Bear Hunting

Help Support CattleToday:

Bez+":13g0vrsc said:
We kill them in the spring.

Bears are everywhere.

In fact almost all provinces from Ontario and Quebec west are literally overrun with them

Bez+
Do you eat the meat or possibly make hamburger for the dogs.
Tom.

kerley":1udbmhpr said:
Bez+":1udbmhpr said:

Bears are everywhere.

In fact almost all provinces from Ontario and Quebec west are literally overrun with them

Bez+
Tom.

I have tasted it once - never again.

I never eat anything with sharp teeth.

Bear are vermin and common as crows with the population expanding - they do a lot of crop damage as well - would like to see them killed back to the bush lines of pre 1999.

If you want the skin fine - otherwise let them lie - shoot them on sight

Bez+

I tried the meat when I lived in Alaska. I would not have eaten it more than once, but it was served to me as a guest, so I had no choice. I eat about anything, but bear has been checked off the list. :help:

angie":1ej4x06r said:
I tried the meat when I lived in Alaska. I would not have eaten it more than once, but it was served to me as a guest, so I had no choice. I eat about anything, but bear has been checked off the list. :help:

C'mon Angie

You know it is excellent - after all those rotten things a bear eats will tenderise the meat

[Bez]

angie":3dmqerrd said:

We used work some convicts and we offered them the meat off a problem bear we shot in lieu of their normal peanut butter and jelly sandwiches they normally had for lunch. They liked the idea of a BBQ so we made arrangements for the next day. If this had happened today, I think we would be brought up on cruelty charges cause no one would eat the vile mess and most went hungry rather than eat it. Come to think of it, I think coyote tastes better but maybe I'm just picky.

I put bear in with Canada Goose, it's gotta be cooked just right or it is inedible. Both can be greasy and gamey.
Had a bear roast at a hunting camp one time, it was super.
Everything Bez said is right on in this area, they are vermin to farmers, and they are starting to cause problems in the suburbs. Not the bears fault, we used to have a spring bear hunt, tree huggers ended that.

Bez+":2eamvd07 said:
kerley":2eamvd07 said:
Bez+":2eamvd07 said:

Bears are everywhere.

Bez+
Tom.

I have tasted it once - never again.

I never eat anything with sharp teeth.

Bear are vermin and common as crows with the population expanding - they do a lot of crop damage as well - would like to see them killed back to the bush lines of pre 1999.

If you want the skin fine - otherwise let them lie - shoot them on sight

Bez+
I have to agree with you Bez [and all others] I went on a Bear hunt once about 1974, never again, I did not enjoy the Bear hunting at all.
Tom.

I always call my dad the "Great White Hunter" and I've eaten a lot of game of the years. I've eaten bear twice. The first time was really good. The second time we got all the neighbors together for the hunting party and while it was cooking it had the most vile smell and tasted that way too. It was fishy, like the bear had eaten fish and the taste got in it's meat. So we had taters and salads that day. :D

I just got some pics from my daughter - no bears, but the wild turkey have moved into the back yard and the cattle pens. She was taking pics out the kitchen window of them.

Where we live we could simply pull the trigger a few times a year and never go hungry

Cows seem to take up most of the time now

[Bez]

There are lots of bears around here. The quality of the meat really depends on what they were eating and how they were taken. A young bear taken in the fall that has been in the berries or eating apples is pretty good eating. A bear who has been in the creeks eating salmon is bad. I mean real bad. A bear that was chased over several mountains by hounds before it was shot is also bad.

Dave":386nzruw said:
There are lots of bears around here. The quality of the meat really depends on what they were eating and how they were taken. A young bear taken in the fall that has been in the berries or eating apples is pretty good eating. A bear who has been in the creeks eating salmon is bad. I mean real bad. A bear that was chased over several mountains by hounds before it was shot is also bad.

Sorry Dave - it has sharp teeth - you can eat it if you like

I leave them lay - they are meant for skinning not eating in my opinion

[Bez]

Bez, I at least partually agree with you. I am real picky about which ones I would eat. There is a lot more bear that makes good dog food than there is bear that makes table fare. And it is not all about sharp teeth because cougar is real good eating. You just have to watch out for the sinew. A person could wear their teeth out trying to chew cougar sinew. But to each their own.

Dave":2kf82to0 said:
Bez, I at least partually agree with you. I am real picky about which ones I would eat. There is a lot more bear that makes good dog food than there is bear that makes table fare. And it is not all about sharp teeth because cougar is real good eating. You just have to watch out for the sinew. A person could wear their teeth out trying to chew cougar sinew. But to each their own.
The bear I got meat from that came from the Dismal Swamp my hound wouldn;t even eat. He finally hoisted his leg on it to let me know his opinion.

dun":1efntbop said:
Dave":1efntbop said:
The bear I got meat from that came from the Dismal Swamp my hound wouldn;t even eat. He finally hoisted his leg on it to let me know his opinion.

I shot a deer like that once. I was young poor and out of work so I ate on that thing all winter. When I finally got back to work and could afford to buy food I gave what was left of the deer to my sister to feed to her Saint Bernard. He wouldn't eat it. Sure made me feel good.

We hunt them spring and fall-alot of fun-I usually peel the backstraps and eat them. The rest we use for bear bait-the biggest limiting thing to a bear population is big boars killing young cubs so the sow will cycle again-trophy hunting old males actually increases your pooulation. Pretty intense sticking one with a bow.

AGoodBear.jpg

Here's a much skinnier me with a nice chocolate.

P1010329.jpg

Ty with a pretty little bear.

P1010284.jpg

Ty's first record book bear with a bow.

P1010286.jpg

Just under six feet long
bears005.jpg

This hog still out there

Latest posts