How do you cook, eat it, etc?

In the late 70's I worked in a logging camp in SE Alaska owned by some people who didn't eat pork. Beef bacon was on the breakfast menu regularly. It tasted fine. A little different than normal bacon but still good. I have no idea where they cut it out of a cow.

You treat it like bacon. Its made similar to pastrami only you don't put all the spices on the outside. Basically what you are doing is corning beef, smoking it then slicing it like bacon. It tends to be on the dry side and in my opinion is best sliced real thin and used as sandwich meat rather than a substitution for real bacon but those who can't eat pork eat it. I also think its a waste of good brisket but that's just me.

I don't know where it comes from but it is good. Almost as good as pork. Way way better than turkey if you're looking for a substitute. Cook it just like normal bacon. What we were getting looked like pork bacon. Best way to eat is in one pound servings. Two on good days :)

Craig Miller":2wo5uqzj said:
I don't know where it comes from but it is good. Almost as good as pork. Way way better than turkey if you're looking for a substitute. Cook it just like normal bacon. What we were getting looked like pork bacon. Best way to eat is in one pound servings. Two on good days :)

Isn't that the best way to eat any kind of bacon?

Bestoutwest":1fayf4kg said:
Craig Miller":1fayf4kg said:

Isn't that the best way to eat any kind of bacon?
:nod:

Way way better than turkey (bacon)
No offense to the beef bacon but the above statement ain't saying much. Had some when I was in hospital last year. Pretty sure it was just strips cut straight from a shoe box with light red stripes painted on e'm.

Me too. Besides being we all paid good money through our checkoff dollars to say, "Beef, its what's for dinner". Didn't say nothing about breakfast. So its not natural. It ain't right. Its going against the grain so to speak. So I'll save the brisket for something good like smoked brisket and that makes for a fine dinner. :lol2:

Jogeephus":1u8hrro5 said:
Muddy":1u8hrro5 said:
Bet it tastes way better than these nasty turkey bacon.

It does. Turkey bacon is just wrong on so many levels.
I won a meat package in Bingo and two packages of turkey bacon came with the prize. I tried it via pan cooking and it's too dry. I tried to be creative with the second package via bacon wraps, ended up ruined the flavor and I fed the whole bacon wrap batch to dogs.

Muddy":34wc95sa said:
Jogeephus":34wc95sa said:
Muddy":34wc95sa said:
Bet it tastes way better than these nasty turkey bacon.

It does. Turkey bacon is just wrong on so many levels.
I won a meat package in Bingo and two packages of turkey bacon came with the prize. I tried it via pan cooking and it's too dry. I tried to be creative with the second package via bacon wraps, ended up ruined the flavor and I fed the whole bacon wrap batch to dogs.

:lol2: :lol2: I wonder if the dogs thought they'd done something wrong. :lol2:

Jogeephus":1ogpie45 said:
Me too. Besides being we all paid good money through our checkoff dollars to say, "Beef, its what's for dinner". Didn't say nothing about breakfast. So its not natural. It ain't right. Its going against the grain so to speak. So I'll save the brisket for something good like smoked brisket and that makes for a fine dinner. :lol2:

I don't know about "beef bacon", but there's nothing wrong with beef for breakfast. Like a T-bone steak with fried eggs, or beef fajita, scrambled eggs, and fried potatoes on a breakfast taco.

Rafter S":1y9fsidc said:
Jogeephus":1y9fsidc said:

I don't know about "beef bacon", but there's nothing wrong with beef for breakfast. Like a T-bone steak with fried eggs, or beef fajita, scrambled eggs, and fried potatoes on a breakfast taco.

You are absolutely right. I stand corrected. I forgot about steak and eggs. Just goes to show how long the honeymoon has been over at my house. :oops: :lol2:
:lol2:

greybeard":cxssw0mq said:
Way way better than turkey (bacon)
No offense to the beef bacon but the above statement ain't saying much. Had some when I was in hospital last year. Pretty sure it was just strips cut straight from a shoe box with light red stripes painted on e'm.

Very descriptive.

Chipped beef on toast (SOS to some of you ;-) ;-) ) is a GREAT way to incorporate beef into breakfast too.... never had beef bacon but would be willing to try it. Canadian bacon is made from the pork tenderloin....maybe beef ...naw, that's a waste of some really good eatin'

I'm not much of an eggs guy. My fraternity had a cook that could only make scrambled eggs for breakfast. Every day it's "Betty, what's for breakfast?" "Oh it's eggs again." Then I'd go fart my way through the day. I'm not sure I can ever eat scrambled eggs again. Now, this beef bacon thing....I'd be willing to give that a try.

farmerjan":6vljag77 said:
Chipped beef on toast (SOS to some of you ;-) ;-) ) is a GREAT way to incorporate beef into breakfast too....
Uh..just No.
Nor will I ever again eat Red Death (some of you know it as corned beef) --what a perfectly good waste of brisket.
barfing-smiley-emoticon.gif

Latest posts