Bean Pie

Help Support CattleToday:

Never heard of bean pie, but bean casserole is a thing. The good ones are mostly beans, onions, peppers, but Mom almost always used "bean" casserole to use up leftovers or garden extras, like squash and peas. We called it vomit casserole.

I never would've guessed Pinto Bean pie was a real pie topped with pecans and served with whipped cream!
Seeing the photo of it, I'd give it a go if it was served to me.
I'd certainly give it try, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around "why?". What is the advantage of making/eating this pie compared to, let's say, eating a bowl of beans with pecan pie on the side? (I know I've lived a sheltered life when it comes to various delicacies such as this. Heck, I just discovered spicy mayonnaise last weekend)

I'd certainly give it try, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around "why?". What is the advantage of making/eating this pie compared to, let's say, eating a bowl of beans with pecan pie on the side? (I know I've lived a sheltered life when it comes to various delicacies such as this. Heck, I just discovered spicy mayonnaise last weekend)
Pumpkin crop failure, gotta get something to add filler?

Pumpkin crop failure, gotta get something to add filler?
I'm thinking a depression era invention when people had to make due with what they had and beans were cheap.
The pecans and whipped cream were probably added to grandma's family recipe after WWII.

Mom was 11 at start of the depression 9 kids in the family 7 girls and 2 boys were the youngest. I remember her talking with sisters about the worst meals their Mom made. They all agreed they hated the goose blood soup she would make after they would butcher geese. Nothing went to waste. She claims they all ate it without making a fuss, even Pa.

I liked her story about the girls having to go out in the fields to shock grain. It would be so hot; Pa would put the horses
in the barn. Too hot for the horses, but the kids had to keep working. :)

Grandpa bought his 1st tractor in 1939 a 17 hp John Deere B and thought he really had something.

Last edited:

Latest posts